Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Judy
United States
Cottonwood
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't post much on here, so please be kind to my stupid question.... But the card sleeves that people use for protecting the cards in games like Dominion.... do you send them through a laminator to secure the cards in the sleeve? Or are the cards just placed inside and allowed to slip around a bit? I have purchased a cheap set of card sleeves, but they are very difficult to shuffle and use. I thought about mandatory hand sanitizer and gloves for the players, but that didn't go over too well with my gamers

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bassfisher44 wrote:
Or are the cards just placed inside and allowed to slip around a bit?

Yes. That is why it is helpful to get sleeves that are properly sized for your cards. Cards and sleeves come in various sizes.

You cannot shuffle sleeved cards the same way you shuffle unsleeved cards. Others can give more advice, but for me I generally find that a side shuffle or pile shuffle works best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Abrunhosa
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it'normal they don't feet exactly but they are fabulous to protect the card games!

BTW:

Could you give your opinion here? -> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/393248

Thank you very much!
Carlos Abrunhosa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lundberg
Sweden
Skoghall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I laminate mine, usually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I thought about mandatory hand sanitizer and gloves for the players, but that didn't go over too well with my gamers

laughlaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never even considered this. I've not seen any sleeves and I haven't played enough for gloves or sanitisers. I don't play enough but I'll be looking out for these things.

I am worried about the damage to cards from too much play but getting a few hundred cards laminated just seems really hard.

Is the sanitising because many gamers are greasy and don't wash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Judy
United States
Cottonwood
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
I've never even considered this. I've not seen any sleeves and I haven't played enough for gloves or sanitisers. I don't play enough but I'll be looking out for these things.

I am worried about the damage to cards from too much play but getting a few hundred cards laminated just seems really hard.

Is the sanitising because many gamers are greasy and don't wash?

Some of my gaming friends just don't respect the games! crysoblueshake

I really wish I could get a new set of the trading cards for my old Civilization game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I just bought a laminator.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Judy
United States
Cottonwood
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
Ok I just bought a laminator.....

Which one did you get? I was looking at them too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Peskidesk Laminator (?!) It was $40 on our version of Ebay. So in Amercian that's $20 on Ebay.nz. it sounds ideal for small jobs like cards. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Other/auction-210049062.h...

I decided on reading this thread that my Junta cards are looking pretty ragged and given they are on very light card and the set is nearly irreplaceable I should do something. I also recently got Shadows over Camelot and Mystery of the Abbey. That combined with offering to bring some games to the local gaming group who I've yet to meet made the purchase seem a good idea.

Particularly if a lot of gamers are rough or just blue anorak wearing types who don't wash enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Judy
United States
Cottonwood
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
A Peskidesk Laminator (?!) It was $40 on our version of Ebay. So in Amercian that's $20 on Ebay.nz. it sounds ideal for small jobs like cards. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Other/auction-210049062.h...

I decided on reading this thread that my Junta cards are looking pretty ragged and given they are on very light card and the set is nearly irreplaceable I should do something. I also recently got Shadows over Camelot and Mystery of the Abbey. That combined with offering to bring some games to the local gaming group who I've yet to meet made the purchase seem a good idea.

Particularly if a lot of gamers are rough or just blue anorak wearing types who don't wash enough.

Let me know how it works out for ya, then I may buy one too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bassfisher44 wrote:

Let me know how it works out for ya, then I may buy one too.

I've got it. It seems great. I've even worked out where to buy the laminating sleeves. Now I have to find the time to do the laminating and work out the priority order of which to do when. I suspect it will take several evenings!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Barnesworth
United States
Placerville
Nor-Cal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me To ask stupid question # 2

What is ......... blue anorak wearing type ?

- I assume it's similar to a Herbert -

(can't have Sam killing another thread)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RBundy13 wrote:
Allow me To ask stupid question # 2

What is ......... blue anorak wearing type ?

- I assume it's similar to a Herbert -

(can't have Sam killing another thread)

Yes maybe needs explanation.

Some years ago I had to organise a session here in Christchurch NZ for Terry Pratchett to meet his fans. We filled this 600 seat venue (the local Repertory Theatre).

From an hour before the scheduled start row after row of young guys arrived. [yes there were some female guys as well but they were few in number] One of the most striking factors is over half wore blue anorak's. That is blue waterproof coats.

I mentioned this to the publisher person who said - 'yes Terry is followed by gamers wherever he goes and they all wear these'. She also thought that blue anoraks were very common in the UK and that these had been referred to in a lot of standup.

Terribly rude and unfair. But amusing.

an⋅o⋅rak   /ˈænəˌræk, ˈɑnəˌrɑk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [an-uh-rak, ah-nuh-rahk] Show IPA
–noun 1. a hooded pullover jacket originally made of fur and worn in the arctic, now made of any weather-resistant fabric.
2. a jacket patterned after this, made of any weather-resistant material and worn widely.

Thread killed on a roll of plus 14.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.