Subject: My First Geek Anniversary rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Gibson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink-under any circumstances.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I woke up this morning I realised I’ve been one year on BGG. Well, really I saw it while entering games I played last night with my wife and so I thought to look back at the first games played.

The first games I played after registering were Yinsh, Tamsk, Dvonn, Punct and Zertz. We didn’t have Tzaar yet, obviously, or it would have been played as well. Following that there have been 463 games played. In one year? Really? I wouldn’t have thought I played, on average, more than one game a day.

Especially considering the amount of time spent here, in front of the computer, reading all the profound declarations of my geek buddies. Well, maybe not always profound but thoughtful and entertaining, at the very least.
Which lead me to think on any other ways spending a year on BGG has changed my life.

I seem to value thumbs more than I did before. (When I tell Cindy something I contributed got thumbed she just smiles and nods and says "That’s nice.") I think she’s jealous.

Microbadges have also become somewhat significant. How else would people know that I’m a beer fan except for my microbadge?

Or that
Bill Clay
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh-wooooooo Secret Santa Time Once Again Ahh-Wooooooooooo
mbmbmbmbmb
started me on brewing my own beer this year?

BGG.Con was one of the highlights of the year. All those games. All those great, friendly people who taught us new games or merely shared their enthusiasm with us.

Photos of games; of people playing games; of game pieces, have emerged as something of importance. I can spend considerable amounts of time just browsing through the images available here. I even chronicled the journey of a Queen bee from Hive as we travelled around Maui for crying out loud.

So perhaps my life hasn’t been changed so much as it has been altered. Maybe it’s shifted just a little bit from the ordinary into the uncommon.

However you want to describe it, it has been a pretty good year and I look forward to more of ‘The Geek’ adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's that brown microbadge in the middle that looks like an enema?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gibson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink-under any circumstances.
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
What's that brown microbadge in the middle that looks like an enema?

Whatever it is, I'm glad you have one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin B
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amberaleman wrote:
How else would people know that I’m a beer fan except for my microbadge?

That Canadian flag beside your name is a dead giveaway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on your first year here Bruce!

Say, were you with your wife at BGG.CON 2008? I think we flew there on the same airplane. Way to experience everything Boardgamegeek has to offer in the first year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
'Gratz! And many more, eh? goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gibson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fehrmeister wrote:
Say, were you with your wife at BGG.CON 2008? I think we flew there on the same airplane.

That was us, indeed, James. We're hoping things work out and we can go again this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed my own one year BGG anniversary was five days ago. I think I'll celebrate by finally ordering Twilight Imperium 3rd Ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.