In the Year of the Dragon» Forums » General

Subject: Status rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was organizing some of my games before my wife came home and took a glance at the back of the box for ItYotD. Nice pic, I thought... and wished that my board would lie as flat as the one shown on the back. But then something else caught my attention... the status track.

One player had 53 status, two had 51, and a fourth had 46. COMpared to the 11 games of Dragon that I have played, those scores o nthe Status track seemed obscenely high... was it even possible to gain that much status during the course of the game? I was determine to find out...

Using Mabiweb as a reference, I calculated that recruiting one of each of the younger advisors would give you 34 status. But players also get 4 free recruits (two at the start and two from the WIld cards). Now, the two you get at the beginning are restricted to young advisors, so you could get at most 11 points (Monk and Warrior or Pyrotechnist). SO that comes to a total of 45 status through the free recruits at the start and successfully playing all advisor cards for the younger of the two advisors. From there, they just need another 8 points or so from use of the WIld cards and through the Military Parade action. In the end, I guess it would be possible, though it seems unlikely.

In the games I have played, I think the leader on the Status track usually caps out at about 40, though we don't often see the Military Parade action taken. Is this typical? Has anyone seen the Status track go up to 50?

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesc Sardà
Andorra
Lleida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you...40-45 is normally the maximum for the leader. Military Parade action can be taken but seems impossible more than 50 in the status track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another classic example of box photography by folks who don't know and/or understand the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forget where, but somewhere around BGG is a publicity picture of a game with a sausage mixed in with the box contents. Turns out it was on the table when the photographer arrived, and he didn't know it wasn't part of the game. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha!

Well about the YotD picture... I think the image designer just wanted to have all the markers on the picture. Since only half of the board is included, he had to put them there to make it aesthetically correct.

By the way, if you look close enough you see it isn't a real photo... Just a image made on the computer, which explains the unrealistically flat board that doesn't even have any creases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwridge wrote:
Has anyone seen the Status track go up to 50?

Yep, see http://www.mabiweb.com/modules.php?name=GM_YearDragon&g_id=3...

In 2 player games there's many times a fierce battle over lead posotion on the Person track, and Parading is one of the tricks to resume the lead. In this game we even ended 53-52 http://www.mabiweb.com/modules.php?name=GM_YearDragon&g_id=3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As noted, it really comes down to how much Parading goes on. I find that new players underestimate the value of Military Parade, but as you gain experience it becomes a more attractive option. (I know for me it used to be almost a blank and now it's frequently part of my strategy.)

If two players really fight for PP leadership, they can advance quite far through Parades. Usually this is a serious error unless it's a close game but it can still happen since there's a bit of a Dollar Auction effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.