Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant is very simple. Remove the rule on page 11 of the rule-book that when a second cube is to be placed on an issue for that phase, it costs 2cp instead of 1cp. All cubes always cost 1cp to place. Then, any event card (such as missile gap) that places 2 or 3 on issues instead gets 3 or 5 respectively.

What does this accomplish?
1) Increases issue decision making. Instead of always going for the most bang for the buck by putting support into the issues equally, players have the choice of "piling on". (either to take the top issue or to set up an event card). The opponent can still tit-for-tat or can choose to diversify their spending.

2) Many more cubes on issues means they last longer giving media advertising a boost in usefulness (and the debates a slight boost as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a very good reason why the premium costs are in the rules.

If you want more tactical nuance regarding isssue track play (and, for that matter, advertising), I suggest you use the popular Dunnagan variant (i.e. no cube placement allowed on the issue shown on the card used for that issue positioning action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Media advertising is extremely useful. It is absolutely necessary to have if a player intends to attack a region where his/her opponent is carrying many states (often times the east).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesf wrote:
There's a very good reason why the premium costs are in the rules.

If you want more tactical nuance regarding isssue track play (and, for that matter, advertising), I suggest you use the popular Dunnagan variant (i.e. no cube placement allowed on the issue shown on the card used for that issue positioning action).

Without you stating what those very good reasons are I find it difficult to respond to your statement. So far through our games we have yet to see a problem. Struggles over issues were dynamic and freewheeling and media was a strong way to counter an advantage a player had in issues. While the issues cubes go up to five at times, there are also times in the game where they completely blank out. So far we much prefer this method of being able to place issue support where we want it.

I find the Dunnagan variant adds extra unneeded complexity and restricts tactical choices. The low cost variant maintains free choice similar to what makes the campaigning so nice, the player gets to decide where to put resources in the context of the electoral map. In the context of issue importance, why arbitrarily restrict players on where they place influence? The premium rule forces the efficient minded player to play 3CP cards playing evenly across the issues. In response the other player matches creating a boring add/remove cycle. The Dunnagan variant simply adds more restrictions rather than removes the restrictions that causes the problem in the first place.

I just prefer the free choice of the "low cost" variant versus adding arbitrary restriction onto arbitrary restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.