17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Heroscape, I dont know were to start ?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Nielsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I realy want to start playing heroscape, it looks like one of those boardgames you realy have to own, the only problem is that i realy dont know were to start ?? All those expansions and editions makes me confuse. Im kinda new to boardgames so thats probably why. Can someone plz help me. What do i need to start playing heroscape? like the basic... btw. forgive my bad english.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy one of the base sets. Everything you need is right there to get a sense of the game. All the expansions and such add some coolness and variety of the game, but are not needed to get started. Once you play a few times (and it is VERY easy to play), you will then realize the kinds of things you want to add to the game.

There are three base sets.

If you like superheroes, buy the Marvel set. The caveat is that there is a lot less terrain and fewer characters.

Otherwise, get Swarm of the Marro or Rise of the Valykrie.

I think the Valykrie set is a lot better, but it is older so sometimes harder to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
For starter sets, Valkyrie has more variety and more terrain, while Marro has a more cohesive theme (Zombie-ish guys vs "heroes").

I greatly prefer Valkyrie, but own a couple Marro sets as well. I'm a terrain whore, what can I say?

As for what you should get to start... well, one of the starter sets is a gimme. I'm going to go against the grain, however, and suggest you not buy anything else Heroscape until you know you like the game. What you should get, though, is a nice large sheet of felt (or other fabric) to put under the tiles to prevent them from slipping around and also create a nice play surface.

You won't regret it. Great for other games, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ziegler
United States
Huntingdon Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have watched my sons play this game for years. They seem to have every extra that the game company ever published regarding the title. It takes a long time to set up. There are a lot of pieces to the point that it requires stacks and stacks of boxes or plastic containers to hold them.
To my old eyes, it reminds me of all the junk you had to collect to play a game of D&D. Stacks of books with rules and monster manuals. This is a "piece tedious" game. Use caution in making any decision to purchase. You will have to invest quite a bit in multiple scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also, try http://heroscapers.com.
It's devoted solely to heroscape and they go through all the characters and various strategies to build armies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Romano
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say definitely start with the Rise of the Valkyrie master set. It gives you the most stuff for your money and everything you need to get the feel of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a really great game. RotV is indeed the way to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nielsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the replies. You realy helped me in the right direction.
I think i will go for the Rise of valkyrie base set.

Just another quick question.

How much space does the game takes? it looks realy huge, im kinda worried that a dont have enough space at home.

So do i need to go out an invest in a new and bigger table or what ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A map using the Rise of the Valkyrie set will usually take up about 1m by 60cm, tops. Leaving you with space for cards, dice, spare stuff around the edges. It's possible to make huge maps with lots of sets, but even 2 or 3 sets together won't fill the average dining table (with extra terrain, you usually want to build UP rather than across). I've done some pretty huge maps on an table that was smaller than 3m by 2m, using ten sets, but that was more about showing off than providing a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trelane wrote:
I have watched my sons play this game for years. They seem to have every extra that the game company ever published regarding the title. It takes a long time to set up. There are a lot of pieces to the point that it requires stacks and stacks of boxes or plastic containers to hold them.
To my old eyes, it reminds me of all the junk you had to collect to play a game of D&D. Stacks of books with rules and monster manuals. This is a "piece tedious" game. Use caution in making any decision to purchase. You will have to invest quite a bit in multiple scenarios.

For those who want to amass every bit of HeroScape plastic ever released, it is indeed possible to end up with bins of stuff and a second mortgage. It can be daunting...

...except that you don't actually NEED any of the extra stuff to play HeroScape. The base sets offer enjoyable gameplay all by themselves, and after you get tired of the scenarios that come with the game, you can download free ones off the Internets or make your own. Some of the expansions can be great fun (like the bridge and the fortress), but it's only a massive undertaking if you choose to make it so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to add information about the game that he is getting into.

Heroscape is hex-based tactical wargame. What this mean is that each turn, you will be moving and attacking with several units that you control. Most of the time, losing a unit, means it is lost for that round, sort of like chess. Each unit has a special ability that can do all sorts of things such as mind control, heal or even clone.

So to make it simple: you move around and roll dice to fight them. I believe whoever loses all their units loses.

My experience has been an up and down one. I got 3 sets of Valkyrie for $4 each as well as some expansions for $3. It's an interesting game, but yes, setup time can be a huge hassle and playing the game does take a while.

It's a fairly "hardcore" game which means you'll have to devote some time teaching potential opponents if you want to play against them. It's not a difficult game, but there are many little notes to remember.

I haven't been able to play this more than a few times as the game is some trouble to set up and you have to keep track of several unit abilities. If you can find a right group of players for the game, go for it.

You can also buy Memoir '44 and see how hex-battling goes in that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revelade wrote:

It's a fairly "hardcore" game which means you'll have to devote some time teaching potential opponents if you want to play against them.

Indeed. Sometimes it's taken me almost ten minutes to explain the game to new players. Though I usually skip the "falling" rules - and the maximum height of a single step up - until those situations arise. If there are any other "fiddly" rules, I've not come across them yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a table and left the game set up and just rearranged certain tiles when playing again. I tried to play multiple scenarios on the same map, because it does take a little while to set it up.
I don't really think it's that difficult a game to learn, though since every unit has different special skills or features it can take a while to learn the best combination of characters.
I definitely think the RotV set is the way to get started, you get a large variety of characters and a lot of land to start with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HauRuck wrote:
Everything you need to start playing is in Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie. You can also get Heroscape Master Set: Swarm of the Marro. In the states I recommend www.coolstuffinc.com which has them for only $21.99 each. I believe they do ship internationally as well.

There are only 4 of these in stock as of now. These are going pretty fast. Pick it up while you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nielsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Revelade wrote:

You can also buy Memoir '44 and see how hex-battling goes in that game.

It sounds like there arent realy any depts/variety in the game, is this true?

Memoir 44 looks like a good game, buts its a 2 player game only. I want a boardgame i can enjoy with 3+ players.

lately i been looking for a stragedy based boardgame, since my collection is dominated by adventure/rpg games. Maybe heroscape aint the one either? Anyone who have some suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to jump in and disagree about the game being a hardcore game to learn. I am only a casual gamer so ease of play is of utmost importance. I simply don't have time (or the repetitions) to learn a massive set of rules.

HS is VERY easy to learn and remember. After reading the basic directions, all I could say was, "That is it?" The basic game mechanism is very easy and common-sensical.

Are there a few rules (ie. falling mentioned above) that you may need to double check from time to time? Sure, but they are pretty minimal compared to many miniature type games.

My 7 year old learned the basic game in about 5 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some really strange comments here...

Trelane wrote:
To my old eyes, it reminds me of all the junk you had to collect to play a game of D&D. Stacks of books with rules and monster manuals.

"Stacks of books"? Are you sure you're watching Scape? There's just a tiny rulebook for the master set and an even smaller one for each terrain set, and much of that is just scenario setups. And the rules are really dead simple - in the majority of games, we never need to refer to them even once. Now, there are a bunch of army cards describing the capabilities of each unit, though you'll only use the ones that go with the particular troops you've picked. But "stacks of books" is definitely not what I associate with Heroscape.

Revelade wrote:
It's a fairly "hardcore" game which means you'll have to devote some time teaching potential opponents if you want to play against them. It's not a difficult game, but there are many little notes to remember.

Huh? I can teach HS to a novice casual gamer in 5 minutes or less. And what "little notes" are there to remember? About the pickiest rule I can think of is the limitation on climbing/falling height, but it rarely comes up in play. Now, picking a good army can take some time and knowledge, especially if you have a large number of units available. But if you're teaching someone, you skip that part - just pick two decent armies yourself ahead of time and let the new player pick the one they like better. Once someone's actually sitting down playing, pretty much all the information they need is right there on the army cards in front of them. And if you're really concerned about complexity (e.g. you're playing with little kids), you can just play with the Basic Rules as a step up. The game was originally marketed to what? 8 and up? 10 and up?

MadTrix wrote:
How much space does the game takes?

You'll see lots of enormous maps online, but the ones you can make with a single Master Set really aren't that big. You could probably squeeze a one-MS map plus army cards onto a typical small, 4-person square table. And a standard 6-person rectangular dining room table would be plenty large for any two-player map out there and probably most of the multi-player ones.

Quote:
It sounds like there arent realy any depts/variety in the game, is this true?

Memoir 44 looks like a good game, buts its a 2 player game only. I want a boardgame i can enjoy with 3+ players.

There's certainly more depth to HS than Memoir.

In any event, picking up RotV is definitely the place to start. If you like the feel of it, it's easy enough to recommend another 4-5 sets that give you a whole lot of play value without necessarily buying everything out there. While a lot people (myself included) enjoy trying to collect all the Scape we can find, you can easily stick to $100 or so and have enough for many, many hours of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.