Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this great idea while driving to work. There were several close calls when one driver unexpectedly changed lanes, almost hitting the car already in that lane.

My idea would involve having lights on the car that could be controlled by a simple lever on the steering column. A driver planning on changing lanes could trigger the lever, so others would know what they are planning to do.
The lights, wiring & lever wouldn't cost very much.

Do you think it'd be too much for someone to have to move the pinky on their left hand an inch to use this device and signal their intention, or is it better to simply hope no other car is there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Melander

Dilworth
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the worst (which i've seen happen many times) is when they don't use the indicator when pulling in front of someone, and then a moment later, they flip it on to change into the next lane (which is vacant)

i think in their lazy procrastination-inspired world where they always have to rush at the last second, they figure that the person behind them only wants to know when they're changing OUT of their lane, so that the driver behind knows they can floor it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't use one. It's like showing your hand in poker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah... It would probably just get stuck in a flashing left position by the 4'2" old lady in the Grand Marquis doing 35 MPH in the left lane of the freeway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's best just to keep the mystique of being a dick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've always wondered why turn signals aren't automatic based on turning the wheel. I mean, after all, they turn off after turning - why not turn on as you turn? You wouldn't have to turn it much to activate. And if someone were weaving around (like they are drunk or asleep), the signals would show both directions which is the same as hazards and that's appropriate, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Audacon wrote:
I've always wondered why turn signals aren't automatic based on turning the wheel. I mean, after all, they turn off after turning - why not turn on as you turn? You wouldn't have to turn it much to activate. And if someone were weaving around (like they are drunk or asleep), the signals would show both directions which is the same as hazards and that's appropriate, right?

That would work fine is all roads were straight. It would sort of be irritating to have the turn signal come on each time you take a turn in the road. Not to mention that if it only came on when you turned, it defeats the purpose warning people ahead of time you are turning.

It would be like giving all cars lights and sirens, eventually everyone would ignore them, just like car alarms.

However, if we were to equip each and every car with a rocket launcher, and ONE rocket, that anyone who buys a car can use ONCE with immunity, I guarantee you that you would see much better behaviour on the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I got one of these strapped on my car, nobody, and I mean nobody, dares defy the rules of traffic in my presence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbespm wrote:

However, if we were to equip each and every car with a rocket launcher, and ONE rocket, that anyone who buys a car can use ONCE with immunity, I guarantee you that you would see much better behaviour on the road.

I'd average a new car every week, just to get another rocket... can I do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
Hobbespm wrote:

I'd average a new car every week, just to get another rocket... can I do that? :)

Yes, but new cars now cost $2.3 million on average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Based on the state of the world's auto industry, I have to ask...

What's a new car?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Anderson
United States
Gloucester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The world simply isn't ready for your futuristic ideas, mr. space-man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Melander

Dilworth
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Audacon wrote:
I've always wondered why turn signals aren't automatic based on turning the wheel.

because the point of it is to give people an advance notice that you are going to turn/change lanes. if you're already halfway around the corner/in the other lane by the time the automatic light comes on, i would think your intent is fairly obvious, and it's not going to win you any brownie points with the people you're cutting off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option would be for people to actually check their blind spot before changing lanes. Usually a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.