Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy McKinney
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started playing Chicago Express. Fantastic experience so far. However, the one thing I am having an issue wrapping my head around is why one would consistently increase the value of an industrial city. I can think of a couple situations where it would be worthwhile (You have multiple train companies that will benefit you going through the city, for instance).

However, it usually seems like it would be as beneficial or even more beneficial to develop a mountain, and sometimes even a regular city. Is this the way that it is intended to be? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It also increases income without removing markers from the game. Not a huge deal, but it can help you drag the game on another turn whilst still increasing income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Saberj wrote:
Just started playing Chicago Express. Fantastic experience so far. However, the one thing I am having an issue wrapping my head around is why one would consistently increase the value of an industrial city. I can think of a couple situations where it would be worthwhile (You have multiple train companies that will benefit you going through the city, for instance).

Situations where you own shares in several companies which are connected to Pittsburgh, for example, are quite common. It's a great use of a turn to boost the value of three of your shares. That said, develop is still most often only used to affect when the round will end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
develop is still most often only used to affect when the round will end.

That's what I've found. Develop is often the least important action, but still useful nonetheless.

It can be used to influence when the round will end and becomes increasingly popular if your investments have capped (reached Chicago) but you're still trying to extend the game length; be it because you can't end it yet or still need more cash.

Also, remember that you can only develop Pittsburgh and Wheeling (not Detroit) and Pittsburgh goes up 2 income/development which can be a good idea esp. if there is more than one railroad in Pittsburgh that you own shares in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.