BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Well, it finally happened. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cast Ll'tor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went shopping to Toys'R'Us today to pick up a few toys for my kids.

Of course, I walked through the board game section 'just to see' if they a) had anything new (and by new, I mean something they don't normally carry), and b) had any of the games they currently carry that interest me on sale.

I saw three young adults (late teens/early twenties) with a board game in their hand stating that 'it looks like fun'.

The game was The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Game.

I had to say something.

"Excuse me, but I really don't know if that game will be best for you. What kind of games do you normally play?"

The standard answer - Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit and some other typical responses.

"If I may make a suggestion, have you considered some games like these?" and I proceeded to pull Apples to Apples, Carcassonne and Blokus off the shelf and proceed to explain how simple they were to learn and with great replayability.

They looked somewhat interested, and I didn't want to scare them with my geekiness, so I didn't get into the whole Eurogame scene, so I quit talking and started looking for myself.

Then one of the guys asked me what I was looking for. I told him that I usually browse the games section to look for new games (as previously stated) and good deals. Plus, I do have two kids under four, so I also look for them. We chatted a bit more and right in front of us was The Settlers of Catan.

I pulled it off the shelf and said "you REALLY can't go wrong with this - it's a very easy game to learn and has great replayability". I even flipped over the box to show him how it was played.

That's when it happened.

"Oh, it's like Risk."

shake

"No, not really", I reply, so I try to very briefly explain what the game was about so he wouldn't get all glassy-eyed and start backing away slowly.

He put the game back and looked with his friends for a few more minutes.

At least they ended up putting back the original game and picking up Cranium instead.

Maybe next time they will look at the suggestions and pick up one of them to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great effort, but if they like Cranium there's really no hope for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
Funny...this guy who knew, like, a ton about board games tried to persuade me to buy some game about Settlers in Catland today...

I was kinda weirded out, so I bought Cranium, which is like, the totally most hard trivia game ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is such a weird coincidence.
I was trying to buy a fun board game at Toys R us too!

Some old guy started talking to me about some weird stuff.

It made me feel a little nervous. Fortunately, I was able to convince him that I was listening to him, and was able to ditch his weird game and buy something good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week I tried to explain Power Grid to a friend of my wife's. She said, "Oh, that sounds a lot like Monopoly." That was the first time I'd actually gotten that answer. I just said, "Yeah, a little," and stopped talking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oeolycus wrote:
Funny...this guy who knew, like, a ton about board games tried to persuade me to buy some game about Settlers in Catland today...

I was kinda weirded out, so I bought Cranium, which is like, the totally most hard trivia game ever!

We're sorry to inform you that you've been banned from BoardgameGeek.com. Pack up your sh*t and get out. You have 30 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
Tygo wrote:
We're sorry to inform you that you've been banned from BoardgameGeek.com. Pack up your sh*t and get out. You have 30 days.

That's a shame, I was just beginning to like it here...

All joking aside, we must each have a story like this. I was trying to tell my former college roommate (a Classics major no less!) about Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage and he compared it to Risk. I got him back by asking how his pyramid scheme thing was going ("it's a legitimate individual business," he groaned).

The funny thing is: as I think about the times I have played Cranium, Catchphrase, and the like, I only remember heated arguments and rules-lawyering like I've never seen at this end of the hobby. This is with people who wouldn't even know how to begin making fun of me for owning a piece of plexiglass for "board-flattening purposes." I don't know what to make of it. Strange they take the game more seriously and care so greatly about winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Skywalker wrote:
"Oh, it's like Risk."

shake

"No, not really", I reply

Yes, YES, it IS LIKE RISK!!!

For the love of Pete, tell 'em it's like Risk...only BETTER!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Young
United Kingdom
Feltham
Middlesex
flag msg tools
Crumpets Buttered and Tea, what more could you ask for in life
badge
Crumpets Buttered and Tea, what more could you ask for in life
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don’t you all just do the "YES" trick.... "Oh! thats like Monopoly"... "Yes" let’s give it a go.... your strategy is to put them at ease and then slowly but surely bring them into the game. It’s always good at the end when they say "that’s nothing like Monopoly... but let’s play again"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Herbst
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who majored in Classics, I implore you not to burst your poor friend's bubble about his pyramid scheme. It might be his best chance of making money in the long term.

Actually, I'm joking -- there are a number of high school and middle school Latin positions available even in this economy. University positions are a bit harder to come by and Greek is always tough.

oeolycus wrote:
Tygo wrote:

That's a shame, I was just beginning to like it here...

All joking aside, we must each have a story like this. I was trying to tell my former college roommate (a Classics major no less!) about Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage and he compared it to Risk. I got him back by asking how his pyramid scheme thing was going ("it's a legitimate individual business," he groaned).

The funny thing is: as I think about the times I have played Cranium, Catchphrase, and the like, I only remember heated arguments and rules-lawyering like I've never seen at this end of the hobby. This is with people who wouldn't even know how to begin making fun of me for owning a piece of plexiglass for "board-flattening purposes." I don't know what to make of it. Strange they take the game more seriously and care so greatly about winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Shelton
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this kind of thing happen too but it ended better than your case did. I was in Target and saw a lady with her two young boys. She had some game in her hand and was asking them if they thought they would like it. I don't remember which game it was, but I knew it wasn't the best pick. I asked her if she would like a recommendation and she said yes. I pulled Sorry Sliders off the shelf and told her I had a lot of fun playing this with my kids and even other adults. Anticipating a negative response (heck all you do is slide these pawns down a small board) I pre-emtped it with, "I know it looks stupid because all you are doing is sliding these pawns down a track but trust me, it's a LOT of fun and your boys will want to play it again and again with you." That sold her and in the cart it went. As she walked away I swear I heard the two boys complaining, "That looks dumb, I don't want that game!" She refuted them both and said THAT was the game they were getting. I sure hope those boys liked it, but I have confidence in Sorry Sliders. It really is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
A valiant effort. Maybe you planted a seed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember when I invited some friends over for games before I really new about games. One of the dudes broke out Settlers of Catan. Unfortunately he did a horrible job of explaining it and the rest of us voted against and we ended up packing it up and playing Risk instead. Now SoC is one of my all-time favorite games. It's tough to get others to try new stuff but once you do... My other friend quit Facebook because she doesn't like the new design. People are generally averse to change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hedric3248 wrote:
Why don’t you all just do the "YES" trick.... "Oh! thats like Monopoly"... "Yes" let’s give it a go.... your strategy is to put them at ease and then slowly but surely bring them into the game. It’s always good at the end when they say "that’s nothing like Monopoly... but let’s play again"

Exactly. It's more like Monopoly than it is like a pineapple, Claudia Schiffer, a housebrick, or a pine tree. Good, now it's also more recent than Monopoly and fixes a bunch of stuff that wasn't so great about that game.

Yep, it's a board game like Monopoly/Risk, but recent board games like X tend to be a lot shorter and nobody has to sit out for half the game. I think they're more fun that way.

Tada!

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Why, yes, it's like Risk for non-Risk players. In fact, the other name for Risk is Settlers of Catan for Dummies."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was at lunch last Friday, and a pair of undergrads were at the table next to me. They were talking about how ready they were to drink the weekend away, then called some friends to find out when the cornhole game was starting "regional name for drunks throwing bean bags in a hole in a board", then they started discussing Settlers strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Great effort, but if they like Cranium there's really no hope for them.

Hey! I like Cranium...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.