5 Posts

War of the Ring: Battles of the Third Age» Forums » Rules

Subject: ROHAN: Ent Attack - which Ents can be used? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm having a hard time parsing the rule for Ent Attacks.

Can I attack with any Ent in the "chain" or only with Ents that remained in the initial Entwood subsequent to forming the chain?

I think that maybe a literal reading does not require me to MAINTAIN the chain while attacking; so I could use the ones in the chain first, and the one which remained in the initial Entwood last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules specifically state on page 23, in bold, that you must remove the Ent from the Entwood. You can't remove one from the chain, as it must be uninterrupted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules about the entwood are garbled, to me. The "original" entwood, vs the "new" reformed entwood... confusing.

So the Ents can use an Action Die to move, and collect all the ents in any single region, which becomes the current entwood....

Then they can use a second Action Die to attack an adjacent region, and so have all the ents available for use ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ents always begin and end each activation all together in one Region. This group is called the Entwood. Throughout an activation, the Entwood is considered to be in the Region that the Ents started in. This may only change at the end of the very last step, when the Entwood reforms, possibly in a different Region.

When you activate the Ents, you:

1. Move the Ents: Take an Ent (not Treebeard) from the Entwood and place it in an adjacent Region. You may then repeat this action, placing each Ent in a Region adjacent to a Region already containing an Ent, until you run out of Ents in the Entwood (not including Treebeard) or you don't want to move anymore. You can't move an Ent into a Region containing a Shadow Army, and Ent movement follows the same rules as other movement (can't cross rivers, etc. - except that they can move between Fangorn and Derndingle). When you're done moving, if no Ents remain in the Entwood (except Treebeard), go to step 4.

2. Attack with the Ents: Remove one Ent (not Treebeard) from the Entwood to attack a Shadow Army in a Region adjacent to any Region containing an Ent.

3. If Ents remain in the Entwood (not including Treebeard), you may go back to either step 1 or step 2, or continue to step 4. If no Ents (except Treebeard) remain in the Entwood, continue to step 4.

4. Reform the Entwood: If there are no more Ents remaining (except Treebeard), move Treebeard to Derndingle to begin building a new Entwood. If at least one Ent remains (excluding Treebeard), move Treebeard and all of the Ents on the board either to the Region that contained the Entwood at the beginning of the activation or to any Region that currently contains an Ent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There seems to be a shorter way of saying all that...

If you are moving you can empty the original entwood completely.

When you attack, only the ents which still remain in the original entwood may be used up in the attack. Ents forming a chain may not be used to attack with.

There seems to be a shorter way of saying all that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.