Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last video games I played that I really enjoyed were a few of the Splinter Cell games and Resident Evil 4.

Back in the day I was a huge fan of RPGs including Final Fantasy and Zelda. I think The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) is one of the best games ever. I also really liked Final Fantasy Tactics.

I'm not into most first-person shooters. I'm not really interested in MORPGs or whatever you call the online games.

Here is a list of the qualities I really appreciate in a video game:

-Characters that level up and learn skills, acquire new weapons and items, etc.

-A deep and lengthy storyline (70+ hours to finish game).

-Difficulty. It seems like recently games are geared more towards kids and the level of difficulty and complexity has suffered. I want some really meaty game play where I will be seriously challenged.

I currently own a Nintendo DS but I would like to get a new console system. Please let me know which system you suggest for the type of games I prefer. I'll tip good posts on this subject as well.

Please provide me with suggestions that fit my criteria. I will give GeekGold tips to anyone who suggests a game that I decide to buy.

I am somewhat interested in DS recommendations but even more for console systems and less so for PC games. All are welcome though.

EDIT: This first round of small tips I'm giving out is just for lengthy thoughtful posts, not the actual prize for my games selected for purchase. I will need to do the research on all of these over the next few days before I give those out. Close to 4 GG tipped so far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Fallout 3 on Very Hard is pretty nasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Le
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always the FF Tactics games on the DS. The Age of Empires line isn't bad, if not a bit light on th RPG angle. Great for minor fixes, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy McKean
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, a version of Disgaea was recently released for the Nintendo DS. Play is somewhat similar to FFTactics.
(And looking at the features on it compared to the PS2 version makes me want to buy a Nintendo DS just for that game! Sheesh)

If you find that you're into that sort of game, I recommend picking up a cheap Playstation 2, as Nippon Ichi released several other games for it:
-Phantom Brave
-Disgaea 2
-La Pucelle Tactics
-Makai Kingdom
-Soul Nomad & the World Eaters (actually plays like a turn-based Ogre Battle [SNES] if you played that)

Also on the PS2, Dragon Quest VIII was quite good, and keeps some of that "Nintendo Hard" that the original Dragon Warrior had. Its more of a 40-50 hour game than 70+ though.

Sadly, I don't think there's a whole lot currently appealing to RPG and Strategy RPG gamers on the current-gen consoles... I know the only games on the PS3 that come close are Disgaea 3 and Fallout 3.

Of course, sticking with the DS, they're always releasing more Final Fantasy games for it... they've done a full remake of FF3(J) and FF4, and you have access to the FF5 port on GBA which had some new classes over the SNES version/PSX port. You might also be interested in some of the Fire Emblem games or Advance Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Trogdor video game!
http://www.homestarrunner.com/trogdor.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc VC
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventhough I'm quite fond of Japanese entertainment, few J-RPGs can entice me enough. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is one of those few.

For the DS, you could do a lot worse than "Dragon Quest V".
Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard is also very good and pretty
long. I think the DS is a pretty good platform for RPG's.
Advance Wars, Drone Tactics and the Front Mission remake are also good
"tacticals". (On the PSP I really liked "Jeanne D'arc.")

But my fave RPG's are on PC, although they have aged quite a bit ;p.

* Planescape Torment:
Brilliant story, interesting NPCs, not that hard though.

* Fallout 2:
Long, interesting and full of choices.
(yes Fallout 3 is out, but feels a couple of RADs away from the
nuclear glow that was to be found in the first 2 games. F3 is also
about as hard as breathing.)

* Baldur's gate 2
Long, hard and oh so satisfying.

* Vampire Bloodlines
One of the most buggy games I've seen, but with the most recent
patch very playable. The dialogue options of the Malkavian are
erhm... interesting

Good luck on your quest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
RPG are my prefered form of video game too.

Some that I would suggest are:

Morrowind: Game of the year edition, http://au.xbox.ign.com/articles/610/610517p2.html
Leveling: Yes
Skills: Yes and a sysytem that increases your skill when you use it.
Weapons and items: Thousands!.
Deep and Lengthy; Many side quests alternate stories etc.
Difficulty, can be what you make it as there is a slider to adjust this

Jade Empire
Leveling: Yes
Skills: Not in the normal sense but you get points top spend on different martial arts styles
Weapons and items: ?? Kind of
Difficulty: A bit on the easy side once you get into the game
Length: Quite short but a great storyline and very immersive world

Knights of the Old Republic
Similar to Jade Empire (same company, but earlier, Jade empire is built on this engine)
Turn based fighting
Lots of skills, including Jedi stuff
Longer than Jade Empire but still on the short side

http://au.xbox.ign.com/articles/610/610517p3.html

This three are all older games for the Xbox. I think they're back compatible with the 360 but you'd have to check that out.
Also these games can be pick up quite cheaply now in 2nd hand bins.
I think I spent a max of NZD$70 on all three.

Happy hunting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you said you are less interested in PC games, but still. Someone has to suggest nethack.

You want a challenge? You want hundreds (thousands) of hours of gameplay? You want an, ahem, *interesting* sense of humor?

Click it: www.nethack.org

Wait, you said you want graphics? OK, never mind. don't click it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the DS, get Chrono Trigger, which was just released. My favorite game of all time. Incredible story, riveting characters, great combat and leveling system.

For the PS2, if you can find it, get Suikoden 2. The first one is also good, but 2 perfects the system and has a truly great storyline and haunting music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
I play games
badge
Seven
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for NDS system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a PC game, but you might enjoy it.

Kings-Bounty.com wrote:
King's Bounty: The Legend is a fantasy saga, an exciting blend of role-playing adventure and tactical combat, stirring classic memories of the legendary "King's Bounty" game.

A hero (warrior, mage or paladin), and an army of his loyal companions in arms travel across a huge continent composed of dozens of linked locations. Setting kings upon the throne, overthrowing them, saving princesses from the claws of dragons, searching for pirates on the high seas, finding treasure chests, vanquishing villains who are attempting world domination… These are the everyday challenges the player – the Hero - will face in King’s Bounty: The Legend.

Your character travels in real-time across land and water, underground, and across the skies searching for treasure, finding equipment, developing multiple skills and fulfilling the orders of kings to further his career. When fighting enemies, the game switches into Tactics mode. You can control your troops in the battle arena, use your spell book and summon powerful Spirits of Rage.

As the plot unveils, the player will come across exciting puzzles and mysteries, and make many difficult decisions. Will you make alliances with a powerful necromancer or steal from the Dwarven treasury? Just never break the oath you gave to your King. He does not forget or forgive such sleights easily.

Here's a great place to find more, and perhaps better fitting titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Bray
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you have a Playstation 3, I would strongly recommend Valkyria Chronicles. It blends some of my favorite combat styles together, representing a sort of freeform Final Fantasy Tactics. I think if you liked Splinter Cell and FFT you will really enjoy this game, as the combat blends these two things together, with a real-time 3rd person over the shoulder view during your character's "active" turn. During your turn you can move a certain distance, logged by an action bar, then shoot once. The battles are well designed and very tactical, often requiring good planning on your part.

The game is challenging. I've had to replay missions 3-4 times because I let someone die. It's not super frustrating because I know I made the mistake, but occasionally someone will get a lucky headshot off and...

I'm not sure how long the game is yet, but I've been playing it for quite some time and I still haven't finished it. It is very similar to Tactics in that certain characters are specialized for certain roles. The art direction is fantastic and really lends a unique style to the game; it's sort of a half cel-shaded 3d anime look that works brilliantly. The story is well done as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin S
Poland
Warszawa
EU
flag msg tools
M s b S
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a great RPG for PS2 called Dark Chronicle (I think the US title is Dark Cloud 2). Not typical, by all means, but brilliant nevertheless.

Oh, and give the DS Pokemon games a try. Even though the franchise is definitely kid-oriented, the handheld Pokemon games are solid RPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RanDomino Nickelmaster
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marqos wrote:
Wait, you said you want graphics? OK, never mind. don't click it.

Not so fast! My favorite roguelike is Elona: http://homepage3.nifty.com/rfish/index_e.html
Same concept, and it's not "complete" yet, and it's only sprites, and the sprites are mostly stolen from other games, but it has graphics and sound and items and leveling and infinite random dungeons and quests and towns and very good tactical combat and you can kill anything, sometimes in horribly awesome ways. Your pet Little Girl could drink from a fountain which had an alien egg, then when the alien bursts out you could capture it in a 'monster ball' and add it to your party, then sell it into slavery. Pickpocket your way into the Thieves' Guild. Go on 10,000-gold delivery quests. Kill bandits, then cook their corpses into sandwiches to eat later. Wacky in a way only a Nethack-derived game can be.

Another good one is "Helherron" http://www2.lut.fi/~akuukka/helherron/main.htm
It's a bit repetitive, but it has all the usual RPG stuff, and you control a party of 8 characters. Awesome tactical combat. 8-bit graphics.

I prefer PC games since there's plenty of high-quality games available for free download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bit of a soft spot for Age of Fable.

Characters not only learn new skills, but can lose them again, too. There's a whole lot of story, and with certain characters, it's quite difficult. Plus, it's free.

Besides, it's always nice to support independent game designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverwinter Nights is also an option. I prefer the first one (second one actually sucks, don't buy it). There are thousands of modules available so your playing time will be well over 700+ hours . And it's cheap to find.

Other than that, you can't go wrong with Baldur's Gate 2. The best RPG ever.

If you want more hack and slash type RPG then you should check Dungeon Siege.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:

Seconded, especially with the 'Throne of Bhaal' (sp?) expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Windmeijer
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
flag msg tools
mb
I played Oblivion and The Witcher on the PC. Great Games. There is a version of Oblivion for the PS3. You might like Metal Gear Solid 4 for the PS3. Take a look at this site http://www.gamebanshee.com/.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to second the Disgaea recommendation. I am currently playing it on the PSP. As I understand it, Disgaea 2 will also be ported to the PSP. And of course Disgaea 3 is out for the PS3.

I'll also Second Valkyria Chronicles for the PS3. Quite a challange, and an interesting story so far. I've just sort of started it though.

In my area, ebgames is doing a trade-in thing. So a lot of older games are showing up in the used shelves. I've recently been on a bit of a RPG binge on the PSP:

Disgea (EXCELLENT and there is quite a bit of humor, out on DS, but i don't think it has the voice acting that the PSP does, which, for a change, is quite good),

FF Tactics (Great so far, just started it),

Valhalla Knights(Typical Story, but fun, lotsa grindin),

Phantasy Star Online (Really great, but it has a short story and is better as a multiplayer slugfest),

Star Ocean (FD and SE) interesting story, I really enjoyed FD and will really enjoy SE this style is my kind of game),

Neverland Card Battles(ok, card based battling),

Valkrie Profile (very different and interesting, just started),

Yggdra Union (also card based, this one is supposed to be really hard. It is out on the DS and that port is the hardest one ever! I was playing this but it seems Disgaea took over).

Although not a RPG, if you go for a PSP anytime check out Patapon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
badge
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Kwakkie wrote:

Seconded, especially with the 'Throne of Bhaal' (sp?) expansion.

Yeah, great epic game. It really is the best RPG so far. Even better with some fan-made improvements.

On the PC i'd also suggest The Witcher: http://www.thewitcher.com/intro.asp It really stands out as an RPG, it's dark, atmospheric, with an interesting story and an unique main character. Not the usual 'let's go find a dragon' RPG. And its quite up to date in technical terms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Elder Scrolls : Oblivion" for xbox360 or PS3. I love this game and it sounds like it's exactly what your looking for. Check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would strongly recommend that you give Knights of the Old Republic ("KOTOR") a try, a Star Wars-themed RPG from the same folks who wrote Baldur's Gate. It's available for the Xbox console and the PC, and the price is right. There was also a sequel which was technically good but slightly lackluster in presentation.

However, I believe KOTOR has all of the elements you are looking for in a video game RPG. And if you're a Star Wars fan, it's icing on the cake.

If you find you like KOTOR, the same people also wrote Mass Effect, available now at a good price for the Xbox 360.

(Edit)
Quote:

I currently own a Nintendo DS but I would like to get a new console system. Please let me know which system you suggest for the type of games I prefer. I'll tip good posts on this subject as well.

I own a PS3, Xbox 360, and a Wii, so I am no fanboy of any console. All three have their merits and advantages. However, being personally disappointed with the PS3 and somewhat bored by the Wii, I'd recommend an Xbox 360 at this point.(Plus KOTOR is one of the original Xbox games the 360 will run.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Fable is an excellent RPG, and has been ported to PC. If your cool with getting an XBox 360, Fable 2 I hear is rediculously awesome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fable_(video_game)

Disgea is also a great series, if getting a PS2 is in your budget, I'd say go for these.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makai_Senki_Disgaea_Portable

Someone else mentioned Star Ocean, WOW, one of my favorite RPGs from back in the day. Had a really nifty combat system, and was very engaging throughout. Storyline also had a really nifty twist at the end.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ocean:_Till_the_End_of_Time
I suggest not reading the story part of the wiki if you don't want the plot spoiled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Baldur's Gate II meets all your criteria and then some! Despite that fact that it's been around a while, it still has a dedicated following, and an active modding community.

Be careful, you won't want to get up from the computer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james browning
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not an rpg but they have Anno 1701 for DS now. The board game Anno 1503 is very fun and the hand held game is just as much fun when using multiplayer. The endless play mode is also a great feature of the game that lets you explore and develop islands with no restrictions. I've been playing it obsessively for over a week now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.