Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Poulter
Scotland
Tranent
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother is getting hitched in June. He used to be a boardgamer/RPGer but now is enslaved by WoW :-( He wants me (the best man) to run a activity at the reception and so he suggested I run a game.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an appropriate game? It would need to be playable by competing groups of attendees at their tables with a playing time maximum of 30 minutes. It is not going to be a large wedding (30 people, 3-6 tables maybe). It might be nice to involve the happy couple in some way...

Alan Poulter, aka BestMan
grognard@grognard.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Divorce?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't recommend trying to organize games at wedding receptions, there is something you might try.

Have you ever played Mad Libs? Decades ago, Mad Libs were very popular party games, and many books each containing dozens of individual Mad Libs were readily available in bookstores and newsstands.

If you can't find existing collections of Mad Libs, make one up.

Here's how you do it:

1. Write narrative tale of the bride and groom on their honeymoon, or about the honeymoon location and activities. For example, you could make it sound like the write up in a promotional brochure from the honeymoon location. Make it at least one typewritten page long.

2. Delete select nouns (particluarly some proper names), adjectives, adverbs, and perhaps some verbs from the text, leaving a blank space.

3. At the reception, put up a big piece of poster paper or a whtie board. If you use paper, write with a magic marker so all can see.

4. DON'T TELL THE GUESTS WHAT THE STORY IS! Just begin asking the guests for nouns, adjectives, adverbs, etc. in sequence as they'll fill your story. For example, "I need a noun." Or "Give me an adverb." Or "I need the name of an scary place." Or "Give me the name of a celebrity." Or "I need an action verb." Or "I need a number." Or "I need the name of a body part." Or "I need a type of transportation."

5. As the guests shout answers, pick the best one and write it on the paper or white board.

6. When you have all the blanks filled, tell the guests the title of the tale -- like "Bob and Mary's Honeymoon" or "A Brochure from the Honeymoon Hotel from Hell" -- and begin reading the tale, filling in the appropriate word from the list as you get to it. After using the word, cross it off the list on the board or paper.

Come up with any kind of scoring system you want.

It's always good for some great laughs.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Poulter
Scotland
Tranent
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
How about Divorce?

:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Poulter
Scotland
Tranent
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
While I don't recommend trying to organize games at wedding receptions, there is something you might try.

[snip]

What do you think?

I want something easy that, if it is going to work at at all, works out of the box. I totally agree with your first line above but you then go on to contradict it with a complex suggestion.

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kosec
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlanPoulter wrote:
My brother is getting hitched in June. He used to be a boardgamer/RPGer but now is enslaved by WoW :-( He wants me (the best man) to run a activity at the reception and so he suggested I run a game.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an appropriate game? It would need to be playable by competing groups of attendees at their tables with a playing time maximum of 30 minutes. It is not going to be a large wedding (30 people, 3-6 tables maybe). It might be nice to involve the happy couple in some way...

Alan Poulter, aka BestMan
grognard@grognard.com

Wits & Wagers works really well in large groups--you could have them play in teams by table. The game works exceptionally like this.

The game is played across seven rounds, with each round using only a single question. You could conceivably make up and use questions that only relate to the special couple's life together:

* How many days did my brother and new sister-in-law date before they were engaged?
* What is the average number of hours per week my brother plays WoW?

Even if you decide to use the questions that are included in the box, you could easily accommodate a group of 30 with the out-of-the-box components. You'd need to MC the game, read the questions, etc., but the game is easy to administrate if you've played it before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillotine easy to learn, fast pace, hilarity ensues.

Empire Builder train game, plays six, what more can I say.

Munchkin card game, easy, hilarity ensues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
How about some dexterity game(s) on a table and then those that are interested can participate without placing pressure on everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werewolf???

[Edit] Sorry, missed the part where you wanted tables to compete against each other. This wouldn't work with that condition (although, it does involve everyone and does involve competition).

Or, my personal favorite: "How Long Will it Last?" (but - warning - it gives the bride & groom an unfair advantage if they participate, as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toss Up! and/or Pass the Pigs - very unintimidating push-your-luck games that take only a moment to explain, and lend themselves to minimal quick-reference guides.

Jenga

LCR - your tokens could win you prizes

Yahtzee - easy to make as many score sheets as you need. You could make everyone special dice cups as party favors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Davis
United States
Greeneville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liars Dice

Easy to play.
You just need 5 dice per player and one set of rules.
You can have a winner from each table (6 tables is great). Then a championship round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
AlanPoulter wrote:
Eldard wrote:

[snip]

What do you think?

I want something easy that, if it is going to work at at all, works out of the box. I totally agree with your first line above but you then go on to contradict it with a complex suggestion.

If you think getting the guests to answer words for a Mad Lib (You: "Tell me a noun." Guest: "Potato!") is too complex, there is no hope of them playing any "real" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb

While I've never heard of playing games at a reception, I know that a game we have played with mixed groups (including some non-gamers) is Apples to Apples. If you've never played it, the following is the BGG description:

Apples to Apples consists only of two decks of cards: Things and Descriptions. Each turn, the current referee selects a Description and players try to pick, from the cards in their hands, the Things that best match that Description. The referee then chooses the Thing that appeals most and awards the card to the player who played it. The unusual combinations of Things and Descriptions are humorous to the extreme, and will quickly have the entire room in an uproar. Once a player has won a pre-determined number of cards, that player wins.

You can even buy blank cards to create your own Things and Descriptions. You could then stack the deck. Descriptions and Things could be made up of wedding related items. Example: "Sweet" - list something sweet and you could have made cards with the bride's name, wedding cake, aunt Bea, etc. Or another description could be something "Dense" - the same cards could apply. I'm not sure how tables would compete with each other, but by making some of the Things and Descriptions related to the wedding and guests at the wedding, you could make this a fun but personal experience.

Make sure you submit a follow-up with whatever you choose - I'd like to hear how it goes. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At my wedding, we had each table (every 1/2 hour) guess the answer to a Wits and Wagers question. The closest table each 1/2 hour won a prize. It worked REALLY well, most people had a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost nine hours and no Busen Memo reference? I'm really, really disappointed in everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
At my wedding, we had each table (every 1/2 hour) guess the answer to a Wits and Wagers question. The closest table each 1/2 hour won a prize. It worked REALLY well, most people had a lot of fun.

As a serious reply, I would go with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve mizuno
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Says

After a few rounds of champagne, it ought to be very interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coltsfan did a Wits and Wagers thing at his wedding: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/326753

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend giving Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition. In this version you can have up to 68 players and it has the potential of being a very fun group interaction game. There is no board and the cards are used to designate roles and certain behaviors that belong to that role. If you need more information I would recommend Tom Vasel's video review. Here's the link if you are interested:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/344839

The other recommendation if you need something simpler is Beer Pong, but only if your guest are of the right age. Wish you the best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Poulter
Scotland
Tranent
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for all the suggestions! Wits and Wagers looks to be the winner but I am also thinking about Balderdash.

Alan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:

Most people? How did the rest react?!

I might use this idea at my wedding. We are both gaming geeks and it would be good to bring something that reflects that to our celebration, but in a way that can be enjoyed by everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play games you also would play at a ... damn it, there is no English word for it... kind of traditional drinking tours with a lot of fat food at the end. Well... North German tradition.

So, those are the games, no board needed:

You need some tampons, wet them (with beer or water), and take the line between your teeth and try to throw it as far as possible. Look who gets the record.

Or take some bottles of beer, fill them with water (about a half) and now bind a tampon at your belt behind your back. Now try to navigate the tampon without the use of your hands into the bottle, let it suck some water and now carry the bottle over the finishing line.

Such are games I would like to play at a reception. But nothing involving rules that make sense. Only plain stupid drinking games everyone can make fun of.

There is nothing more annoying than some game that is supposed to be fun and there are a lot of people who don't care about the rules and one guy running around trying to explain everything and trying to make everyone follow those rules and so on. Blah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
You need some tampons, wet them (with beer or water), and take the line between your teeth and try to throw it as far as possible. Look who gets the record.

Or take some bottles of beer, fill them with water (about a half) and now bind a tampon at your belt behind your back. Now try to navigate the tampon without the use of your hands into the bottle, let it suck some water and now carry the bottle over the finishing line.

Such are games I would like to play at a reception. But nothing involving rules that make sense. Only plain stupid drinking games everyone can make fun of.

I am trying to imagine these wet tampon games being played at a wedding reception...

I am also trying to decide if they are really traditional North German games, or if you are pulling our legs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the game is traditional but the occasion under which they are played here.

Every year after the first frost you gather your friends and/or family and/or co-workers and get a handcart (?) full of alcohol (quickies) and walk towards a restaurant, about 10-20 km far away. At every crossing everyone has to drink a quickie (or two) and some beer in between. And every now and then people stop to play such games. In the restaurant everyone will eat a lot of Kohl and Pinkel (and again I have not the slightest idea what they are called in English, seems like there is no translation) and other fat meat, continue drinking and dancing and the one who ate most will be the Kohl King (who organizes the event the next year). It is called a Kohlfahrt. You can try to google it but I bet you won't find anything that is not in German. And it is only known in north (west) Germany too. But even my grand parents organize those and play those games. And even the defence company I work for organizes it every year.

It depends on what kind of persons you expect on a reception. The last weddings I was on it would have fit well. They tried to play chess with real people but it failed because it was boring (for most of them) and it ruined the mood a bit. So games which are even fun when failing are the best in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please don't take this as a negative suggestion, but weddings are more than busy enough. You'll have a hard enough time remembering putting the disposable cameras on the tables. You may want to keep it simple and leave the games at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.