Larry Tuxbury
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SHAZAM!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is paraphrased from an online variant that Dave Arnott referenced on Boardgames To Go. He suggested that if he'd known about it earlier, he might have played more 3-player games of SOC:

Settlers Turnier
3-Player Variant

During initial placement...

Place first SETTLEMENT and road as usual. (Player 1, Player 2, then Player 3)

Then place in reverse order, but this time with a CITY and a road. (Player 3, Player 2, then Player 1)

Finally, all players place a THIRD road. (Player 1, Player 2, then Player 3)

Initial starting cards are given out as in the NORMAL game and are NOT doubled, even though you placed a city to collect them; the greatest number of commodity cards one can receive is still three. However, during the rest of the game, you earn double production on your city, just like in the regular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I'd like to try this.

We always just made 3 player games go to 12 points, which did a nice job of clogging up the board by the end game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One application I use to play Settlers Of Catan online (Sea3d) vs other people also has this variant. In many circles, it's known as "tournament starting rules".

I don't mind this to add spice or speed up games, but purists and those in tournament settings (ironically enough given its name) will argue this destroys the game. The original initial settlement placement really IS the way to go.

Playing over a 100 games with TSR, I've noticed that it's possible to win the game without ever builing a city. You start with a city, 1 sett, build 4 more setts. LR, and then a conceivable VP dev card draw for 10 pts.

This variant is also nasty in where 2 opponents can put their 2 roads to the same or almost same (enough to break the distance rule when placing setts) as part of their setup, creating a 2-way sprint to build at that spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll point out that the "turnier version" also is playable with 4; at BSW, this is the version you're most apt to see (outside of actual tournaments, which don't use it.) shake

I suspect the reason it's so popular is the same reason Sticheln is usually played with the DM (I think) version, which I believe plays one less round than the number of players. I'm not keen on either variant, but they make for faster games, and BSW players tend to put a lot of emphasis on quick play/more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.