Popular Tags: [View All]
István Madarász
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme

Raising a culture from its cradle, guiding people to some promised land and overseeing their life are considered to be a form of art by many divine entities. But why should you bother? Building civilizations can be boring. Let's speed up the process. Treat them as disposable junk. They rise, bring you some fame and then inevitably fall. Who cares?

This is what you do in Small World. Races of fantasy creatures populate a tiny continent and fight for the land. When they are most potent, you conquer with their armies. As they weaken, you throw them away and pick another group. The goal is to rule a territory as big as you can with your current chosen ones every turn.

Components

Almost everything is made out of thick cardboard, so the whole game is biodegradable. But this shouldn't concern you, you double-dealing deity.

The artwork is beautiful. It's thematic with a little pinch humor in it. The components are full of life. They are just begging for your attention. They will certainly need it because you will loose interest in your folk very often.

image by cnidius

You get a nice big board with vivid colors and two sides depending on number of the players playing. For marking your people on the map, you have 10-20 square shaped markers for each race. A neat case is introduced to properly store these chips. The box also contains pieces to record special abilities and victory points. Prepare to be pampered by top quality.

Gameplay

image by Bayushi Sezaru

The basic idea is that you have 14 races and 20 special powers. They are combined randomly, so the variety characteristics are quite high. You will get flying sorcerers, alchemist elfs and so on. These combinations also determine the size of the army by adding the numbers shown.

image by red_gobbo

So you have your people represented by some chips. Let's send them to war. Fighting is simple. To conquer, you have to outnumber the target territory's defense. The base defense is 1 (for mountains it's 2) and +1 for every enemy unit. One enemy unit dies and the others are retreated to the owner's hand (can be redistributed later). You may regroup after the battles.

There are no reinforcements. As you spread across the land, your defense will weaken and you will certainly have some casualties. By time, you should chose another race. You do this by sending your current people to decline. Declined units become passive and reduced to one unit per territory but still count for your domain. You may have one active and one declined race per player, older ones disappear from the table. Belive me, the board will get "multicultural" enough.

image by cnidius

You get victory points for each territory you have at the end of your turn. After 9 rounds, the player with the most victory points wins. Of course there are always some exceptions in rules and extra points due to the special abilities.

Conclusion

It's a fun medium light strategy game with great looks. The race and special powers combinations offer a wide variety to play. It's has a unique theme and nice mechanics. If you are looking for a short (60 minutes) and stimulating strategy boardgame, don't hesitate to pick it up. After five plays, I give it 9 out of 10.

Pros:
+ simple rules that work well
+ quick and fun game flow
+ 14 races and 20 special powers
+ nice artwork
Cons:
- hardcore strategy fans may find it a bit simple
(It's hard to say anything bad about this game.)

Disclaimer: The title of the review is just a satirical joke. I do not mean any offense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review István, sounds like fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You know, I wasn't really expecting a positive review. After all, the subject line certainly implies you find that game very offensive.

Is modelling the rise and fall of civilizations racist? It really seems to me that it is not. All civilizations have risen, enjoyed a period of success, and - if history is any example - will in time fall.

So, I guess I don't understand your review title and the implied distaste it so obviously conveys...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
You know, I wasn't really expecting a positive review. After all, the subject line certainly implies you find that game very offensive.

Is modelling the rise and fall of civilizations racist? It really seems to me that it is not. All civilizations have risen, enjoyed a period of success, and - if history is any example - will in time fall.

So, I guess I don't understand your review title and the implied distaste it so obviously conveys...

I'm no native English speaker, but the tongue-in-cheek title made me expect exactly this kind of positive review.
OK, I also expected some Amazon joke ...
Can't wait until it arrives at my FLGS on Tuesday or Wednesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:

Hmmm, I got the opposite from the title. I think the "fun" part gave it away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrNecro wrote:

Maybe about the 2 player game ? Does it work well ?

Thanks for the review,
King Bing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
István Madarász
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:

It's just a joke. Relax. I tried to catch your attention and I guess I managed to do so.

The game is definetly good, try it out yourself.
King Bing wrote:
MrNecro wrote:

Maybe about the 2 player game ? Does it work well ?

Thanks for the review,
King Bing

I haven't played it with 2 players yet. Knowing the rules, I would say a 2 player game is also enjoyable, no problem with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only player number I dislike is 5. In a 5 player game it can easily happen that only 3 or 4 races are available at the end of the game and the downtime is a little high in the first games. (Furthermore you will see some races twice during one game, given that also happens with 3 or 4 players). Therefore I would love if DOW publishes an expansion in the near future whichs adds appr. 5 new race + some new powers to the game.

Therefore my rating:
2 p 9
3 p 9
4 p 9
5 p 8

Hm, interessting. The native speaker in this thread expected a negative review, while the non-native speaker (including the author) expected a positive, lo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Runyan
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tech7 wrote:
Hm, interessting. The native speaker in this thread expected a negative review, while the non-native speaker (including the author) expected a positive, lo

I can understand where he's coming from. I saw the title and gave it a 50/50 chance of being yet another misguided polemic or a light-hearted positive review.

If you've read some of the threads I have lately, you might understand our paranoia and jaded attitude.

I decided to read the review though hoping the title was meant as tongue and cheek and was pleased to see it was so!

Good review!

edit: I would have probably used the word "genocide" rather than "racism", though... for accuracy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven S
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
So it's a reprint of Vinci?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/60
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broken wrote:

Not a straight reprint.
The mechanics are based on Vinci, but it's been streamlined and rethemed for a broader market.
I'm sure there are / will be threads here listing the differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Szczepkowski
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
badge
γνῶθι σεαυτόν
mbmbmbmbmb
I do agree - 2-player game is dynamic and everything works well.It is also very copetitive, rather for agressive-style-playing paires. No place to independent, quiet development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review.

However, this :
MrNecro wrote:
One enemy unit dies and the others retreat to an adjacent area.

is an incorrect description.
The others don't retreat. They are taken into their owner's hand to be redeployed on his next turn (and not necessarily on adjacent area)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
István Madarász
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:
Nice review.

However, this :
MrNecro wrote:

The others don't retreat. They are taken into their owner's hand to be redeployed on his next turn (and not necessarily on adjacent area)

Thank you. I will correct it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrNecro wrote:
Disclaimer: The title of the review is just a satirical joke. I do not mean any offense.

People who didn't get that should be shot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review. I think I may certainly pick this game up. cool

Quote:

The title needs to be taken in context.
Otherwise which Elf, Dwarf & Orc civilizations are you referring to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Augusto Moreira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game mechanic is a lot similar with History of World...you play a civilization and conquest land...trade civilization and conquest new lands and keep making points with the old civilizations if this civilization yet has any lands or cities or monuments.
Can be funny try this new game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skarsnik Larsen
Sweden
Farsta
Sverige
flag msg tools
I will end you!
badge
Raaaaarh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, got me interested

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:
Nice review.

However, this :
MrNecro wrote:

Also incorrect

You may redeploy these remaining units at the the end of the active players turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tech7 wrote:
raviv wrote:
Nice review.

However, this :
MrNecro wrote:

Also incorrect

You may redeploy these remaining units at the the end of the active players turn.

Yes, that is my understanding of the rules as well. In a more-than-two-player game, deploying them at the end of the current player's turn should sometimes keep you from getting ganged up on too bad; once one player attacks you, you can use the displaced units to strengthen areas from other players' attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
István -- Thank you for the helpful review. Two questions:

1) Is there anything on the game boards that indicates which board is for which number of players? In the rules, it indicates there is, but I don't notice it on any of the pictures. I guess it's probably pretty easy to figure out based on the size/layout of the boards, but just curious.

2) Was it hard to remember to advance the round marker each turn? This, I think is going to be the hardest thing for me each game. I can remember to do it in games where there are clear breaking points between rounds (Agricola, Last Night on Earth, etc.), but in a game like this, where the last player's turn will so easily resemble the first player's turn, I see myself forgetting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jda1974 wrote:
István -- Thank you for the helpful review.
1) Is there anything on the game boards that indicates which board is for which number of players? In the rules, it indicates there is, but I don't notice it on any of the pictures. I guess it's probably pretty easy to figure out based on the size/layout of the boards, but just curious.

Yes, there is a mark indicating the number of players on each board (look for it in one of the corners).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Excited to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The summary of the game rules make it sound as if they've ripped off Vinci.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigfluffylemon wrote:
The summary of the game rules make it sound as if they've ripped off Vinci.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/49

Wait, what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.