Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: clarification [+] [View All]
Richard B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, haven't had a chance to sit down and play yet, but I picked up a copy of 'Wings of War: Famous Aces' and the following Miniatures (1) of each: Alb D.III, Fokker DR1, Spad XIII, Sop. Camel, Alb DVa, Fokker DVII, Sop. Snipe, and a Nieuport 17.

So all this talk of different damage decks etc., that I can't get a clear idea of what is exactly needed.

Say I wanted to run a game with all the above mentioned planes simultaneously -- do I need any other components from what I have?

If yes, then if I added any of the other minis, would I then need anything else?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
Most planes use the same type of Damage deck (I think the 'A' deck). Just look at the bottom of their stand. It tells you what damage deck to use.

If you were to use all of those planes, and they all use the 'A' deck, then you could use one Damage deck. HOWEVER, this severely changes the probability outcomes from the deck (since everyone is pulling from the same deck). If that bothers you, then you either need to get more decks, or just have some way of keeping track of damage without taking the cards out.

Personally, I just like to use one deck. Less to keep track of...

There is something in the BURNING DRACHENS rulebook about how to simulate a 'B' damage deck using an 'A' damage deck... you should check that out in the rulebook [url]http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm... [/url]. It is something like halfing the damage from the 'A' deck.

Have fun! It is a very fun game, especially with the minis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kelly
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All miniatures come with maneuver decks if I recall correctly. As long as you have a maneuver deck for each plane and a damage deck for each type of plane (not necessarily each plane) damage, you should have everything you need for a game. With Wings of War: Famous Aces and the decks that come with the miniatures, you should have everything you need...

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may have everything you need. It's almost a sure thing.

There are only two "different" damage decks-- the 'A' deck and the "B" deck.

Differences center on whether the firing plane has one or two machine guns.

All the planes in FA had two MGs (except for the Sopwith Triple-- altho they did include a couple very rare versions of that plane which added the 2nd gun). And all your miniatures have two guns-- except MAYBE for your N-17.

While one MG was really the norm for the N-17, there were some that carried 2. Of the 3 minies WoW has of the N-17, as I recall 2 of them are twin gun versions.

Your plane card (or stand) will tell you-- look for a red A (that looks like the red A on every other plane card you have)-- or a red B.

Getting the B deck has proven to be difficult for those who have not been following the whole system. B deck came in the second box- "Watch your Back," but has not appeared again, where "Burning Drachens" had an A deck (like FA) and also had a C and D deck (small ones) for ground fire and special ammo.

Many people have called for Nexus to make damage decks available as a separate item-- most especially the elusive B deck.

Of the minies released so far, all 3 of the Ufags (series 3) need a B deck and one of the N-17s. Of the series 2 planes (like your Fok D7 and Snipe) only 2 of the Dh4s called for a B deck.

While it is not quite the same, if you don't have a B deck, the simplest thing to do is use your A deck-- count 0 and 1 the same, and cut other damage numbers in half. I don't recall if there was an official entry on that, but I'd say if you want to be more lethal, round the damage points up. Less lethal is round them down. Be somewhat closer to B deck damage, I'd round 3 damage up (to 2 pts of damage) and round 5 damage down (to 2 pts of damage). That puts a lot of 2s, I know, but the B deck was much less lethal than the A, including having more zeros.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That answers everything perfectly & concisely.... now onto finding some time to put the planes to use.
Thanks alot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
The only caveat beyond kduke's comments is that if you wanted to use all 7 planes, you may find it helpful to have a second A damage deck to make it less likely that you'll run out of cards. Of course if you do, it's not that hard to come up with some system to replenish the deck, so it's not the end of the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.