United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
As I understand it Koldfoot wanted the RSPer Of The Next Few Days to alternate between people who are diametrically opposed to one another. Ideology-wise.

Being the anchor point of conservative clarity in RSP that left me with almost the entire cast of regulars here to pick from. So many choices, so many wrong-headed, condescending know-it-alls, so many liberal hacks with their blinders on… who to choose?

Well shit. Why not choose the one guy that even the liberals here often run afoul of? That’s right, there is only one person who is guaranteed to eventually piss everybody off. None other than…. Ta Da! David desJardins! The man with the weird name. The guy who’s idea of compassionate giving is to send another check to Obama. The most irritating Liberal in RSP.

I first ran into DaviddJ a few years back when I mentioned a book I’d read in the context of “selling at a loss and making it up in volume”. David attacked me like a school of voracious piranhas. Not because of the context I‘d used, but because of something entirely unassociated that the author had written that David vehemently objected to. Uh. Okay. It’s not like I had some sort of love affair with the author… I was just using his example as an example. But David persisted, bound and determined to prove that the author is a hapless Nimrod, not capable of even basic intelligence.

Sheesh!

When David finally landed here in RSP sometime back I was actually pleased. Despite the fact that he’s wrong almost 100% of the time he is reasonably intelligent and therefore has value. At the very least so us conservatives can get a better understanding of the enemy. And, in truth, every so often he does have flashes of insight that give us smarter people pause and make us wonder if we’re really as smart as we think we are. I’m not including me in that last bit… I actually am exactly as smart as I think I am. No more, no less.

So… David? I’ll leave the questions about what you and the Missus listen to between the sheets to your liberal compatriots in NYC where such things are more important and start with just a couple of questions that are much less salacious:

1. You mentioned ordering a Tesla. Surely you understand that battery operated vehicles are ultimately more damaging to the environment and more wasteful of diminishing resources than innovations like Honda’s hydrogen car? How can you, as a conservationist, justify a pointless purchase that is doomed to become a relic faster than buggy whips?

2. Do you have any conservatives as close friends?

3. Why the hell does a smart, affluent person like you spend time posting in RSP?

4. Were you a nerd in high school?
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, David, congratulations!

My question:

Do you consider yourself a snob?
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tripp, you have chosen wisely, as the knight guarding the holy grail might say. Sadly, you have misspelled David's surname, and I think you should fix that if you really plan to honor David with the spotlight. It is my sincere wish that David skip this thread entirely--that appeals to my sense of humor, and would reinforce the esteem that I've come over the years to afford the man. I think that might be less difficult for him than it would be for many others, but I guess we'll see.

I once asked a GeekQuestion regarding whether David was the most supercilious person around, and Robert Rossney answered in the negative, claiming that David's extreme powers of analysis were simply beyond my ability to fathom. For the record, I find David to be remarkably and effectively analytical, but I have no difficulty imagining him doing a Spock-style eyebrow raise just prior to putting some less analytical internet poster in his place.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
Congrats, David!

Here's a serious question for you. I know you said that supported Obama because, after you met him, you thought that he was very thoughtful. Fair enough, given the previous President (who I think is 'street smart', possibly, most is MOST DEFINITELY not that concerned with 'academic smarts').

But that begs the question- Did you ever meet the Clinton's? If so, what was your perception of Hilary? I've always felt that Mrs. Clinton was always a very intelligent woman.

What was the key point that made you decide to support Pres. Obama vs. Mrs. Clinton?

Darilian
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
I once asked a GeekQuestion regarding whether David was the most supercilious person around, and Robert Rossney answered in the negative, claiming that David's extreme powers of analysis were simply beyond my ability to fathom. For the record, I find David to be remarkably and effectively analytical, but I have no difficulty imagining him doing a Spock-style eyebrow raise just prior to putting some less analytical internet poster in his place.


Apparently you deleted that GQ because I remember answering it and was about to link it to this thread and it's GONE!!! YOU FREAKING CENSORING BASTARD. (I know it was exposing your man crush on David. I won't say a word.)

So David, if everyone followed you like Charlie Manson, what kind of space ship would we build?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
David, thank god it's you. I need your penetrating logic. I was going through my old VHS collection from the eighties this weekend and I came across my favorite movie but there's one scene that's got me stumped.

You see, there are two doors. One leads to certain death. Each door has a guard. One guard always lies, the other always tells the truth but you don't know which is which. You can ask one guard one question then you must go through a door. What do you ask?

If Chapel had been the RSPer of the day I probably would have just flipped a coin, but since it's you... well, I might get to see how the movie ends.

Second question. Do you think Jennifer Connelly is hot?
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey David, congrats on earning this much venerated award from the grand old/young man himself DWTripp.

I'm sure there will be many to kneel at your feet and beg thoughts and wisdom from you... given that it's a distinct possibility... make them pay in cold hard geekgold and endless hordes of thumbs.

Seeing as how I'm one of the masses that will kneel or if my knees aren't up to it lean in to confide... I'd ask you the following please:

a) What is your current most important thing that you've done for humankind... in your own view of course.

b) Blondes, brunettes, redheads or raven... (or something else) do you have a preference in yer women?

c) Lastly if you were forced to be on a desert island by circumstance and misadventure... what are the 3 most important non life saving things you'd bring with you.

thank you for your time.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Colleen, while you may think that I have a man crush on David, I assure you it's just a brain crush. I would love to claim just a small percentage of his mental acuity for my own nefarious purposes.

As to the GeekQuestion, I certainly never deleted it, nor did you ever apparently reply to it. I think you need to change your brand of crack!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/question/9496

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
As to the GeekQuestion, I certainly never deleted it, nor did you ever apparently reply to it. I think you need to change your brand of crack!


http://www.boardgamegeek.com/question/43771
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
See how easy it is when you just use the GeekQuestion search feature? Of course the question to which you refer was not the question to which I referred, and obviously I never deleted either of them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
David, have you ever met JC Lawrence (clearclaw)? If so, was the atmosphere in the room positively electric?
26 
 Thumb up
1.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
David, have you ever met JC Lawrence (clearclaw)? If so, was the atmosphere in the room positively electric?

Also, which one of you was right first?
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
David is an interesting poster because he is so precise in what he says. He only writes exactly what he means and one shouldn't read anything into his posts beyond what is written -- it truly is a rare characteristic.

David, I think I saw that you mentioned you had a PhD in mathematical statistics. What was your dissertation about?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
David, thank god it's you. I need your penetrating logic. I was going through my old VHS collection from the eighties this weekend and I came across my favorite movie but there's one scene that's got me stumped.

You see, there are two doors. One leads to certain death. Each door has a guard. One guard always lies, the other always tells the truth but you don't know which is which. You can ask one guard one question then you must go through a door. What do you ask?

If Chapel had been the RSPer of the day I probably would have just flipped a coin, but since it's you... well, I might get to see how the movie ends.

Second question. Do you think Jennifer Connelly is hot?


A double reference to the Labyrinth? David Bowie was so creepy in that movie, and not in a "Hey, the Goblin King is cool and a little scary" way, but in the "Shit, the Goblin King might want to touch my privates" way.



6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations, David.

Yeah, I too am looking forward to an entire thread devoted to David's razor-sharp logic :


.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:

David, I think I saw that you mentioned you had a PhD in mathematical statistics. What was your dissertation about?


While you wait for the man to respond, here's a link to his dissertation, which I read several years back when he first mentioned in some other forum that he'd obtained his degree.

http://www.desjardins.org/david/thesis/thesis.pdf

After you read it, you will know more about Elwyn Berlekamp's academic relationship to Stanislau Ulam than you did before, I'd wager.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
That’s right, there is only one person who is guaranteed to eventually piss everybody off.


Not me...although I guess "eventually" is still open.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting on the great man to show up...

While we wait, my questions:

1. David, I agree with the bulk of what you say in RSP, which as DW notes often has great analytical merit. But, I cannot shake the feeling that you disagree first, and analyse second. Do you think this is a fair analysis, or am I just being contrary?

2.a. As a super rich dude, do you find your quality of life is greatly improved over someone making a mere 100K, or does it just plateau out at some point. Does the third bathroom get a lot of use, is what I'm angling at.

2.b. Also, does being super rich make you a hit with the ladies?

3. Putting your analyst hat on, how would you change the US political system for the better? Voting systems? Term limits? Electoral college tinkering?

4. Guns: yea or nay?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, bonus question: do you have a regular game group with other BGG folks? Who is in said group?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:

David, I think I saw that you mentioned you had a PhD in mathematical statistics. What was your dissertation about?


While you wait for the man to respond, here's a link to his dissertation, which I read several years back when he first mentioned in some other forum that he'd obtained his degree.

http://www.desjardins.org/david/thesis/thesis.pdf

After you read it, you will know more about Elwyn Berlekamp's academic relationship to Stanislau Ulam than you did before, I'd wager.


I have to say the thesis is quite readable, which is impressive given the area of study. Not many people can write a paper of substance without making it completely incomprehensible. The code in the appendix could be a bit sturdier and more readable(gotos outside of exception handling?), but if it works, who am I to complain?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Congratulations, David!

Which scientific paper published in the last, say, 50 years would you single out as the most interesting?

Edit: question reworded.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:

Which scientific paper published in the last, say, 50 years would you single out as the most interesting?

I'm on the edge of my seat anticipating the answer to this one.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:

Second question. Do you think Jennifer Connelly is hot?


Also David, do you consider the sky to be blue, and would you say that 2 plus 2 is four?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
DdJ is the only user on my Geekbuddy list. Sorry if that creeps you out, man, but it's because my only use for this list is Recent Posts. To be honest, not a small part of why I "follow" DdJ is to read others' reactions to his posts; however, I like to think that the main reason is because the threads he lands in on the Games Forums makes for a good sampler of interesting discussions of interesting games (Dominion aside).

That said, screw you, RSP. Ever since DdJ started playing around in here, it's required a lot more pages on Recent Posts to scroll & scan through in order to find the gaming stuff.

</delurk>
8 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
Well done David.
Please advise me.

I'm often wrong.
You, on the other hand, never are.

How can I be more like you?

PS My entire current stock of GG is yours David, if you can piss Chad Ellis off in this thread within a week.

(This offer, for those new to poverty but still possesing a credit rating, is the "freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose" type of freedom that you now possess. Use it wisely.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.