Subject: Alhambra - tie breaking version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ove Hillep
Estonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Alhambra for more than a year now and today I learned that we have read the rules wrong. I'm not sure how I missed it and how no-one have corrected me before but I guess the version sounded reasonable enough. Anyway as I really like the spice it adds to the game I'm not sure if I'm gonna change the way we've played it and I'd also like to know what You think...

It is said in the rules that in case of tie players share the points. I bet that's the place where I went wrong. In case of two-player draw we considered them to be on the same position - in that way only one part of the points were shared.
Example: It's the B-scoring. John and Maria both have 2 towers (purple buildings). Matt has only one tower. John and Maria both occupy first place (note that they don't share 1st and 2nd place) and they score 13/2=6 points. Matt as being on the second place also scores 6 points as he doesn't have to share it with anyone.

I've noted that this rule adds some excitement to the game as players have to make sure that they really have more buildings of the same type then others since in case of draw he'd score only half of the sum. Also in this case there is sometimes much more profitable to have a second place instead of sharing the first...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hillep wrote:
...I'd also like to know what You think...
Short answer: needlessly punitive.

Your example not only cuts the score in half for John and Maria, it also harms them indirectly by giving Matt 6 points when he would otherwise get None (since he is effectively 3rd). I don't see this as serving any useful purpose, although it may be a curious way to play.

I am sympathetic, though, regarding your misinterpretation. I, too, puzzled at the indefinite narrative language when I first obtained the game and scanned the rules: if several players tie, the points for the respective places are shared. Closer examination of the provided example brought the needed clarification: Kim and Nina each have 4 towers. They share the points for 1st and 2nd place...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristjan Lennuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it also in that way for the first few times, but I felt the scoring mechanism was flawed. So later we reread the rules and found out the right way - which I think is much better. With the correct scoring rules, the one behind in buildings really has to make an effort to get even number with the leaders, not lay back and enjoy second place. And those who are tied for the first place still try to get ahead for scoring higher points while ensuring others get less than they would have got oterwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Nobile
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah,

It was also one of my mistakes the first times I've played Alhambra...

Expecially when I was playing the two-players version...

I think sharing the 1° and 2° place point is the correct way to maintain the scoring realistic and engaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.