Subject: Deck Management rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kendall Griffiths
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
My group is in the middle of our first RTL game using all of the expansions. There's a lot of different decks of cards to manipulate and we've been trying to figure out:
1) Which decks get reshuffled every time before you draw?
2) Which decks use a discard pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
griffitz62 wrote:
My group is in the middle of our first RTL game using all of the expansions. There's a lot of different decks of cards to manipulate and we've been trying to figure out:
1) Which decks get reshuffled every time before you draw?
2) Which decks use a discard pile?

Lets see. Decks;
OL Deck
Treasure (current type) Deck
Dungeon Level Deck
Incident Deck
Location Deck
Rumour Deck
Possibly 3 decks for Feats
Whatever I forgot Deck(s)...

Answering Q2 first...
OL deck, uses a discard pile
None of the others do (except Feats).
It seems to be commonly played (but not in the rules and not exclusively) that Dungeon levels at least use a discard pile, purely in the interests of variety (but also see the comment below).

Q1...
Incidents, Locations and Rumours are explicitly reshuffled before each draw. The OLs deck is explicitly shuffled at the start of each dungeon (not level) and when the OL goes through it. The fact that 'shuffling' is (uniquely) omitted from the description of drawing a new dungeon level is perhaps an indication that players who set aside 'done' levels are playing RAW better than players who do not.
Treasure is slightly more complicated because what is available each week at the market is available for that entire week, so must be set aside (perhaps placed on the market space on the mapboard). However all the rest of the time the deck should be shuffled before each draw*. It is possible, for example, to use a Flute of Repose at the start of a hero turn and then draw the same shuffled in Flute when opening a Chest later in the same heroes turn.
* Actually, I went and looked and it seems I made that part up!?! Nowhere in the rules for DJitD or RtL does it tell you to shuffle the Treasure decks in the first place! However there is a FAQ question referencing Crushing blow which indicates that 'the next time the treasure deck is shuffled...' And the rules for treasure in markets indicate that sold items, or unbought items at the end of the week, should be reshuffled back into the deck. It seems to me that the logical, but unstated, way to play the treasure decks to to shuffle them each time anything is drawn (remembering Market treasure sat out until the end of the week.
Feat decks are reshuffled when the last Feat is drawn from that deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
Treasure is slightly more complicated because what is available each week at the market is available for that entire week, so must be set aside (perhaps placed on the market space on the mapboard). However all the rest of the time the deck should be shuffled before each draw*. It is possible, for example, to use a Flute of Repose at the start of a hero turn and then draw the same shuffled in Flute when opening a Chest later in the same heroes turn.
* Actually, I went and looked and it seems I made that part up!?! Nowhere in the rules for DJitD or RtL does it tell you to shuffle the Treasure decks in the first place! However there is a FAQ question referencing Crushing blow which indicates that 'the next time the treasure deck is shuffled...' And the rules for treasure in markets indicate that sold items, or unbought items at the end of the week, should be reshuffled back into the deck. It seems to me that the logical, but unstated, way to play the treasure decks to to shuffle them each time anything is drawn (remembering Market treasure sat out until the end of the week.
Feat decks are reshuffled when the last Feat is drawn from that deck.
I always play that treasure is only resuffled at the end of each week. That way, you shuffle the market cards back in at the same time you shuffle in sold items, destroyed items, and treasure cache cards.

Maybe I'm just looking for ways to save wear on my cards, but if my overlord deck is any indication, that's something quite worth worrying about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We shuffled all the decks to start, and then haven't shuffled any decks except Treasure decks since. Mainly cause we want to go through all the Dungeons/Rumors/Locations/Encounters rather than repeat any, so each time we put the game away, we just rubber-band the decks as-is and set them back up.

As for the Treasure Decks, for the same reason (we hate seeing repeats), we only shuffle them at the start of a *session*. That way, during the night that we play, we get pretty new cards.

But officially, I think it's everytime you draw a card from any of the decks, you're supposed to shuffle them...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bsushort wrote:
I always play that treasure is only resuffled at the end of each week. That way, you shuffle the market cards back in at the same time you shuffle in sold items, destroyed items, and treasure cache cards.

Maybe I'm just looking for ways to save wear on my cards, but if my overlord deck is any indication, that's something quite worth worrying about.

It isn't much to go on, but if shuffling is always at the end of the week then you would think that that would be indicated when the rules discuss Sold items.

It is, IMO, a significant advantage to the heroes to only shuffle at the end of the week, as they are far more likely to be selling, discarding or 'using up' the rubbish items than losing the good items to CB/Frost. So not reshuffling in the stuff they don't want improves the proportion of good/bad stuff in the deck for the remainder of the week.
When you can go through an entire campaign level without seeing a single Armour item and only 1 'good' Other item, yet have every single useless piece of crap like Eyes of Thara etc, the proportions of the 'good' and 'bad' items left in the deck assume monumental significance.

Still, there is virtually nothing to go on in the rules, so one way is almost as good as the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.