Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing this today and hoping for a fast answer. If 4 units retreat into a fortress in their space (thereby avoiding field battle) do they start checking supply that same turn? We have been playing that those units must either:
1) Take a step loss each
2) Have a leader take a step loss to supply them (subject to allied restrictions)
3) Have the fortress take a step loss to supply them.

The confusion is also because the rules state that the supply path many not be traced _through_ a besieged city but do not state that supply may not be traced _out of_ a besieged city (though this seems logically the case.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think that leaders can supply any units unless the units are in a town, so if the leader is himself in the fortress being besieged with other units (and therefore doesn't have the town available) then he can't offer supplying of units.

My understanding is that if a fortress is being besieged then the units must check for supply like normal and because they are cut off from supplies then like you said you can either:
a) Have the units take a step loss each.
b) Or have the fortress lose a step due to being used as a supply source by the units.

I don't see how a besieged city could be considered anything other than completely cut off from its own side - after all, it is understood that it is being besieged and therefore totally surrounded by enemy forces.

Also, don't forget the separate siege attrition roll takes place after the supplying and that the besieger must lose an automatic step from one besieging unit (some of the soldiers leave on their own cognizance's due to the boredom and tension of besieging I guess?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct that the turn of a siege the besieged units are subject to a supply check. Your options are:

1) each unit takes a step loss
2) take a step off the fortress if it has more than one step
3) take a step off a leader if present (I can see where there might be confusion with the rules saying "city," but it is only meant to signify the units must be co-located vice a fortress that can provide limited supply to all units able to trace a valid path.)
4) play the supply cache card.

Only the besieging player can trace supply through the city space.

I hope this clarifies the issue. Thank you,

Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.