Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Firth
United States
Sanger
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Been continuing my battle between Dwarfs and Orcs.

What is the difference between Flanking and Pinching? Is it that in Flanking only one unit is attacking an enemy unit on its flank, and Pinching is when a unit is engaged by two units---say one in front and the other from the flank?

The combat modifiers for Flanking and Pinching are combined, correct?

I don't see any penalties for Bow units engaging in Melee combat. Is that correct? Thanks.

Trolls are nasty characters. The Dwarves are having a hard time handling them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What is the difference between Flanking and Pinching? Is it that in Flanking only one unit is attacking an enemy unit on its flank, and Pinching is when a unit is engaged by two units---say one in front and the other from the flank?

Yes flanking is attacking a unit from one of it's sides. Pinching happens when you attack a unit from more than one side. It could be the front and flank. Or both flanks. Etc. A unit only gets the pinching bonus if they are not being pinched themselves, but they still count as pinching the unit for other engaged units.

Quote:
The combat modifiers for Flanking and Pinching are combined, correct?

Yes, all modifiers are combined. A comon situation is the charge a unit into the flank of a unit who is already engaged. This will get you a (0) +2, +2 bonus. (0) +1, +1 for pinching. (0) +1, 0 for flanking. And (0) 0, +1 for charging.

Quote:
I don't see any penalties for Bow units engaging in Melee combat. Is that correct? Thanks.

The penalties for engaged bow units are on the archer cards themselves. For example you Dwarven bowmen are (0) -2, -2 while engaged. On the other hand they could get bonuses too like the Dwarven Crossbowmen are (+2) 0, 0 and Defense +1/ 0 while engaged.

Hope this helps. When facing a big nasty unit take advantage of your numbers advantage and try flanking and pinching it. That +2, +2 on the charge should take it down quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Firth
United States
Sanger
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
The penalties for engaged bow units are on the archer cards themselves. For example you Dwarven bowmen are (0) -2, -2 while engaged. On the other hand they could get bonuses too like the Dwarven Crossbowmen are (+2) 0, 0 and Defense +1/ 0 while engaged.

Ahh, I missed that. Forgot to look on the back of the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm, everything Peter said is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.