Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Knowles
United States
Willowick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For people who like and/or prefer using real dice in games,could you use dice in place of current mechanic and just draw card for triggers.Blasphemy,right? Ludicrous at best,eh? Don't get me wrong,game is great and I like it.I just like rolling dice,too.

Just wondering.

bikerboy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a different game when the need for a different game overrides my desire to play this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. The triggers are a finely tuned mechanism in the game (I think... ) and I think rolling would throw it off a bit.

Chuck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bikerboy wrote:
For people who like and/or prefer using real dice in games,could you use dice in place of current mechanic and just draw card for triggers.Blasphemy,right? Ludicrous at best,eh? Don't get me wrong,game is great and I like it.I just like rolling dice,too.

Just wondering.

bikerboy

Chuck is right. You would still have to pull cards to see if there were triggers. If you don't, then the scenarios would take longer, and tend to throw balance to the Attacker. As long as you are pulling the cards anyway, why throw the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Knowles
United States
Willowick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of card draws,are the odds for dice rolls the same as if you rolled the dice yourself or are they skewed somewhat.As for playing a game with dice as opposed to this one,I was merely curious as to the feasibility of using dice.As I said in the OP,I like the game and I think it is good.Also I'm not into changing rules,procedures,etc. normally, but I was wondering about the odds for certain rolls by drawing cards.I'm sure this has been talked about before on BGG but I missed it.

bikerboy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McBeth
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, on a fresh deck, the odds are the same, but as the rolls don't replace on each card draw, the stats are going to slowly skew. If you were paying attention, you could probably keep track of what way it was skewing, but as earlier mentioned, the card depletion mechanic is one of the defender's tools to win the game and replacing card flips with die rolls is going to heavily skew many scenarios to the attacker. Overall, making the replacement is a bad bad idea, and would completely not work under Pacific due to some new mechanics there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad Walt REALLY likes to roll dice. Therefore we tried the variant you suggest more than a year ago. He pulled cards for triggers but ignored the printed dice on the cards, and threw real dice for those.

This only lasted about 45 minutes before Walt concluded that it was more work than it was worth to both throw dice and pull cards for every result.

(The decision might have had something do to with the fact that his dice were very cold for those 45 minutes)

We went back to using the dice printed on the cards, which I have always preferred anyway.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can not in any way substitute dice for the card-drawing mechanic in CC.

Apart from the obvious reasons people have posted above, as you go through a deck the probabilities of "rolling" high or low numbers will vary depending on what has already hit the discard pile and astute players will take this into consideration when planning moves.

If you want a similar game involving lots of dice I suggest Tide of Iron which I like almost as much as CC and you can through dice by the handful if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should just get a bucket full of dice game to play him in like Wellington or Napoleonic Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Knowles
United States
Willowick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotcha.Anyway,I've always played CC with rules as published.I was just curious,that's all.Also,yeah,I have TOI and like it very much,but I still need my CC fix.I also have CoH and like that one as well.I've played SL but not ASL and I also own ATS (Adv. Tobruk and Omaha)but haven't played 'em yet.My main gaming buddy is big time old school;he likes rolling dice and being able to do what he wants when he wants,period.Me,it's no biggee.I'm even into some euros.He has no use for euros at all.

Thanx for the input.

bikerboy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you draw the card for a dice result and any resulting events and then roll dice to substitute for what dice result is on the card it would make no difference except to make things a bit more random and add to the length of the game. But trying to replace the card draw with a dice roll would not work.

The way the card/dice roll mechanic works and because of cards in your hand etc., the card dice result is skewed somewhat. It's not a truly random distribution for any individual dice draw. But over the course of a game how much this actually affects the game I couldn't say but I would guess not much. In playing it, I never notice or really think about it. But I suspect an astute card counter could work out probability curves based on what cards are in the discard pile and in hand. Would it give them an advantage ? I doubt much if any at all given the fluid nature of the game. The only situation that jumps out at me would be if you had counted and knew there were several low dice roll cards left in an almost empty deck. You might be inclined not to waste valuable fire orders and instead discard through the remainder to trigger a time event and reshuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.