Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This is my first thread. I hope the general forum is ok.

I found these all by themselves at Volunteer's of America thrift store in a big box. I'm assuming this was from an estate. (I'll post in that geek list tomorrow).

I'm not really into this type of game, but I'd like to use the proceeds to venture into some new games that appeal to me and people that I'm going to try to introduce to geekier gaming. (Carcassonne was the baby step)

Anyhow, the punched pieces all have writing on them. Do you know if this makes these worthless? They are all in "good" condition otherwise.

The writing seems to indicate what the image is depicting. I'm guessing this is to save time from looking it up. So, we're talking that someone went through the trouble of writing thousands of reference codes on the back of every single punched piece.

Hey, at least it was something different than the several copies of Trump: The Game that have been there forever!

Update: I'm less of a newb! So, the "writing" is only on the backs of blank counters, which there are far fewer than I first realized. This is to aid the gamer in finding the appropriate counter as they are flipped and jumbled. Thanks for every one's help. I'll update my progress on accounting for contents here if anyone cares.

The Civil War - Complete 100% Counted
Pickett's Charge - Complete 100% Counted
Advanced Third Reich - Complete 100% Counted
Rise and Decline of the Third Reich - Poor condition, looks complete, but low price means I'm not going to waste time counting it.
Squad Leader - Missing all maps from both kits. One box appears to be all counters bagged from both kits. The other box has a once inch stack of scenarios, rules, and reference cards. I feel like a 3rd box is missing that contained all the maps.
Wooden Ships & Iron Men - Complete except for one little full sail counter. There are 23 others.
1776 - Complete except missing a set of tactical cards, but the other set is there for easy duplication. There's also a PDF available on BGG.
Caesar's Legions - Complete except for one tactical maneuver card.
Gettysburg (125th Anniversary edition) - Complete 100%. IN this box is also a version of the 1958 Gettysburg. It's a two-fer! Unfortunately, 6 counters are missing, 4 of which are important.
2nd Fleet,3rd Fleet,5th Fleet,Sixth Fleet,7th Fleet - Each box was missing a number of repeating gameplay counters. In addition, there was about 20 ship counters missing in total. However, all maps rulebooks and what not are present

Update: - Done counting and even sold the fleet series to a BGG member! I've decided that wooden ships and iron men will be my keeper. It's a classic and has a lot of support. The Civil War stuff just doesn't interest me. Thanks for everyone's help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, assuming the "writing" on the backs of the counters is only on those counters that are "single-sided", meaning they were only printed on one side, and no writing is actually on the printed sides of counters, you probably have between $300-$400 worth of games there, just based on my recollection of eBay prices for most of them. It's a shame you aren't into wargames, because there are some nice ones in that collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice find indeed! I am not sure the worth of all of them with the writing and such, but I will take them off of your hands

I will give you double what you paid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[SnideMode] Yes, they are entirely worthless. Rather than just dumping them in a landfill somewhere, it would be best if you immediately mailed them to me and I will dispose of them properly.[\SnideMode]

But seriously, yes, writing on the components makes them worth somewhat less, but it also depends on the extent of the writing and the value of the underlying game. If the writing is just on the back of non-back-printed counters, then there is hope. If someone went nuts writing on everything so that it distracts one from playing the games, that's a different matter.

But certainly, you could sell them as players copies and -- again, depending on the value of the specific game -- still be able to make a profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Here is a pic of the markers, 2 shown face side and flip side with writing.Thanks for the above replies!

I can't believe that he wrote on every single marker. I can't imagine how many hours that would have taken. These things have hundreds of markers each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looks like the info on the back matches the printed side; i.e., "1FF" means 1 Fleet Factor (same as the front), as does "1-3 INF". Maybe the original owner didn't want to have to flip the counters over to see what was printed on the front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
It's a shame you aren't into wargames, because there are some nice ones in that collection.

Well, I'm not sure that I'm not into wargames. I've actually just started to move slowly into gaming beyond party games. I just joined BGG last week to contact a local gamer to help me out with game introductions. Previous to that, I've just used BGG to drool and select party games.

I'll take a look at one of them and try a solitaire game just out of curiosity. They just look intimidating. I guess no more intimidating than Battlelore's 80 page manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even as player's copies, you've got quite a find there. I certainly wouldn't mind acquiring some of the titles, but finding a job is my priority these days. Some people just dream of running into a stash like that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
The more important question would be are the games complete? i.e. are all the counters there - regardless of writing on the back meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
The more important question would be are the games complete? i.e. are all the counters there - regardless of writing on the back meeple

If you come over and count the contents for me, I'll split the games 50/50 and buy you a six pack.

Who wants to count to 10,000 one marker at a time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooden Ships & Iron Men, if complete, is worth a nice bit, and is an EXCELLENT 1600-1830 era naval tactical combat. Its the gold standard by which many others are measured. Probably $20-$30, based upon prices asked on the geek.

1776 is one of the great games on the US revolutionary war. Probably $10-$15, based upon prices currently asked on the Geek...

With writing on the backs, the value is down a bit, but both of those should fetch a pretty penny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtabler wrote:
If you come over and count the contents for me, I'll split the games 50/50 and buy you a six pack.

Where are you in PA? How far are you from Binghamton, NY? If you're only a couple of hours away, then, honestly, this sounds like a fun way to spend a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's make a deal for VG's The Civil War !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

There's some real value in that pile. Proceed with care and you'll be able to support your euro habit for a couple of years.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

There's some real value in that pile. Proceed with care and you'll be able to support your euro habit for a couple of years.

Ok everyone, I promised myself to start counting tonight. I'll verify and document all contents.

That's the word I hear thrown around a lot on here "habit, addiction, like crack". I keep asking myself, should I or shouldn't I? I can see myself 10,000 dollars later surrounded by a heaping pile of game boxes, a miniature painting studio, and a dedicated game room that overflows into every other room, and a custom built flip down playing board for solitaire gaming while sitting on the toilet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
trawlerman wrote:
jtabler wrote:

Where are you in PA? How far are you from Binghamton, NY? If you're only a couple of hours away, then, honestly, this sounds like a fun way to spend a day.

Just outside of Harrisburg, so that makes it a long trip. Were you in Maryland, it would be a different story! You'd probably start teaching me the games anyhow and then I wouldn't want to part with any of them. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would at least try playing Wooden Ships and Iron Men before you decide sell it--this is a classic!

Best regards, David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One option besides BGG and EBAY is on August 4 is the big World Board Gaming Championship WBC Auction in Lancaster, PA only 45 minutes or so from Harrisburg. WBC use to be Avalon Hill's Big Con so there is a lot of War gamers and people who still play old AH games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Well, assuming the "writing" on the backs of the counters is only on those counters that are "single-sided", meaning they were only printed on one side, and no writing is actually on the printed sides of counters, you probably have between $300-$400 worth of games there, just based on my recollection of eBay prices for most of them. It's a shame you aren't into wargames, because there are some nice ones in that collection.

I'm not so sure it's $300-$400. I would say more like $250. $10-$20 each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
The big jewels of that lot is the complete series of "Fleet" games from Victory Games. Depending on condition, those alone should fetch you $200-300, in total.

The others are all in the $10-25 range apiece, with Advanced Third Reich and Civil War possibly going for $30-40, each, instead.

Personally, I'd be very interested in that copy of Gettysburg, to use as a classroom copy at the school I work at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ok everyone. I started counting and am confused. The fleet games are in the best condition, so I figured they would be a good test. However, I can't get the counter/marker numbers to come out right.

When it says contains 480 5/8 inch counters and 260 1/2 counters, is it counting front and back. So, some that have blanks on the back would only be counted once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When it says contains 480 5/8 inch counters and 260 1/2 counters, is it counting front and back. So, some that have blanks on the back would only be counted once?

Not a chance. While the box back or rules manifest can have errors, the number of counters is the separate pieces of cardboard. Some pieces might have been left blank (both sides if applicable) and a gamer might discard them or save them for home made uses or replacements. But without a matching number of pieces you can't accurately sell it as a complete game (if you value your reputation) without also verifying what's on every individual counter.

Still far, far from worthless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So, we're talking that someone went through the trouble of writing thousands of reference codes on the back of every single punched piece.

And I see you've not heard of counter "clipping."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
You shouldn't just count the pieces, but check a counter sheet scan instead, to see whether the game contains blanks or a number of identical markers. It's no big deal if a game misses one of these markers, but missing an otherwise essential piece is.

Given you can verify completeness, all of these games are worth at least circa $20 ($15 for the more damaged ones), the Fleet series and "Civil War" are each worth about $30 due to their smaller print runs and higher original cost, "Caesar's Legions" and "Pickett's Charge" are worth $40 or maybe more, because they're old and rare.

"Wooden Ships $ Iron Men" was a good game back in its days, but "Close Action" is much better.

From the lot you got there I recommend you try "6th Fleet" and "Squad Leader". Consims (war games) are daunting to learn, but can 'yield a lot of delight' to say the least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
Quote:
So, we're talking that someone went through the trouble of writing thousands of reference codes on the back of every single punched piece.

And I see you've not heard of counter "clipping."

Correct! Clipping you say...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.