Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Salyers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have only played a few times (like 4-5) and have considered that good course design may help with getting breakaways out early and not just towards the end of the game. Anyone have good recs to consider for creating courses that can benefit earlier breakaways? Seems that a longer descent early on may do this, as well as a shorter climb. What aspects do you find make a better course, or a less impressive or fun course?

Also, can one gain extra energy points on a breakaway by not using all of your free moves? Seems like a sly way to boost a few points then have the peleton suck you up again when it moves. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reduce the length of the initial flat stretch. Things usually start to happend as the first mountain is reached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Casey
United Kingdom
Caversham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Where'd he go?
mbmbmbmbmb
Soaker wrote:
Also, can one gain extra energy points on a breakaway by not using all of your free moves? Seems like a sly way to boost a few points then have the peleton suck you up again when it moves. Thanks.
I just got this and wondered the same thing as I read the rules. As far as the letter of the rules go, there's nothing that says you can't, but then the rules seem to have a few holes. I'm personally going to house rule that you can't.

Alternatively, I might rule that you are not absorbed by the pelaton on a turn you break away - so if you regain energy by not taking your full move, the pelaton could fly past you and leave you in a "catch up" position. Its generally going to cost you more to catch up than you gained back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you can save energy when breaking away - IF your free movement is more than 4 spaces and you move at least 4 spaces!

Which basicly mean that you can at most save 1 energy when you're riding downhill AND slipstreaming!

As for the peloton catching up with a rider attempting to break away: the rules alreadu provide sufficient penalty for that.

In the above example the rider has saved 1 whole energy (wow!) but if he is swalloved by the peloton may he end up paying 1, 2 or even 3 Energy depending upon the speed of the peloton.

Same goes if a rider is truly trying to break away: if you don't spend sufficient energy to get away may the peloton leader try to run you in, thus draining for even more energy - which is exactly what happends in real life!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.