United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my week came to a close. 6 pages - half of the posts mine, 111 thumbs - not bad.

But we aren't here to talk about that. We are here to meet the next GotW -
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This guy records his plays - 262 games of Micropul and counting!
and puts out session reports at an amazing rate - Can you top 85 reports?
He's also an avid player of Heroscape - He's a top 20 collector of the stuff. Now he gets to say his piece, and then you get to question the guy. Have fun!

Hendal wrote:
So I am the youngest of 5 kids and grew up in a family that played a lot of games. My mom and dad loved word games so scrabble, boggle, and anything else my mom could find was always around. I also played way to much Monopoly I am sure for the likes of most BGG'ers. Our family played way to much cribbage, backgammon, and card games. I also learned Chess at a very early age and played that a whole lot till about 9th grade. When I was about 10 my friend got the Basic D&D game, we played it, loved it, and lucky for us his parents where rich and he could afford everything for AD&D and we never turned back ( being able to buy lead figures was way out of my budget ). We played a lot of Gamma world also. We had a lot of other games that we played, and then Computers came along and we where way into computer games for a long while. We went to our first Gencon when I was 13 and we where there for AD&D and had way to much fun ( my friend was 14 and we where totally on our own ). Then we started to going to parties and getting interested in Girls so RPG's kinda faded out. At about 16 or so my friend introduced me to Risk and we played that all the time and I loved it, but understood it was way to long of a game in general. I went off to college and tried to play AD&D a few times but neither time lasted very long - so I was a video game junkie. I was almost a wood shop and a speech teacher for high school and I then took a glass blowing glass for fun my last semester and I fell in love with it, so I switched to the arts and never looked back. I then ended up in Costa Rica backpacking through the country for 7 weeks and liked it but did not love it. My next trip down in 1992 I found the best part of the country and bought a beach shack for $3,600 and I went back to the states for a few months to blow glass, get money , and buy kayaks. I then started the 1st tour company in the frontier of Costa Rica ( Osa Peninsula, home to Corcovado Park )and did way to much Kayaking for 14 years down here, I sold that over 5 years ago and am a much happier person not having to oversee a big tour company.
So I got back into AD&D down here and had a good regular group I was playing with, but I was DM and hated the fact that I had to do homework for others to play a game and I didn't even really get to play? One of my good friends gave me a copy of " Knights of the Diner Table " and I reread the thing 10 times and went and bought some for myself. They had a section " Games we Play " and Runebound and Heroscape where mentioned all the time. The next trip to the States I bought Runebound and Heroscape thinking I would use the Terrain from Heroscape for AD&D - boy was I wrong! Runebound takes to long for me and my group and Heroscape seemed perfect to me. The more I played it the more I fell in love with it. I could not get enough of Heroscape and I decided I never want to be a DM again - not when I can play heroscape and be part of it and not have to do any homework. So I joined my first on-line community for Heroscape and thought it was very very cool. I went to my first tournament for Heroscape in Ohio and thought I would get killed, turns out I got 2nd and my friend I went with got first using a army I designed for him ( playing him in the finals wasa very cool way to start my Heroscape Tourney adventures ). Then I started holding tournaments for Heroscape and decided this is the game I have waited my whole life for.

Then I found the BGG and was very impressed. I read about gateway games and Euro games and found out about Ameri-trash games and just learned so much about games. Who knows what a meeple is unless your a gamer. So I decided I should try some of these games and found that I really liked them. Heroscape is a great game if you have a lot of room and some good friends who also love the game. To go to someones house for the night I have found that board games are a better choice then Heroscape by a long shot. So then you get a few games, and this leads to more, and more, and then you find yourself with a good size collection and you finally understand what all these people here area talking about when they say it is hard to store all their games. It is a challenge getting games here and/or affording them with all the added costs I some times get hit with, but the more I get the more it seems worth it.
Last Year I went back to GenCon, but this year for Heroscape ( 27 years after my first visit ) - I placed 5th in the national tournament and was very happy with that placing. I was ranked 1st for the sweet 16, so again I was really really pumped about that. GenCon opened my eyes even more to gaming and the open library room is a dream come true for any gamer. I am going back this year, which is a big deal coming all the way up from Costa Rica.
So I think that brings you up to speed with my gaming life!

And, for the fun. We have 2 truths a lie for you to guess.

1 I followed the Grateful Dead for years and then got to hang out with Bob Weir ( from the Grateful Dead ) as we showed him around the rainforest.

2 When I was 13 I got Gary Gygax to sign my DM book and it is still one of my cherished items.

3 I tried making a RPG based on Thundar the barbarian a kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And of course some questions to start you off.

-What makes micropul so appealing that you've played it so many times?

-Do you play it mostly single player or 2-player?

-Give us a mini-review on Heroscape - why you like it so much.

-What's your favorite part about BGG?

-How often do you get to play games?

-What's so great about Costa Rica?

And #2 is the lie - nice try

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
belated & immediate GRATZ! to the both of yas guys! You know that many of his 'kindred' fellow GotW hang out within here? surprise
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekchat2.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Hendal. Have a great week in the limelight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup

Good choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
And of course some questions to start you off.

-What makes micropul so appealing that you've played it so many times?

-Do you play it mostly single player or 2-player?

-Give us a mini-review on Heroscape - why you like it so much.

-What's your favorite part about BGG?

-How often do you get to play games?

-What's so great about Costa Rica?

And #2 is the lie - nice try

Micropul - Mainly 2 player, my wife loves it so we play a lot. Even after that many games I am still learning new tricks and strategies about the game, which makes it a great game for me.

Heroscape - It looks like it's a kids game form the box, but it is as a very strategic game with a lot of depth. I am big on dice so this game combines Risk, chess, and D&D all into one - and all parts of it are perfect for me ( the terrain is the best out there and I could spend days just building maps, the figures are pre-painted, all genre's are covered in the game, drafting rocks, just so much to choose from, customization for the game is easy and fun on all sides of it for me. )

BGG Favorite - that is a very tough question? I think it would depend at what stage I am at here at the Geek. Right now I am having a blast at GeekQuestions ( but I wonder how long they will put up with all my Heroscape answers ), I was loving the auctions for a while, but you have much better luck them me because 2 of my first 3 auction wins got lost in the mail, and the 3rd was sent to my niece, so at least that one arrived but I have not seen it. I would say the access to info on all the games is the best part for me, I have a small collection by BGG standards I would say, so it is still going to be growing for the next 2 years at least, which means I need to know about all the new games and all the best old ones and the BGG is the only place for all of that rolled into one place.

I play games as much as I can, but it is up and down depending on way to many other factors. If I am not playing face to face I try and play Carcassonne and settlers over at asobrains - I think this site rocks and you can find Hendal there a lot. My wife is a semi-gamer, I have good friends here who are gamers, and all the volunteers in our botanical gardens will play games. The more games I get and the more people I teach means all the more gaming going on for me. I have a lot of friends who like games but have never had access to good games, so I am getting those people hooked on good games and getting them to stop by more and more - so my gaming time is growing all the time I feel. I got in 8 games yesterday and am very happy about that.

Costa Rica - It is always warm, the women are beautiful, we have great surfing waves, I see monkeys right outside my door, big giant trees all over the place, everything grows so easily here, low key life style, a slower easier pace of life, fishing is easy, and I doubt I could have 5-10 volunteers working for free for me in the states.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim, super congrats!!! What a great choice for GoTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic choice for GotW! Congrats to Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ethier
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Tim!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You say that you lived in the US before going to Costa Rica, where did you grow up? Was the change of climate attractive to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
You say that you lived in the US before going to Costa Rica, where did you grow up? Was the change of climate attractive to you?

I am From Ohio - the Heart of it All!

I moved here to get away from the cold, I loved winter as a kid, but I have a really bad back and the cold is just to much for me these days so I moved to where I can live in a pair of surf shorts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS TOM!!! THIS ROCKS!!!

A GEEKBUDDY of mine, AND a HEROSCAPER to boot!!!

Can´t think of a better choice for GOTW!!!

(Thought you might like to know that in about 2 weeks time, we can celebrate our Half Year Anniversary at the League of Extraordinary Heroscapers... Please, no Jägermeister this time!)

- How is the house comming along?
- All-time favourite HS squad/hero?
- How many Geekqustions have you answered/asked?
- What REALLY happened with you and that bottle of Jägermeister at the League 3 month party?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I´m guessing number 1 is the lie.

2 and 3 seem more up your alley...

P.s. To celebrate your week in the spotlight, I bought the "BGG 4 EVER!" microbadge...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Tim Tom!

No questions, just congrats!

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats. You have had a very interesting journey thus far and I suspect it will be just as interesting in the years ahead. Excellent choice for Geek of the Week. Good to see you are an ambassador to gaming by teaching others and showing people a great leisure pursuit. Games are "Fitness for the Mind".

Question:
You live in paradise; other than periodic travels to the States, do you travel much? What places are on your Travel list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has spent time in that beautiful country called Costa Rica, I say 'Congradulations!'

Costa Rica is amazing; I cycled 400 miles through the country & the best bit had to be cycling around the base of the Arenal volcano - the fresh magma spits that had cooled to form rocks. We stayed in the Arenal Observatory Lodge & saw the volcano erupt a little bit! We also cycled to Tilaran amongst other places.

Hmm - I need to drag out my photos & notes of the route again! This brings back memories !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bixby wrote:
Congrats. You have had a very interesting journey thus far and I suspect it will be just as interesting in the years ahead. Excellent choice for Geek of the Week. Good to see you are an ambassador to gaming by teaching others and showing people a great leisure pursuit. Games are "Fitness for the Mind".

Question:
You live in paradise; other than periodic travels to the States, do you travel much? What places are on your Travel list?

thanks Matt -
We try and travel a lot, this last year has been less then ever because we are building my heroscape room - I mean our house. We travel Central America a lot and when we go the USA we always spend time traveling to new places there also.
I really want to Hit NEw Zealand, Australia, and then any where in the Asia No cold vacations for me, but Islands really Appeal to me since our peninsula here is almost an island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

Um, just so we are clear - my name is Tom

tim, TIm, TIM, TImmy - comes from South Park, and is how I greet a few of my friends down this way

Game On' ( is from Wayne's World )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:
Hey All,

Um, just so we are clear - my name is Tom

tim, TIm, TIM, TImmy - comes from South Park, and is how I greet a few of my friends down this way

Game On' ( is from Wayne's World )

That's what a Cylon would say!

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
If Broderick Crawford were in Costa Rica, would Arlene Dahl follow?

Wait, wait, I'm in the wrong venue.

Anyway, what language do you speak most of the time (particularly in your travels). Is this difficult for you?

Are you still in the $3600 house from 1992 and just what does 3600 (1992 dollars) purchase?

Are there other US citizens who you have befriended and play games with down there, or do you mostly play with local folk.

Any kids?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Go Costa Rica!

laugh

Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo! One of my first GeekBuddies! Congratulations Tom!

My question for you is really more of a request: Could you post pictures of some of your glass blowing work? That would be awesome. Have you attempted a blown-glass Tor-Kul-Na yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Timmy!

Way to go Hendal!

• Where does the name "Hendal" come from, and why is it significant to you?
• Tell us about the Costa Rica chocolate!
• Monkeys - any good stories?
• Have you fully recovered from the Crack-head Fire?
• Do you have any glass blowing capability in Costa Rica?

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
If Broderick Crawford were in Costa Rica, would Arlene Dahl follow?

Wait, wait, I'm in the wrong venue.

Anyway, what language do you speak most of the time (particularly in your travels). Is this difficult for you?

Are you still in the $3600 house from 1992 and just what does 3600 (1992 dollars) purchase?

Are there other US citizens who you have befriended and play games with down there, or do you mostly play with local folk.

Any kids?

I just laughed out load, man I love GeekQuestions!

No the $3,600 house was rented for over 5 years to my old tour company, and now I am starting to fix it up and it is our simple guest house near the beach.

There is a large community of ex-pats so I play with other Americans mainly. Our botanical gardens has a volunteer program that attracts people from all over the world so I get to play games with people from all over ( we have a guy from belgium, a girl from India, 2 people from the usa, 1 girl from Scotland, a couple from the states and a lady from Chile all volunteering right now, but it changes all the time ) although it is mainly me teaching people games. I just had 2 friends donate games ( Carc & Settlers ) to the Volunteer program when I told them that games are helping to keep volunteers longer but it means my collection is spread out.

Very Sorry to say " No Kids " was not our plan, but my wife has Hughes syndrome ( sticky blood ) and it is just not to be - so that is real bummer for me as I was so looking forward to inhouse gamers, but I am the favorite uncle to all - who else brings games, sends them games in the mail, and plays sports with them as much as they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.