15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Wargames not about war/military/combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a 'wargame' style of game, but with the militaristic aspect. Two key examples I'm thinking of are Twilight Struggle and 1960: The Making of a President both of which use the card-driven mechanic, 'area-control' etc, without being too Eurogame-ish. Another similar example would be the religious aspect of Here I Stand. Any recommendations for non-war wargame-styled games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I can think of right now is the free print and play Free At Last. From its description:

Quote:
This is a card driven wargame simulating the Civil Rights Movement set in the South in the 1950s and 1960s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fail to see the point. Maybe what you mean with wargame goes along the lines of direct player interaction, competition for strategic objectives and limited resources management; then I'd suggest Pax Britannica, a game in which the threat of war is key to the game but where wars actually rarely happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
A bit of a long shot, but you might check out Credo!: the Game of Dueling Dogmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Smokejumpers, however it is a solo game only. It is a game about fighting forest fires. You have ground and air forces. Have "bombing" runs with water or fire retardant. Build defensive lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Exploration is done in a card driven wargame style, but focuses mostly on resource management against the weather and disease.

2 de Mayo is a Euro-style area control game based on a historical uprising.

Many science fiction space games focus on exploration and empire expansion until their big nasty militaristic fleet meets yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Emery
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Brian Morris has a nice geeklist on this exact topic: Wargames for people who want to play wargames that aren't about war.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/9788
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess by "wargames without war" you're asking for games which portray their subject matter more faithfully than the average eurogame does.

I think the whole 18xx train games would fit the bill.

I would also recommend "In the Shaddow of the Emperor". Yes, it's a euro - but with an uncommonly strong theme. It really does a great job portraying dynastic politics in the late middle-ages.

That reminds me of Blood Royale. Dynastic politics again.

Talking of upcoming games, Jason Matthews is doing FOUNDING FATHERS and there's also a business-CDG in the works called ADOBE, STONE AND STEEL.

Also, 1848, about the German Revolution, might be one to check out.

I think politics is a rich field that has been sorely neglected by designers. I'd love to see more games focussing on em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Long out of print, but Air Baron is a wargame masquerading as a business game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Origins of World War II

This is an old AH game about the international political competition before the outbreak of hostilities. Each country pursues its own unique set of national objectives as they vie for control of specific neutral countries and regions (e.g. the Rhineland), and/or understandings with other player's countries. Each player must play offense to achieve his/her objectives, while defending his/her own holdings from the moves of opponents. Allowing players to negotiate privately with other players before each round makes it even more interesting.

The game probably plays best with the variable national strategies provided. In other words, instead of each country playing for its historical national objectives, players secretly select a strategy from a variety of alternatives offered on the scenario cards (Selection can be random). That way, players can't be certain what the opponents are up to -- unless, of course, the opponent divulges it (Can he/she be trusted?)

It's not a perfect game, but it's simple and multiplayer (best played with at least 4, but 5 is ideal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you are after is consim without the con. It was very popular in the pre Euro days, but now the consim companies only do wargames as you say. Still its out there if you look:

May I humbly suggest you buy everything ever made by Phil Eklund.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/174
or maybe Francis Tresham
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/58
or Alan Ernstein
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/293

or published by TimJim
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/90
or maybe Splotter
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/140

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This newly resurfaced geeklist (Wargames not about war) should give you some ideas:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/9788

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Age of Renaissance" has a point control function which assumes "markets" rather than territory and attempts to west control from your opponents are market competition.

El Grande is about area control with no combat function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barton Campbell
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Divide

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cold War is a personal favorite of mine. However, its biggest stumbling block is that you NEED 4 players to make it work right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.