Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Running
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi All--

Now, I know this isn't really about board games but I need your help and wisdom. I have been looking, for some time, for the ultimate PC computer game RPG that best simulates old D&D games. The trouble I have found is that I am coming up against my own perhaps too rigid criteria for it. I do not like real time games at all, and so want a game where I can spend time thinking about things. I'm also not a huge of fan of pure hack and slash and the sort of monotony that becomes. Finally, I'd like it to be a game that uses a party, not a first person, one hero kind of thing.

Does what I'm looking for even exist?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question and I don't know the answer, but you may want to ask it in the VideoGameGeeks guild (which is free to join!):
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/166
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brym
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
bigfomlof wrote:
Hi All--

Now, I know this isn't really about board games but I need your help and wisdom. I have been looking, for some time, for the ultimate PC computer game RPG that best simulates old D&D games. The trouble I have found is that I am coming up against my own perhaps too rigid criteria for it. I do not like real time games at all, and so want a game where I can spend time thinking about things. I'm also not a huge of fan of pure hack and slash and the sort of monotony that becomes. Finally, I'd like it to be a game that uses a party, not a first person, one hero kind of thing.

Thanks in advance.

It seems that everyone's favorite D&D PC game seems to be either Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment. They have great stories, are party-based, and only semi-real time (you can pause and issue orders at will). They use 2nd Edition rules, as I recall.

For your requirements, though, The Temple of Elemental Evil might be the best choice. It's got a party, it's purely turn-based, and it's considered to be one of the best simulations of the rules. The only downside for you would be that you asked for a simulation of "old" rules, and ToEE uses 3.5. Here's the wikipedia page for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Temple_of_Elemental_Evil_(c...).

I've never played any of these games myself, my only D&D experience is Neverwinter Nights, but that is single-character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend:
Baldur's Gate (I and II)
Icewind Dale
Planescape Torment
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (I && II)

I haven't played too many in the last couple of years, so these recommendations might be a little old. These are heavy on story, and can all be configured to pause during combat after each round, allowing you to give orders one round at a time.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't played SW: KOTOR II.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might and Magic 3, Might and Magic 4, and Might and Magic 5.

Rogue is fun, too, but mostly hack and slash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:

KOTOR I is superior and II is not a continuation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nichols
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
If you're not married to the fantasy setting and the D&D ruleset, but are looking more for the feel of the thing, Fallout 2 might work also.

But you can't go wrong with the standard recommendations of Baldur's Gate (both of them) and Planescape: Torment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:

Icewind Dale

If you like the color white...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:

Baldur's Gate (I and II)
Icewind Dale
Planescape Torment

These games were so great. I'm bummed they stopped making them in this style...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Temple of Elemental Evil

Great computer game that is maybe 8 years old. It uses D&D 3.0 rules. The computer version was made directly from the module.

I really liked it. I played it twice. My wife even played it it was so good.

I can send/trade it to you if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bouncy
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Temple of Elemental Evil game is outstanding...especially for former or current 1st and 2nd edition fans

It is completely faithful to the modules...I even used my old copy of the Village of Homlet as my cheat guide to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
See my post here (and others)

I've included lots of links to modding forums to improve these terrific games. Hey, if graphics are no concern, see if you can't get a copy of Wasteland or Betrayal at Krondor (they are both turn-based, though not D&D). If you're looking for better D&D simulations, I think you're better off going further back than looking at recent games.

KOTOR? Blah, what a hack and slash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey Lasky
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the vein of KOTOR I highly recommend Mass Effect. It's one of the few games I've played through start to finish several times.

You can get it decently priced on Steam (or the Xbox 360 which is where I played it).

Mick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:

Baldur's Gate (I and II)
Icewind Dale
Planescape Torment

Another vote for these (and don't forget ID2). They are all amazing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
I would recommend:
Baldur's Gate (I and II)
Icewind Dale
Planescape Torment
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (I && II)

I haven't played too many in the last couple of years, so these recommendations might be a little old. These are heavy on story, and can all be configured to pause during combat after each round, allowing you to give orders one round at a time.

I would agree with this list KOTOR 1 is the best use of Star Wars license since Empire Strikes back (or Forced Alliance). I will say Kotor 2 is good but the story is a bit blah. I did hear that on pc someone made a hack that unlocked some of the story elements that they took out (due to time and budget) that makes it much better.

I'll also throw in Never Winter Nights 1 or 2. The game's themselves are so so, but with the amount of user created modules for each game they're both pretty good. Heads up NWN2 is a bit of a resource hog
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shannon rampe
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recommendations I've seen on here are pretty solid, especially Baldur's Gate games.

One I have not seen recommended is Neverwinter Nights. NWN is but out by a company called Bioware, a company started by the same people who made Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. While not technically turn-based, you can pause mid-battle and issue orders to your character. NWN is not party-based, but you do get henchmen and can issue them a variety of orders. The original campaign allows one henchman. The expansions allow use of additional henchmen. NWN uses a very solid interpretation of the D&D 3.0 rules. It also looks really good given its age. There is a reasonable amount of hack and slash, but also a great deal of puzzle-solving, exploration, and huge amounts of well-written dialogue. All of your henchmen have a variety of side quests that are very engaging, and the game is highly replayable. There are also two excellent expensions - Shadows of Undrentide (B+) and Hordes of the Underdark (A+). Hordes takes your character into epic levels.

The best thing about Neverwinter Nights is the awesome set of building tools that are included in the game. Since the game came out, there have been a huge number of modders working to produce some incredible content - everything from brand new stories to new monsters, equipment, graphics. Basically anything you can dream of. This supplemental material is all free to download! Some of the fan-made modules are as good as or better than the original NWN campaign.

Neverwinter Nights 2 came out a couple of years ago and this one features some improvements over the original. It plays much like the original, but looks much better. You can have a full party, all of which are controllable. It still uses the pausable real-time combat system. There is also great community support for NWN2. However, the original game has been out much longer, and the modding tools for NWN2 are more complicated, so I think the fan-made content for NWN is better generally than NWN2 (though there are definitely NWN2 modules worth playing). Some people have also complained that the controls for NWN2 were not as intuitive as NWN1, though after getting used to the game, I did not have many problems.

As a bonus, both games feature multi-player and include a DM client. What this means is that a group of players can play through a multiplayer module in-character, with one player able to take on the role of DM. The DM can control all NPCs, trigger events, summon monsters or traps, distribute treasure and XP, just like in a tabletop game. It takes a lot of work to be a good DM (learning to use all the tools on the fly is just as difficult as learning to be a good tabletop DM), but the effect of playing through a DM-run module with real NPC's that will react to whatever you say and with real other players is an incredible experience. There's a whole community of players who focus on this type of game at http://www.neverwinterconnections.com.

Neverwinter Nights - gets my vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Neopeius wrote:
Might and Magic 3, Might and Magic 4, and Might and Magic 5.

These!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Hough
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temple of Elemental Evil. The game's plot sucks and the bugs are really bad, but it gets super close to the 3.5 ruleset with turn based combat. It has a party system, and I feel that the player can make strategic choices with movement and feats which eliminates some of the hack and slash.

You should give it a try. It's definitely not the best game in the world but worth what you'll pay for it. It's also a shame because the Temple of Elemental Evil is such a fun adventure campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
bigfomlof wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Here's an odd one for you:

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords.

It's an interesting melding of Computer RPGs and puzzle games. Customizable characters, spells, big area to explore, attributes, turn based, etc.

You can get it for the PC or the PSP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.