Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Delivery!» Forums » General

Subject: Give us your opinions on the game: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alain Xalabarde
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
I have recently uploaded the game and I've been asking everyone to give it a try and rip it appart. I'd love to hear your commentaries on what you find good and/or bad (specially bad - in order to make it better) about the game.
I'm new at this, and some very helpful people have already told me that I should put up a pdf file with all the components (which now seems very obvious) and a thread (this one). The thread is here, and I'm working on the pdf file (gotta find out how to work it), meanwhile I have uploaded a rar file will all the components).
Thanks a bunch!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Sandersfeld
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
POSITIVES:

As a food lover, I have to love the theme of the game. It's also cool how you kept the theme in the rule book with the headers.

The game itself seems pretty good. It is very luck-based, but there are some important decisions to make with prices and investments, so it's a lightweight, yet not totally brainless, party game.

NEGATIVES:

First, a bit of proofreading -- there are instances in the rule book where you use "dice" instead of "die," and vice versa. Just be careful of that.

Next, while I like the idea of different types of restaurants, nothing is being done with it. Each restaurant should have a unique advantage. For example, the Chinese restaurant could have a permanent +1 speed bonus, Indian can earn a $1 tip on the second delivery roll, American can start with $4 or $5, etc.

Also, why not allow multiple improvement purchases per turn? It allows the opportunity to really clean up on the turn, but also the risk of losing more money if the player doesn't get the order.

A few aesthetic improvements on the restaurants couldn't hurt, either. For one, give each restaurant a name with distinct fonts. Instead of just "Japanese," call it "Sushi Heya" or something. Also, it may help to show improvements to the food as either price or quality increases. For Mexican, go from $1 bean burrito to $2 cheese to $3 beef to $4 chicken to $5 steak. Or to keep it simple, show a picture of a whole pizza on the quality space of the Italian restaurant to show the leap in quality from just a slice normally.

Finally, the new restaurant auction system just seems a little strange. Why not just allow a purchase of a new restaurant when you have enough money? Perhaps each new restaurant could cost a little more than the last. Also, maybe each new restaurant adds upkeep costs, which adds to the decision-making.

Of course, these are just my suggestions. It's your game, after all. Keep working on it, though. It's a good idea.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tejayes wrote:
Next, while I like the idea of different types of restaurants, nothing is being done with it. Each restaurant should have a unique advantage. For example, the Chinese restaurant could have a permanent +1 speed bonus, Indian can earn a $1 tip on the second delivery roll, American can start with $4 or $5, etc.
Agreed.

Tejayes wrote:
A few aesthetic improvements on the restaurants couldn't hurt, either. For one, give each restaurant a name with distinct fonts. Instead of just "Japanese," call it "Sushi Heya" or something. Also, it may help to show improvements to the food as either price or quality increases. For Mexican, go from $1 bean burrito to $2 cheese to $3 beef to $4 chicken to $5 steak. Or to keep it simple, show a picture of a whole pizza on the quality space of the Italian restaurant to show the leap in quality from just a slice normally.
I can't stress enough how much the mats for the restaurants NEED to be in the form of a place mat!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Xalabarde
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Tejayes wrote:
POSITIVES:

As a food lover, I have to love the theme of the game. It's also cool how you kept the theme in the rule book with the headers.

The game itself seems pretty good. It is very luck-based, but there are some important decisions to make with prices and investments, so it's a lightweight, yet not totally brainless, party game.

NEGATIVES:

First, a bit of proofreading -- there are instances in the rule book where you use "dice" instead of "die," and vice versa. Just be careful of that.

Next, while I like the idea of different types of restaurants, nothing is being done with it. Each restaurant should have a unique advantage. For example, the Chinese restaurant could have a permanent +1 speed bonus, Indian can earn a $1 tip on the second delivery roll, American can start with $4 or $5, etc.

Also, why not allow multiple improvement purchases per turn? It allows the opportunity to really clean up on the turn, but also the risk of losing more money if the player doesn't get the order.

A few aesthetic improvements on the restaurants couldn't hurt, either. For one, give each restaurant a name with distinct fonts. Instead of just "Japanese," call it "Sushi Heya" or something. Also, it may help to show improvements to the food as either price or quality increases. For Mexican, go from $1 bean burrito to $2 cheese to $3 beef to $4 chicken to $5 steak. Or to keep it simple, show a picture of a whole pizza on the quality space of the Italian restaurant to show the leap in quality from just a slice normally.

Finally, the new restaurant auction system just seems a little strange. Why not just allow a purchase of a new restaurant when you have enough money? Perhaps each new restaurant could cost a little more than the last. Also, maybe each new restaurant adds upkeep costs, which adds to the decision-making.

Of course, these are just my suggestions. It's your game, after all. Keep working on it, though. It's a good idea.


Thank you so much for taking your time with this. It really helps. I thought about some of the ideas you mentioned and it's good to find that people would appreciate that. You also mentioned some things which I hadn't thought of. I will test the game with new additions to the rules and play around with it.
My two main concerns is not being able to invest more than $1, but I noticed that if there is no limit players without cash cannot compete against players with cash, but I think maybe simply raising the minimum t 2 or 3 would make a difference. Also maybe starting the game with more dough.
The second concern is the new restaurants. I thought about being able to buy the immediately, but the problem is that a lot of times only one player has a lot of money and the rest don't. What I could do is raise the price of a restaurant if not on auction, for example. (Oh, I like the idea about the up-keep).
There are a lot of little things that I want to try, since the theme gives you a lot of possibilities.
Finally, about the art, I wish I could have it look 'prettier', but I did this because I read somewhere that game companies were interested in designing the art themselves and didn't like it when the designers spent too much time of the graphics. I do a lot of graphic designed and it really troubled me to keep it simple. Maybe I'll re-design the artwork in the future with some cooler stuff.

Thanks again. Really appreciate the feedback.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Xalabarde
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Tejayes wrote:
Next, while I like the idea of different types of restaurants, nothing is being done with it. Each restaurant should have a unique advantage. For example, the Chinese restaurant could have a permanent +1 speed bonus, Indian can earn a $1 tip on the second delivery roll, American can start with $4 or $5, etc.
Agreed.

Tejayes wrote:
A few aesthetic improvements on the restaurants couldn't hurt, either. For one, give each restaurant a name with distinct fonts. Instead of just "Japanese," call it "Sushi Heya" or something. Also, it may help to show improvements to the food as either price or quality increases. For Mexican, go from $1 bean burrito to $2 cheese to $3 beef to $4 chicken to $5 steak. Or to keep it simple, show a picture of a whole pizza on the quality space of the Italian restaurant to show the leap in quality from just a slice normally.
I can't stress enough how much the mats for the restaurants NEED to be in the form of a place mat!


What do you mean with the form of the place mats?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion:

I feel there are too many dice rolls, starting from Meal Amount In Order to Delivery of Order.

How's about the players should have 4 dice - 2 in one color, 1 in second color and 1 in third color

e.g. 2 1D6 White, 1 1D6 Green , 1 1D6 Red

Green = Meal Amount In Order
Red = Publicity Roll
2 White = Distance Of Order

Just after the Investments phase, one player (last round winner?) rolls all these 4 dice to determine all the coming ordering info, then next to determine who player Pick Up Order. This simplifies the steps.

Also, it's kind of lack of interaction b/w the players. How's about

1. changing those restaurant investments/improvements to be the worker types

i.e. Quality = Iron Chef
Speed = Speedy Driver
Publicity = a. Food magazine reporter
b. Radio restaurant commenter
c. TV food channel director
(or what else names they fit)

Of course, we can always create more new "workers" with different abilities.

e.g.
a. Politician - may request to re-roll the Publicity die (Politician controls the media)
b. City worker - may request to re-roll any Distance dice (road construction), regardless he/she wins the pickup or not
c. Police - may request to re-roll one delivery die (once) - (giving speeding ticket or cleaning the way), regardless he/she wins the pickup or not
d. Mommy - may request to re-roll the Meal amount die (as mommy is in control of how many orders for the party ) , regardless he/she wins the pickup or not
e. Chef assistance (or called it waiter/waitress) - can produce extra 1/3 of meal amount in addition to the die result. With this worker the extra meal can be used in the current round (earn more $) if wins the pickup and gets it delivered, or carried extra food (use different tokens to represent these) over into the next round (1 round only) if cannot pick up the order - food stored in the fridge. Food is picked up but failed to deliver, cannot be stored.

* a,b, c, d can re-roll once at any point before delivery, and only c can modify (change it better or worse) while delivery

2. Making one set of these "workers" as a public pool (i.e. job market)

3. Each round the player takes turn to pay $1 (? or more, depended on the ability?) to HIRE one "worker", and he/she will keep the hired "worker" for this round, to yield a better chance to pickup/deliver successfully. Once the round is done all the "workers" must be released (layoff? end contract?) back to the job market.

For 2P games, each player may pick up max up to 3 workers, 3P or more, max up to 2 workers.

By the end of the round those workers are not hired, the government (bank) places $1 on it to help them get the job in next round.(stealing this idea from Puerto Rico )

4. (OPT) Instead of giving each player their mats, make a big mat including all restaurants (in different sides/corners of the big mat). Also, removes investment area if we are using HIRE worker mechanism.

This makes the game be more competitive to get the good "workers", like Puerto Rico, though it slightly shifts the game focus.

I see this game has great potential (and I like this restaurant theme), let's fix it and get it on the table!

Any comments?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yarasmodai wrote:
What do you mean with the form of the place mats?
Like these:


Like the old-style place mats you would find at every Denny's and little family diner in America. The trick will be making them feel like a place mat without them being too busy and non-functional.

I may work up an idea or two and post them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Xalabarde
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Yarasmodai wrote:
What do you mean with the form of the place mats?
Like these:


Like the old-style place mats you would find at every Denny's and little family diner in America. The trick will be making them feel like a place mat without them being too busy and non-functional.

I may work up an idea or two and post them.


Oh! I see what you mean. That's pretty cool.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Xalabarde
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
My suggestion:

I feel there are too many dice rolls, starting from Meal Amount In Order to Delivery of Order.

How's about the players should have 4 dice - 2 in one color, 1 in second color and 1 in third color

e.g. 2 1D6 White, 1 1D6 Green , 1 1D6 Red

Green = Meal Amount In Order
Red = Publicity Roll
2 White = Distance Of Order

Just after the Investments phase, one player (last round winner?) rolls all these 4 dice to determine all the coming ordering info, then next to determine who player Pick Up Order. This simplifies the steps.

Also, it's kind of lack of interaction b/w the players. How's about

1. changing those restaurant investments/improvements to be the worker types

i.e. Quality = Iron Chef
Speed = Speedy Driver
Publicity = a. Food magazine reporter
b. Radio restaurant commenter
c. TV food channel director
(or what else names they fit)

Of course, we can always create more new "workers" with different abilities.

e.g.
a. Politician - may request to re-roll the Publicity die (Politician controls the media)
b. City worker - may request to re-roll any Distance dice (road construction), regardless he/she wins the pickup or not
c. Police - may request to re-roll one delivery die (once) - (giving speeding ticket or cleaning the way), regardless he/she wins the pickup or not
d. Mommy - may request to re-roll the Meal amount die (as mommy is in control of how many orders for the party :) ) , regardless he/she wins the pickup or not
e. Chef assistance (or called it waiter/waitress) - can produce extra 1/3 of meal amount in addition to the die result. With this worker the extra meal can be used in the current round (earn more $) if wins the pickup and gets it delivered, or carried extra food (use different tokens to represent these) over into the next round (1 round only) if cannot pick up the order - food stored in the fridge. Food is picked up but failed to deliver, cannot be stored.

* a,b, c, d can re-roll once at any point before delivery, and only c can modify (change it better or worse) while delivery

2. Making one set of these "workers" as a public pool (i.e. job market)

3. Each round the player takes turn to pay $1 (? or more, depended on the ability?) to HIRE one "worker", and he/she will keep the hired "worker" for this round, to yield a better chance to pickup/deliver successfully. Once the round is done all the "workers" must be released (layoff? end contract?) back to the job market.

For 2P games, each player may pick up max up to 3 workers, 3P or more, max up to 2 workers.

By the end of the round those workers are not hired, the government (bank) places $1 on it to help them get the job in next round.(stealing this idea from Puerto Rico :D )

4. (OPT) Instead of giving each player their mats, make a big mat including all restaurants (in different sides/corners of the big mat). Also, removes investment area if we are using HIRE worker mechanism.

This makes the game be more competitive to get the good "workers", like Puerto Rico, though it slightly shifts the game focus.

I see this game has great potential (and I like this restaurant theme), let's fix it and get it on the table!

Any comments?


It funny you mention the different color dice, because I've always used different colors for the different stages but never did it at the same time. Could be interesting to try it that way. It definitely makes it faster and less complicated, I just have to make sure it still keeps the tension (since doing it slowly usually makes you a little more nervous - not knowing what's next).

I really like the worker mechanism. But it is true that it may take the attention from the main subject. But if you use it like different 'upgrades' instead of workers, it may work quite nicely. As in, different cards with different effects (An Iron Chef gives you quiality, a advert on a local TV station gives you publicity (+1), or a more expensive advert on a national TV station (+2), a motorbike gives you faster delivery) that have an initial cost and a maintenance cost. You would be able to choose up to 3 different cards and may substitute them (or even steal them from other players). So you could mix them to whatever combination suits you.

I'm going to play around with the concept. It adds quite a few more components and changes the mechanism slightly, but it's definitely worth a try.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep having interaction/gameplay strategy in mind when working on the design

Without it, it will only be roll-the-dice solitaire multi-player game (except the bidding part)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Mallory
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bump::

Any Development updates for this?? food themed PnP sounds like it could be a good addition to my collection, and from what I've seen here so far, it's looking interesting...

I'll keep my fingers crossed (but not hold my breath) for an update, while I grab the available files and associated text above for potential use...

I'll look forward to seeing a note here regarding any updates...

- Garfield227
( really should sit down and update my games lists and wish lists... can anyone point me in the correct direction for a new secret santa drawing? even if it won't be for 6 months (July2011) it might give me time to produce something interesting)

Thanks in advance folks... may your game bits never grow moss...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.