United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

(Apologies, the link didn't work well. The link text is below.)

Duel of Ages reaches a landmark

I had an opportunity to play a Duel of Ages game last night with three good friends. The highlights:

1. 6 characters per team, three platters, 4.5 hours.

2. TIAX mercilessly hunted down and killed Seveneyes on turn 2.

3. Cayriss later avenged Seveneyes by planting Excalibur in TIAX's chest.

4. When all seemed lost for Team White, they completed Lith Alliance, getting Leo Penny in the HQ where six cards happened to be in the vault. Leo grabbed three, gambled, won, and came out of the team base with seven cards.

5. The Martians "accidentally" blundered into Leo, who attempted to shoot the Martians. The Martians surprised Leo with the Charm Cube, but failed the charm, and were immediately shot dead for their efforts.

6. An epic battle between Princess Sunglow and Muffin occurred for half the game, resulting in much bloodshed but no deaths.

7. 72 equipment cards entered the game. Deaths came at regular intervals.

8. Dancing occurred, but we won't go into that.

Personally, Duel of Ages has been a very satisfying experience. This month Venatic reached the 30,000 mark in total games sold. Inventory is now less than 200 games per set. Due to manufacturing circumstances, a second run is not possible without starting the process over, with all of its costs, and under the current economy that is not feasible.

When we produced the original seven sets, we planned for an eighth "wrap up" set (the Masters Addendum) to tie everything up one year later, and vowed not to expand afterward. The game sold well enough that we started to break our vow, but circumstances intervened as we turned out attention to our software company.

I am grateful that we did not continue the expansion slide. Duel of Ages needs nothing new. While Venatic continues development in other directions (in the limited time available), the company intends to play out the current economic times without new releases. We'll see you on the other side. Until then, just play and enjoy.

Brett Murrell
Venatic Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome!

Thank YOU for a fantastic and always entertaining game.

It was DoA that earned me the reputation of always getting imprisoned, no matter what game I play.

It was DoA the made me learn to hook my fingers and hiss, my best imitation of the Bladed Terror.

It was DoA that was the first 10 player game we ever played with our church Youth Group.

It was DoA combined with some hot tea that brought about a ban on all drinks at the gaming table! laugh

It is DoA that is always a sure bet for a good story, a lot of laughs, and some seriously wild adventures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report!! Thank you so much for this gem of a game.

DOA is one of two games I rate at 9+. My #1 favorite game of about 1300 currently in my collection. The only reason I did not give it a 10 is the components. Needs larger hexes and counters or even miniatures. Then it would be a 10 for me. DOA is my favorite game although I don't get to play it very often. I've upgraded the counters with foam tessel tiles.

Fast, fun, exciting tactical game with some role-playing elements, some wargaming mechanics, some CCG-like aspects and even cooperative-game elements not to mention a host of other very cool "stuff."

When you combine all that with infinite replayability,many interesting decisions each turn and just plain old FUN it is no suprise that this is my favorite game EVAR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byl Kravetz
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one of my, and my game group's, favorites. Thanks for bringing this game to the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kenderdine
United States
Feasterville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoA is my favorite game of all time, I wish I could get it to the table more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Steiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pull this one out not as regularly as I want to, but when I do I never regret it. Fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.