Popular Tags: [View All]
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say "If your board is full at the beginning of your turn, you lose a Qi and don't draw a new ghost."

So what if I have 2 ghosts at the beginning of the turn, roll a curse die as part of the ghosts' actions and have to introduce a third ghost on my board? My board wasn't full at the beginning of my turn, but it was full when I had to check for overrun.

It seems like it should read "If you have three ghosts when you check for overrun" but it says "at the beginning of your turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[edit] I agree with Ogrim (below)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Klein
Germany
Schoenaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just take a look at the drawing at the end of the rule book, then it gets very clear: You lose 1 Qi and draw no ghosts if you have three ghosts when you check for overrun. Additional ghosts from Tormentors come before you check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Sparks
United States
Garden City
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty much what I think but I think they need to clarify their clarification The text is a little misleading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Mosley
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This confused me as well, but I found an example on page 4/5 that covers this very question.

The phases are:
Step 1: Ghost actions
Step 2: Board Overrun?
Step 3: Arrival of new Ghost

If, in step 3, you place a third ghost on your board, you do not lose a Qi since Qi loss do to board being overrun happens in step 2 (which is already past).

Therefore, you have until step 2 of your next turn to clear a space on your board or you will take the Qi hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rockhpi wrote:
That's pretty much what I think but I think they need to clarify their clarification The text is a little misleading.

I had a similar situation happen last night, and had to scour this forum to find the answer. Just now I checked the French rules and found that there would have been no question if they had translated it correctly. Neither the French nor German rules say "at the begining of his turn" under Yin Phase Step 2. It simply says (rough translation):

Quote:
Step 2. Board overrun?
If the three locations of the board are occupied by ghosts, the player loses 1 Qi and does not perform step 3 (he does not add a ghost and goes directly to the Yang Phase).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.