Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bart Elison
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately I have been craving something that would remind me a bit of the Civ games from the glory days of turn based strategy on the PC. I actually played a game of Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization a few weeks back and I enjoyed it but I don't think I would have an easy time getting the people I know to play this with me, as well as the cost is pretty high (usually around $70 or more), and all the little cubes you have to maintain seemed a little fiddly. I also played Advanced Civilization which is very hard to find a copy of these days, but very enjoyable. Does anyone have any recommendations for other civ style games that they have liked that are both accessible and obtainable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 vote for Sid Meier's Style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
La Città
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Korreck
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. The game designers need to get cracking on a Sid-style civ. Eagle Games has a version based on Sid's Civ. But, I'd like to see a version closer to the PC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pocket Civ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Elison
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pocket civ looks cool but its only a solitaire game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenicia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Elison
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenicia is a fine game. The thing it really lacks though to be a "civ" style, at least to me, is a map. Also it seems to suffer from a situation where if you get one good deal at the beginning of the game you tend to run away with it. I've been playing a lot of this online and have noticed this pattern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinci. Lighter than Civ or Advanced Civ, but thematically similar and reminiscent. I especially like the civilization decline mechanic -- you extend your civilization as far as you can, then put it into decline and start a new one.

There's also Small World, which is coming out Real Soon Now. From all I've read of it, it's largely the same game as Vinci, with some modifications and a fantasy theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aram Schvey
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to Vinci is History of the World, which has a bit more chrome and tracks the rise and fall of real empires. I have not played it myself, by I believe Antike might also fall into that niche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bartimus95 wrote:
Phoenicia is a fine game. The thing it really lacks though to be a "civ" style, at least to me, is a map.

TtA also doesn't have a map, so it isn't a "civ" game? Not sure what other type they would be considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaka Winada
United States
Stornhelm
Rivenspire
flag msg tools
badge
Golux13 wrote:
Vinci. Lighter than Civ or Advanced Civ, but thematically similar and reminiscent. I especially like the civilization decline mechanic -- you extend your civilization as far as you can, then put it into decline and start a new one.

I disagree that Vinci is reminiscent of Civ or Advanced Civ, it is an empire building game not a civilization building game. In Vinci all you can do is manuver and fight to gain territory for VPs, there is no way to improve the civilization you choose to lead. I find Vinci to be a lighter and thematically similar version of Barbarian, Kingdom & Empire, not a civ game. That said, if the OP is looking for a light empire building game with lots of replayability then try Vinci, it is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
bartimus95 wrote:
Pocket civ looks cool but its only a solitaire game?

Only? That's a feature! It means you can play it anytime, anyplace, without having to talk anyone else into playing.

But FYI, it comes with a 2-player variant.

To tell the truth, I haven't played it yet myself. Just read some of the reviews and took a look at the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.