Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Ebay and ripoff buyers. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bad_deals [+] [View All]
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I was hoping somebody with eBay selling experience might be able to help me. I recently sold a game on eBay. The seller claimed that it came with the incorrect tokens. So, I offered them the option to return it, mainly because I couldn't clearly remember if it came with the incorrect tokens. Now, they have returned it, but the tokens they returned it with were obviously swapped. I know this because had I seen them before I sent it, I would have known they were bad. There's just no chance I wouldn't have noticed.

Is there anything I can do? Or is PayPal going to force a refund (i.e. I'm screwed)?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the new "improved" (and continuing to get worse) "Screw the Seller!" ebay.

It's why I haven't sold anything via ebay on either my personal or business account in a long time.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
Welcome to the new "improved" "Screw the Seller!" ebay.


Dammit! I knew it. Dammit!! It just sucks. I guess I'll have to go to Craigslist henceforth and take the corresponding loss. Of course, I'm going to make the buyer issue a dispute. Make 'em work for it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, welcome to why I don't sell on ebay anymore. AT least not with PayEnemy..
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Dreadnaut wrote:
keethrax wrote:
Welcome to the new "improved" "Screw the Seller!" ebay.


Dammit! I knew it. Dammit!! It just sucks. I guess I'll have to go to Craigslist henceforth and take the corresponding loss. Of course, I'm going to make the buyer issue a dispute. Make 'em work for it.


You can also use the BGG Marketplace as an alternative. Not as streamlined as EBay, but works well nevertheless.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
Dreadnaut wrote:
keethrax wrote:
Welcome to the new "improved" "Screw the Seller!" ebay.


Dammit! I knew it. Dammit!! It just sucks. I guess I'll have to go to Craigslist henceforth and take the corresponding loss. Of course, I'm going to make the buyer issue a dispute. Make 'em work for it.


You can also use the BGG Marketplace as an alternative. Not as streamlined as EBay, but works well nevertheless.


Yeah. I'm starting to use that as well. I'm just so annoyed. Every once in a while I forget that there are assholes out there specifically trying to rip people off. Of course, the world is waiting to remind me shortly thereafter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadnaut wrote:
Hi all,

I was hoping somebody with eBay selling experience might be able to help me. I recently sold a game on eBay. The seller claimed that it came with the incorrect tokens. So, I offered them the option to return it, mainly because I couldn't clearly remember if it came with the incorrect tokens. Now, they have returned it, but the tokens they returned it with were obviously swapped. I know this because had I seen them before I sent it, I would have known they were bad. There's just no chance I wouldn't have noticed.

Is there anything I can do? Or is PayPal going to force a refund (i.e. I'm screwed)?

Did you take pics of the contents?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If they returned the game with different tokens, how do they benefit? Where the tokens of value by themselves?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I didn't take pics of the interior (now I wish I had). I had bought it sealed and just did a cursory check of the insides (which made me doubt, at first, if I was wrong). But seeing the return alleviated any doubt, because there was no way I would have made the error.

As to if the tokens themselves have value? I don't know. I wouldn't think so, but maybe a bit. That's why I thought this person was on the up-and-up. Because who does that? Evidently, people do.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They may have lost those specific tokens in a copy of the game that they already own and thought that this would be an easy way to get replacements.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wwscrispin wrote:
If they returned the game with different tokens, how do they benefit? Where the tokens of value by themselves?


If they were Agricola animeeples vs. cubes, there's that possibility. This is purely conjecture, since I don't know what game is being discussed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had any problems buying/selling items on eBay.

I've quit using it for selling because the fees have gotten so bad that any profit I make disappears. Buying stuff is the same; by the time you add shipping it's not worth it. There are a few sellers that don't overcharge on shipping.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Komodo wrote:
They may have lost those specific tokens in a copy of the game that they already own and thought that this would be an easy way to get replacements.


I think Chuck's got it right.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Yeah, welcome to why I don't sell on ebay anymore. AT least not with PayEnemy..


What's are the issues with Ebay and PayPal? I'm pretty much a n00b here, but I had no troubles with either. How are people being screwed?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Harris
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My response to this kind of BS is taking a whole ton of pictures. I take the pictures, include them on the list with the phrase, "If it's not in the pictures, it's not included." I also like to tack on phrases like, "I believe this to be complete."

Now this might make me sound like a crook, but it helps prevent me from being worked over. I actually have near flawless feedback and have yet to be burned this manner.

I can't offer much advice for what to do with this specific situation, but in the future... Document like crazy. If all else fails, "As is" works wonders.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
wwscrispin wrote:
If they returned the game with different tokens, how do they benefit? Where the tokens of value by themselves?


If they were Agricola animeeples vs. cubes, there's that possibility. This is purely conjecture, since I don't know what game is being discussed.


That's a good guess. But, weirdly enough, it was a copy of Monopoly: Alaska's Iditarod edition. They (for whatever reason), are claiming that it didn't come with the correct tokens, but I know what they returned they swapped.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dizzy2D wrote:
My response to this kind of BS is taking a whole ton of pictures. I take the pictures, include them on the list with the phrase, "If it's not in the pictures, it's not included." I also like to tack on phrases like, "I believe this to be complete."

Now this might make me sound like a crook, but it helps prevent me from being worked over. I actually have near flawless feedback and have yet to be burned this manner.

I can't offer much advice for what to do with this specific situation, but in the future... Document like crazy. If all else fails, "As is" works wonders.


Yeah. That's what I will do in the future. Good points. I just don't sell that often. Now I know. It will be a semi-expensive lesson.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
beckerdo wrote:
What's are the issues with Ebay and PayPal? I'm pretty much a n00b here, but I had no troubles with either. How are people being screwed?
If you have a day or two of free time, just type "Why Ebay Sucks" into any search engine and begin reading.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"As is."
"No returns."

Problem solved. You'll scare off some buyers, but you'll sell it somehow.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Checkout www.Kijiji.com as well. Its a craigslist clone. Free to post and buy. You can pay to "upgrade" ads but you don't need to.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BigD145 wrote:
"As is."
"No returns."

Problem solved. You'll scare off some buyers, but you'll sell it somehow.


But does that really work? What would stop a seller from sending out something different than advertised? I think a buyer still could file a PayPal dispute.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
What was the game?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3288871#3288871
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Dreadnaut wrote:
Is there anything I can do?

Can't wait to see the look on your face when you get to leave feedback about all this, and realize all sellers are allowed to do, is leave positive feedback about buyers, regardless. Welcome to the new and improved eBay indeed.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are screwed. I always take pictures of the contents but that won't help either. The ONLY advantage eBay gives you as a seller is that you know you will get paid but then you are at the mercy of the buyer. eBay is the only place I know of that the motto is Let the Seller Beware!. Best to post your items "as is" and "No returns". On the plus side, the vast majority of buyers are honest but it only takes getting screwed once to put a sour taste in your mouth.....
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.