Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Belgium
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Covey of the Three Hags.

Team Evil (3)
Team Evil wins when they reach parity with Team Good.
Team Evil wins when they succesfully convert the Innocent Girl into a Hag.

The Hags:
The Night Hag:
She begins play with the Tooth. View results on the Night Hag will be negative until all her sisters are dead. This includes a possible converted Hag, if existant.
Just take care that this doesn't come back to bite you in the arse!

The Sea Hag:
She begins play with the Eye. She gets a negative N0 view of her choice.
"See: Hag! I told you! Naked young ladies don't just wash up on the beach like that!" Scavenging fisherman's famous last words.

The Green Hag:
She begins play with the Cauldron and the juicy heart of her recent N0 kill.
Still a bit green behind the ears, her sisters have put her on cooking duty. Too bad she's a vegetarian.

The Hags share a permanent chatroom.
Each night, a Hag can choose to pass any number of items to either of her sisters and use one of the items she currently holds.

Items:
The Tooth:
This item allows a Hag to pick any player for the NK. Using her foul magic talents, the Hag masquerades as an alluring young adult, seduces her target, takes him/her back to her shack and slowly starts nibbling upwards, all night long. Hags can use these hapless targets as a component for their dark brews. The heart of each NK target can be stored in a jar for later use. These hearts do not count as items, cannot be lost through death and are common property of all Hags.
Hitting a Tough target with the Tooth does not affect the item in any way. The attack occurs as normal, resulting in the target losing their Tough and not dying.
Extra vicious, yellowed and rotten to the core!

The Eye:
The Eye can be used to catch a glimpse of the true nature of a person. The Hag using this item chooses a role from "Oracle", "Priest", "Villager", or "The Innocent Girl" and targets 2 non-Hag players to view. If the selected role is true for at least 1 of both targets, the vision returns "Truth", otherwise the results yields a "False". Regardless of the outcome, the viewing Hag gains a glimpse of the whereabouts of her chosen targets. (see Villager)
Although very potent, years of grime and dirt have clouded the vision of the Eye somewhat, making its views not as accurate as they used to be.
"Watch out for that - *thunk* - ..tree!"

The Black Cauldron:
The black cauldron allows a Hag to concoct an assortment of foul brews which she can store in a vial for later use. Apart from the standard eye of newt, each brew requires components that are more difficult to come by, namely a pair (2) of juicy Good hearts.
"And this time, there's no assistant-pig-keeper around to save the day!."

Foul Brews:
A brew will grant the user its benefits immediately. Brews can only be created by a Hag, though anyone can consume them.
- Serpent's Blood Potion: Causes the user's blood to become a lethal venom. When being lynched, one of the victim's voters is poisoned. (Gains Brutal vs Voter)
- Essence of Toad: Causes the user's skin to become extra slimy, warty and strong. Guarantees survival of the first lynch or NK attempt. (Gains Tough)
- Eye of Newt Elixir: Allows the user to view any player and learn his role, his status (Normal, Shielded, Tough, Brutal) and his held items.

Rituals:
Performing a ritual requires full concentration for an entire night (forcing the Hags to forgo all other actions) and will leave the Hags weakened for the next 24 hours. During this period, any Tough or Brutal traits will not function and their votes have no value.
- Ritual of Summoning: Allows the Hags to summon the Eye or the Tooth to them if lost. Each summoning requires a new ritual.
- Ritual of Corruption: If the Innocent Girl's role is known to the Hags, all (remaining) Hags can opt to forgo their night actions and transform the Innocent Girl, through a series of foul rituals, into a Hag herself. The newly formed Hag will be added to the shared chatroom at the next moonrise. She can make use of any item just like another Hag would. This ritual requires all 3 items (The Eye, The Tooth and The Cauldron) to be in the possession of the Hags.

A lynched Hag will lose all items she currently holds. These items will be randomly divided between all her voters.
When killed by a player's Brutal, items are distributed randomly between all remaining players, regardless of their alignment.

Team Good (12)
Team Good wins when they have killed all the Hags.
The Villagers can score an additional victory when they get hold of The Eye, The Tooth and The Black Cauldron before the last Hag is dead.

The Village Elder: Tough. Martyr. Each night, can choose to shield a player from getting killed. The Village Elder takes the hit instead. He cannot select the same player twice in a row. He cannot shield the Innocent Girl from being transformed.
He's been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and survived the previous generation of hags. Hell, he's even married to one, so really, how bad could it be?

The Witch Hunter: Hunter (parity). If he remains with a single Hag, kills her and wins.
He has a thing for old bats. Preferably toothless. Odd fella.

The Oracle: Seer. Views for Hags each night. Result is Hag/not Hag.
Although looking for a new job, she's keeping up the good work while her supply of fortune cookies lasts. Rumor has it the batteries for her viewing crystal were running low as well.

The Priest: Priest. Role reveal on lynch when alive.
"Blessed be, my child. And join me in my private room for your confession."

The Innocent Girl: Not self-aware. Tinker.
She's taking a basket with freshly baked cookies to her one-toothed, half-blind grandma.

The Not So Innocent Girl: Not self-aware. Tinker. Viewed as the Innocent Girl by a Hag.
Good or bad half of the twin? The correct answer is both. And between you and me, I bet she's no stranger to the confessional chair either.

Villager (6): Normal villager.
However, these villagers aren't going to let Evil get away with it so easy this time! These villagers are inspired by the courage of their ancestral hero Javalus Maximus. Each night, a brave villager can choose to grab a torch and trusty pitchfork, forsake the safety of his home and go out in search of Evil! A villager has a base chance of 20% to discover the Hags' hideout and steal an item from their cache before the wicked creatures return from their foul, nocturnal activities. For each additional villager that joins them in their search, a 10% bonus is added to their chance of finding the lair of the Covey. However, if one of the villagers in the searchparty gets viewed that night, the Hags know they are coming and can prepare for their arrival.
At that point, The Hags have 2 options:
- They can either kill a random villager from that searchparty that night, in addition to the NK target. No items will be stolen from their cache that night and the remaining villagers hurry home, nearly wetting their pants for barely escaping with their lives.
- They can hide themselves and learn the identity of one of the villagers participating in the raid. The villagers will find no items, as the Hags have already hidden these before the arrival of the searchparty. The villagers return home empty-handed.
Sweet, sweet succulent meat! With chilled peasant-brain for dessert!

Items belonging to a target killed at night are distributed among the Hags, at their discretion. Items belonging to a lynch target are randomly distributed among the victim's voters.
When a player gets killed by another player's Brutal, items are distributed randomly between all remaining players, regardless of their alignment.

General Info:

Game details:
- 15 Players. 3 wolves, possibly 1 conversion
- Starts when full
- Difficulty: Low (to Medium?).
- This is my first game as a moderator. Go easy and feel free to point out my mistakes.
- Tie-breaker method: Longest Held Last Vote (LHLV).
- No role reveal on lynch.
- Role reveal on night kill for Team Evil.
- Inactive players will end up replaced if possible!
- Attempts at semi-funny flavour must be endured.

Night Action Order list:
- The Oracle views a player.
- The Villager Elder shields a player.
- One or more Villager(s) go out on a searchparty.
- Any player passes any number of items to any number of other players.
- Any player uses any Potion
- A Hag gets a view through use of the Eye.
- A Hag gets a kill through use of the Tooth.
- A Hag brews a potion through use of the Black Cauldron.
- Role reveal of the killed player, if any.
- A Hag who killed a Good player collects a juicy Good heart from her kill.
- Items held by the night kill target are randomly distributed between the Hags. The same occurs with items held by the killed villager that was part of a discovered searchparty.

All actions above are resolved at Dawn, unless specifically stated otherwise. Conditional and proxy night orders are allowed. All orders must be bolded to be valid.

Timing:
Deadlines are open for discussion.
- Dusk at 3 or 4 PM BGG (if I'm late, votes with timestamp x:01 and later do not count).
- Dawn at 2 AM BGG (if I'm late, actions with timestamp y:01 and later do not count).
- Will not run over the weekend.

----------------------------------
Edit1: Clarified use of "The Eye".
Edit2: Clarified several items and abilities. Added an extra option for the villagers to steal an item. At the same time, an extra chance for the Hags to obtain a heart.
Edit3: Clarified rules on items regarding lynch/kill. Clarified Night Action Order. Extended the period between Dusk and Dawn. Deadlines are still open for discussion.
Edit4: Added an extra victory condition for the Hags. Adjusted the penalty for a villager getting caught while on a raid to balance out with the new VC. Removed the possibility to reset the Tough-trait on the Village Elder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Covey of Hags
Placeholder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alrighty. Looks like this is going to be my first game as a Moderator! I'm thrilled! If this works out alright, expect to see a lot more from me in the (near) future.

Anyway, I wanted to ask all you experienced golden oldies to review the ruleset and post your remarks here before I actually launch this game.

Any response is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Room for one more
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Add a game to the cassie list and then attatch this thread to it so that we can sign up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The Computer is your Friend
mb
Kaldar wrote:
Add a game to the cassie list and then attatch this thread to it so that we can sign up.

Khellendros wrote:
Anyway, I wanted to ask all you experienced golden oldies to review the ruleset and post your remarks here before I actually launch this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Room for one more
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheSparky wrote:
Kaldar wrote:

Khellendros wrote:

You actually expect me to read things? Screw that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Room for one more
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
3 versus 12 seems weak evil to me. In most 15 players, there are about 5 evils, usually a couple of auxes making up those 5.

Also, the eye needs to be clarified; most mods add in the clause "You cannot view a hag" when throwing in half-seer powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaldar wrote:
3 versus 12 seems weak evil to me. In most 15 players, there are about 5 evils, usually a couple of auxes making up those 5.

Also, the eye needs to be clarified; most mods add in the clause "You cannot view a hag" when throwing in half-seer powers.

I dunno, the potions they can brew sort of help. Do they have to have 2 total kills or 2 kills per potion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
PS, I like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Room for one more
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Valkerie32 wrote:
Kaldar wrote:

I dunno, the potions they can brew sort of help. Do they have to have 2 total kills or 2 kills per potion?

I read it as 2 hearts per potion.

The potions are just too slow to make the difference, especially with the rituals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Morphine
msg tools
mb
Khellendros wrote:

- No flavour, sorry.

surprise So you just use the cool flavour in the rules post to lure in players and then deny it once they've joined up? That's... that's... that's mean! cry :TheBannister: cry

Let me cover up by quickly posting a LOLhag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally, the potions only required 1 heart (so 1 succesful NK) per potion to make. However, I thought that would quickly cause ALL the Hags to be near-permanently Tough and/or Brutal. I felt that was over the top for evil, so I increased the cost.

Also, there is a (small) chance at a conversion, which could make it 4 evils. Would it help if I increased the chances of that happening?

The Rituals are there to give Evil a chance at correcting a screw-up or an unlucky hit, albeit at a steep cost. Because of their nature, I wanted to hint Good that something nasty was going on by not giving the Hags a Night Kill at that point.

But perhaps they are indeed to weak with just the 3 of them...
If I were to add a Sorcerer-type of Evil (removing a villager), would that make things more balanced? I would like to stay true to the concept, so there can only be 3 max evils.

Thanks for the input so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidenkinderen wrote:

surprise So you just use the cool flavour in the rules post to lure in players and then deny it once they've joined up?

Well ok, just for you David, I might be persuaded into giving it a shot flavour-wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or I could scratch 2 to 4 villagers for balance, making it a 13 or 11 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
This looks fun! I'd love to sign up if my schedule allows it.

Don't confuse me with any kind of experienced authority on balance, but I wonder if it's too powerful to let the martyr's toughness reset.

I agree that it would also be good to add some kind of aux evil to take the heat off the hags. It's always fun to be aux evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
Dispaminite
Kaldar
Maeve_1981
Snaak

4 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/3943...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
Spread the conFUDsion wherever you can...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK... role balance - 3 out of 15 sounds ok, given there is a double tinker, one of whom is resolutely going to stay on team good.

Items:
How exactly might they lose one of their items? Presumably they are not so dim that they will pass to someone who is not a Hag, after all. Does trying to NK a toughie cause the Tooth to be lost? Who gets items from a lynched Hag?

Do hearts count as items - are they held in common, or by the one who wielded the tooth? If you envisage the latter, make them held in common or the delay to potions will be extreme (kill, kill, pass hearts to cauldron holder (extra delay) or kill, kill and cauldron holder passes it to the killer)

When you describe use of the eye, you say to pick a role from 'Oracle - Innocent Girl'... by that do you mean, choose one of 'Oracle', 'Priest' or 'Innocent Girl' or something else?

Brews:
Serpent and Toad, gotcha.
Newt... why so much stuff? Role is certainly of interest, but unless I'm missing something, the only ones who can be brutal are Hags themselves, and only they and the Elder can be Tough. Shielded is not hugely of interest, given they will (presumably) only learn results at dawn, and cannot therefore adjust their kill (unless you are going to allow a specific provisional order option of 'kill X unless Newt says he is shielded in which case kill Y'). And, as above, I missed anything about villagers getting their hands on any items.

Rituals:
Summoning - since I'm bewildered about how to lose something, I clearly don't get this one
Corruption - no issues, though be warned that some players have strong reservations about recruitment games.

Can you weave in any option for villagers to go on a quest to steal one of the three Items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Room for one more
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I figured if a hag was lynched with an item, it was lost, thus needing to be summoned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Javal wrote:
OK... role balance - 3 out of 15 sounds ok, given there is a double tinker, one of whom is resolutely going to stay on team good.

Items:
How exactly might they lose one of their items? Presumably they are not so dim that they will pass to someone who is not a Hag, after all. Does trying to NK a toughie cause the Tooth to be lost? Who gets items from a lynched Hag?

When lynched or killed, any items held by the victim, are divided randomly among the team responsible for the death of the victim (which in most cases will be the opposing team, but you never know). Thus, in case a Hag would be lynched, all items currently held by her would be divided among the villagers. In case of the Tooth, this could be dramatic as the Hags would have no more means to make a NK and thus no means to regain the Tooth. (This was the main reason for introducing the summoning Ritual).

(Originally, I planned on having the Hags NOT knowing eachother from the start, but I had to go through too many twists and turn to make it workable, so I decided to dump that after all.)

Javal wrote:

Do hearts count as items - are they held in common, or by the one who wielded the tooth? If you envisage the latter, make them held in common or the delay to potions will be extreme (kill, kill, pass hearts to cauldron holder (extra delay) or kill, kill and cauldron holder passes it to the killer)

Hearts do not count as items. I mention them specifically, to put a restrain on mass-producing items. Flavour-wise, I felt this was a nice mixture with the game mechanics. The amount of hearts to be used for each potion is open for discussion.
Hearts are common possession for all the Hags and cannot be lost.[/q]

Javal wrote:

When you describe use of the eye, you say to pick a role from 'Oracle - Innocent Girl'... by that do you mean, choose one of 'Oracle', 'Priest' or 'Innocent Girl' or something else?

What you said. You get to choose one role out of the list, and view for it. Thus, while having chosen to view for the "Oracle" and targetting the Priest and a villager with that view, the result would be "False".

Javal wrote:

Brews:
Serpent and Toad, gotcha.
Newt... why so much stuff? Role is certainly of interest, but unless I'm missing something, the only ones who can be brutal are Hags themselves, and only they and the Elder can be Tough. Shielded is not hugely of interest, given they will (presumably) only learn results at dawn, and cannot therefore adjust their kill (unless you are going to allow a specific provisional order option of 'kill X unless Newt says he is shielded in which case kill Y'). And, as above, I missed anything about villagers getting their hands on any items.

The info gained by the Newt Potion is instantaneous. Because of the small delay between Dusk and Dawn (at this point), I can provide the info right away. I understand this aspect of the Potion might be worthless for Hags that cannot be present between Dusk and Dawn. Thus, obtaining knowledge that a player is Shielded, could prove valuable to decide the NK so the use of the Tooth for that night would not be wasted.
Potions can end up with villagers as well. Thus, gaining similar effects from them, a villager might end up gaining "Brutal" or "Tough".

Javal wrote:

Can you weave in any option for villagers to go on a quest to steal one of the three Items?

Hm, interesting idea. I will think about it, but that will probably be something for a later edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Javal wrote:

Added a night action option for a standard villager.

Might need to reconsider the balance of the teams because of this however. Or tweak the % chance a bit so it evens out.

Let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elke M
Belgium
Lier
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Khell! Great theme.

I do slightly prefer a 3pm lynch instead of 4pm so I can go to bed a little bit earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for joining up Maeve.

I wonder what I need to do to get 14 others to join?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elke M
Belgium
Lier
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try flirting ; they sure love flirting around here laugh
*winks*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect plan, why didn't I think of that?
Mass mod flirting available in this game!

And if that isn't enough incentive: The first 14 people to join up don't get a free Hag lapdance!

Last one to join up IS a Hag!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elke M
Belgium
Lier
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snaak wrote:

So, when are you going to post a pic of yourself in the pics thread?

Oh, you're kidding Never saw that thread - let me check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.