Ryan Hart
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
If I was to buy one of these 2 games, which of them is better and why?

Catan is probably more a expandable right?

I've played BSG but not Catan yet. Heard great things about both but I want to hear some opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. That's a tough one because they are drastically different games. BSG is a co-op with a traitor mechanic while SoC is mainly a trading game. BSG will take 2-4 hours to play, while SoC takes 60-90.

It really more depends on what you like and who your target audience is. Could you give us more detail on that?

Otherwise, if I had to choose, I prefer BSG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Settlers of New Caprica. You can trade guns for food rations, build shanty towns and cabins in the woods, and on a roll of 7 the Cylons massacre a load of civilians!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan is much more popular, much easier to teach, easier to play and a quicker play time experience. I like both games, but I find it much easier to find people to play Settlers than BSG. Plus, I'm often not in the mood for a cooperative game.

It's a very hard question to answer because the two games are sooo different, but even that being said, I would go with Settlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hart
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks guys!

I understand that was a very hard question but the answers so far are of great help. I think I'll get SoC first. I'll eventually get both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut it down the middle and play Settlers of Galatica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Barcelo
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Battlestar Galatica. If you have enough gaming friends, somebody has to already own Settlers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RanDomino Nickelmaster
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
degamer wrote:
I would suggest Settlers of New Caprica. You can trade guns for food rations, build shanty towns and cabins in the woods, and on a roll of 7 the Cylons massacre a load of civilians!

I would make a "Battlestar Catan" joke but Starfarers of Catan already exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Mosier
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or would that be "Battlestar Catanica?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
degamer wrote:

Holy crap. Where can I buy that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Knuckle up and get both. They're both fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a no brainer.

If you like games that are incredibly immersive, cracking fun, and totally engaging to play then get BSG.

If you like your gaming experience to genuinely make you feel that taking a pair of pliers to your own testicles is a better option, then go for for Settlers.

Simple as!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:
It's a no brainer.

If you like games that are incredibly immersive, cracking fun, and totally engaging to play then get BSG.

If you like your gaming experience to genuinely make you feel that taking a pair of pliers to your own testicles is a better option, then go for for Settlers.

Simple as!

Not a fan of Settlers, Mike?

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehibbert wrote:
It's a no brainer.

Simple as!

I would add that BSG with the right crowd is awesome, I far prefer this to Settlers, but with the wrong crowd it becomes quite dull - just draw cards, try to optimise your play over and over again. You need to play with a bunch of people willing to trash-talk and accuse each other, otherwise a large part of the fun of the game will be missing.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainJax wrote:
mikehibbert wrote:
It's a no brainer.

Simple as!

Not a fan of Settlers, Mike?

Cheers,

Jack

It's not that I'm not a fan, it's just that it rates slightly lower than using pliers on myself.

Oh wait, yeah, I hate it ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Nerdsen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryankhart wrote:
If I was to buy one of these 2 games, which of them is better and why?

Question is, what suits your demands? Catan is a great introduction into somewhat deeper boardgaming when you come from Monopoly and Clue. If you are used to play boardgames with a lot of rules, then Catan could be too simple for you.

Catan is quite interactive for an Euro (which are infamous for low player interaction) since you trade stuff and can block the expansion of your opponents. But there are a lot of games with much more player interaction and BSG is one of them.

If you are looking for "beautiful game mechanisms" which are a feature of many Euros, then Catan is a better option, because it is more compact than BSG (that is, as long as you consider compactness and sticking to essential mechanisms as criteria for a good ruleset). But anyhow, if that's what you're looking for, you should maybe go for another game (Agricola or Puerto Rico would be good picks if you focus on the "game system").

ryankhart wrote:
Catan is probably more a expandable right?

Do you consider that as a pro or rather a contra argument? If you think that it's a good feature, then you shouldn't hesitate to buy BSG. It is published by FFG and this company usually releases more than one expansion for their games.

EDIT: Maybe you could name the games that you like best, so it's easier to guess what your preferences are

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I really like BSG, and for some reason I really dislike Settlers. While my favourite games are conflict-driven, there is something about how the screwage mixed with dice rolls works in Settlers that rubs me the wrong way. I haven't figured it out yet.

I suggest playing the games before buying them, if you can. You will learn a lot about your game tastes after playing each of these games. Don't rush into purchases -- especially when you are buying games for the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
degamer wrote:

Holy crap. Where can I buy that?

I placed on order from the warehouse on Picon, but it's been on back order for MONTHS now! And no one will answer my emails!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're on strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hibbert
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatchling wrote:
I think they're on strike.

Ahhh, another criketer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.