Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I know I have 3 session reports already, but I figured with the new series of I Chomp NY figures, I could use it as an excuse to post a new session report using the new figures introduced.

Monsterpocalpyse is awesome. This is not just an opinion. It is a scientific fact. Look it up. Okay, so maybe it's not a fact, but it should be. I love this game. It takes two of my greatest loves, monsters and games, and combines them into a truly wonderful package.

The following is a brief rundown of 3 seperate games I played very recently. All the games have one thing in common: That terrifying blob of corrosive sores known to mere mortals as Ulgoth. Ulgoth is an amazing figure in this set. Not only is he downright monstrous, but he has these cool transparent boils on his back that change color with the light. Play wise, he's a terrifying destructive force. Compared to Ulgoth, Gorghadra and Armodax are subtle. Inevitably, anyone who sees Ulgoth wants to play him. He's just so darned menacing.

The first battle was a showdown between Ulgoth and Nova ESR. Nova is a new G.U.A.R.D monster. She is designed to keep her opponent at a distant and blast away. To that end, she has some impressive abilities and, if played properly, can actually move up to 15 spaces in a single turn. She also flies, and since Ulgoth is earthbound, this is one of her chief advantages. The battle took place on the Boulevard of Broken Dreams map.

G.U.A.R.D took the initiative and sent Nova in to blast Ulgoth while he was pinned behind some buildings. This strategy worked at first, but it quickly became apparent that Ulgoth is not an easy monster to keep trapped. His Radial Attack power allows him to attack everything around him (even his own unfortunate units sometimes). It also means that he can easily smash his way through a city block with barely a pause.

So Ulgoth took a couple of good hits, but he gained plenty of power dice while he smashed his way after Nova. He also sucked the juice out of a few meat slaves along the way to shore up his health losses. Nova kept pouring on the heat, but there were only so many buildings to get in the way. Eventually, she ran out of places to run. Ulgoth's ability to do Super Damage with every attack in ultra form helped push things back into his favor. After a valiant effort, Nova was finally (and brutally) deactivated. Back to the drawing board, G.U.A.R.D.

The next battle in Ulgoth's reign of terror was a match against Phobos-7, the new Martian Menace tripod. Like Nova, Phobos is designed to blast its opponents from a distance. So once again, this was all about positioning. If Ulgoth could take the battle up close and personal, Phobos would be in trouble. If Phobos could keep away long enough, Ulgoth would most likely go down.

The battle started very much the same. This time though Ulgoth had learned his lesson from his battle with Nova and rushed recklessly into battle. Phobos managed to get in a few good hits and it looked like this fight would be a repeat of the Nova battle. But, alas, it was not to be.

In a surprise move, Ulgoth rampaged his way toward his opponent. It was surprising because all he destroyed in his headlong rush was a Martian reaper (new ground unit) and an apartment building. Not much of a reward in terms of power dice. But the rampage itself was cheap and easy, leaving Ulgoth more than enough action dice for back to back activations. Phobos (completely vulnerable w/o even a single action die to run away) could only quake in his mechanical boots as Ulgoth prepared to finish things.

Several Martian reapers blasted Ulgoth in desperation. They hit the fiendish monster all right, but that did just as much damage to Phobos as Ulgoth's acidic wounds splattered the too close Phobos. Phobos was thrown into a building, tried to scamper away, but there was simply no escape. Ulgoth easily ripped the Martian tripod into so much Martian scrap metal. And Ulgoth once again proved that technology, either earthbound or alien, was no match for the monster god from beyond!

In our final matchup, a new challenger to Ulgoth's throne arose. Pteradax, the deadly flying Terrasaur, had heard the wounded cries of Mother Earth as this unholy, walking disease trod upon her surface. And if the puny powers of technology couldn't handle this problem, then Pteradax would! And so, at Danger Lake, the reign of Ulgoth would come to an end.

This battle started a little differently than the others. Both monsters marched across opposite sides of the map, attacking the enemy units. The goal: Gain power dice supremecy. Pteradax soared forward, blasted a few units, then quickly followed it up with a tremendous stomp on Ulgoth's side of the map. He destroyed several buildings and units. But while Pteradax was busy wreaking havoc, Ulgoth wasn't idle. He ate a few apartment buildings (the evil fiend) and unleashed his four tentacles in every direction. In a crowning moment of awesome, Ulgoth destroyed two buildings and two units and gained 6 power dice! So now that both monsters were loaded with power dice, it was time to stop messing around.

Pteradax soared around Ulgoth, unleashing blast attacks and hiding behind a screen of Terrasaur units. His Summon Action was especially helpful. It couldn't keep Ulgoth entirely at bay, but it did help prevent Ulgoth from getting into position to pull off any devastating power attacks. The battle was fairly even though until Pteradax, bristling with power dice, fearlessly dive-bombed Ulgoth, pushing him into an office building. This not only devastated the horrid Ulgoth, it also kept Pteradax from getting splashed from that deadly toxic ooze of Ulgoth's. The flying Terrasaur didn't let up, following this smash with another activation and another smash that sent Ulgoth (with the help of some Super Strength on Pteradax's part) flying across the map to land in another office building. Ulgoth's alpha form bit the dust.

Enraged, the terrible Ulgoth unleashed a few attacks, and with the help of Annihilate Skill managed to beat down Pteradax's alpha form in short order. But it was still a game of catchup, and Pteradax's ability to take to the skies and blast from a distance (aided by the Terrasaurs seizure of a radar array in the early game) meant that Ulgoth was unceremoniously dethroned as king of the monsters, having barely scratched Pteradax's ultra form.

Triumphant, Pteradax soared over the ruined city. He'd saved the Earth from the alien monster god. But for how long? And in the meantime, who would protect those poor helpless humans from Pteradax?

If you should hear a loud whooshing sound coming from the sky...well, by then it's probably too late.

Once again, I have to say how much I enjoy this game. It's not just that it's about monsters, which I love. It's also that it's a really solid and entertaining strategy game with loads of cool mechanics. In a way, it reminds me of Heroscape, but a more complex, more strategic version of that game. But just as in Heroscape, while luck is a factor (much less so in Monsterpocalypse though), playing to your strengths and your enemy's weaknesses is key to victory. Also, using the map and surrounding buildings to your advantage can be vital in a close fight. And let's not forget the units. Unsung heroes of the battlefield, it's these guys who watch your monster's back.

So how did the new monsters play? Very well. While each seemed distinct in their abilities and style, none seemed especially more powerful than the monsters of the original series of figures. No power creep here. Not yet anyway.

I especially liked Ulgoth's amazing destructive power, and how it can be a double edged sword. His own units have to watch out for Ulgoth since his flailing tentacles crush friend and foe alike and his wounds spill forth toxic sludge that disintegrates everything in its path, even his own otherworldly minions.

Pteradax, as the first flying Terrasaur, is a nice addition to their ranks. Even without his cool abilities, his ability to soar across the battlefield and high defense mean he's not an easy target. Add his ability to Summon minions to the field, a decent blast ability, and a whole heckuva lot of health in his Ultra form, and you have one formidable monster.

Nova ESR was fun, but she's not really my type of monster. I can definitely see her being a real threat in the right hands though. Lightning Attack for her blasts in Alpha form, and Weapon Master (meaning Super Damage) in her Ultra form mean if she can keep her distance, even for a short while, she can quickly wear an enemy down. Multi-Shot allows her to strike multiple opponents with ease. And her Sprint Action not only helps her, but all G.U.A.R.D units on her side to rush into the battle.

Phobos-7, sadly, didn't really see enough action for me to get a good feel for it. But Marker is a fantastic advantage (allowing a reroll of a missed shot) and Lightning Attack and Fling with its blast in Ultra form could allow it a great deal of flexibility. Providing it can keep its distance from an up-close beast like Ulgoth.

I really like the new units as well, but this has probably gone on long enough. So I hope you enjoyed it. And remember, above all else, Monsterpocalypse is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After Mageknight I swore off collectable minis, but this game just looks better and better evertime someone brings it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't honestly blame you on that. Monsterpocalypse's biggest weakness is its collectible format. I, too, almost passed on it because of this. But the siren's song of kaiju action was just too much to resist. And I'm glad I did.

Monsterpocalypse isn't quite as bad as many collectibles, I believe. Especially if you choose to go online to find your figures. I managed to collect every monster of the first set without ever buying a repeat this way. And I have all but 3 of the I Chomp NY series.

However, the game doesn't actually require one to own every monster and unit to play. One could easily buy two or three monsters and a handful of units and focus on two or three factions (via online single selling sites). While this wouldn't be exceptionally cheap, it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive either. (The website I go to often sells figures for less than what a booster would cost.)

Buildings are, of course, a good investment too.

For what it's worth, I think it's a great game. Most collectible miniature games lack the depth and strategic decision making that Privateer Press managed with this game. And it doesn't hurt that it's just a fun theme.

I often end up adding sound FX to my games, humming the theme to Godzilla or Mothra while I plot just how to destroy my foe. And that's a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reports. I did want to let you know, though, that further research has shown Ulgoth's Radial Attack doesn't harm adjacent buildings in practice. Apparently the initial reports from the field were a little...unreliable. A common problem when dealing with the Lords of Cthul, really. ninja

(OOC: apparently, the ability cards in the boosters used old language. See here: http://forums.monsterpocalypsegame.com/viewtopic.php?p=16847.... I agree about the Ulgoth sculpt, too: it's my favorite, visually, from the whole set.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update on Radial Attack.

I do love Ulgoth's design, but I have to say it's a tie for me between Ulgoth and Pteradax. I think the flying Terrasaur has a great classic look. Considering they are my two favorite figures in the new series, it's no wonder Pteradax was the one to ultimately defeat Ulgoth. After all, nobody else looked quite cool enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt C
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yeah, Monsterpocalypse is awesome.

Ulgoth and Pteradax are my two favorites, and fortunately, I can play them together in multi-monster battles. I will need to get a health tracker first, but all in good time.

I can't wait to use Ulgoth after reading this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently had a chance to play a game with G.U.A.R.D.'s new Legionnaire metamorph monster. It was a lot of fun (as always) and I'll probably end up writing a session report about it too.

The Installations in the new set are a really nifty addition to the game, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
Recently had a chance to play a game with G.U.A.R.D.'s new Legionnaire metamorph monster. It was a lot of fun (as always) and I'll probably end up writing a session report about it too.

The Installations in the new set are a really nifty addition to the game, too.

Please do write a report for a session with Legionnaire. I've been learning the game so I've held off on playing the morphers while I learn the basics of the game. I'm also curious to hear about your experience with the installations. They look interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.