Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Abramson
United States
Edmonds
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subject: This will be good!

We had an opportunity to play the prototype at Gamestorm 11 (Vancouver WA, March 28, 2009) with the design team. Players 6: Kristin Looney, Andy Looney, Mike Selinker, Boyan Radakovich, myself, and my business partner Steve Ellis.

Andy described this game as a variant of the werewolf/mafia game, but with two changes: First, there are rounds and each round is short. Second, there is a win condition. For me, this made the game way more fulfilling but still also accessible to many people. The objective of this game is quite simple: There is an evil team and a good team. Each round, cards are dealt out randomly. With 6 players, we played with these roles.

4 Guards as follows: 1 Keyholder (good), 2 guards (good), 1 traitor (evil) 2 Wizards as follows: 1 Good Wizard, 1 Evil Wizard. The keyholder reveals him/herself to the other guards (including the traitor). So guards have one more piece of information than the wizards have.

Each round played different as each player tried to fool others into tricking them to accuse them in different ways. The only rule here is you can't show your card. Good or evil wins each round and then those players get a treasure card, which are variable value (and there are some clever special ones). The round ends when a player yells stop and calls out one of the players. If he/she correctly identifies the role, then that side will win. For example, the keyholder tries to identify the good wizard. I found this little "state map" a clever aspect of the game. The list of game ending actions are:
* evil wizard calls out the keyholder
* good wizard calls out the traitor
* guard calls out the traitor
* keyholder calls out the good wizard
* note that the traitor cannot call anyone out

So in the first round, I was dealt the good wizard card and Kristin was the evil wizard. She immediately told the table she was the good wizard and started to work on finding the traitor. So my response was "clearly, evil is speaking first to deceive you!" Unfortunately evil did win this first round, with the traitor successfully manipulating the keyholder. In the second round Andy kept kicking me trying to call out Kristin as the keyholder, but I didn't trust him. Sure enough he was right (he was the traitor and I was the evil wizard). But we still won that round as the guards falsely accused a different player of being the traitor!

During the mid game, Mike was very successful in reading the players quite quickly. In later rounds I was much more successful as an evil wizard. We played about six rounds and the game ended when one player had at least 10 points of treasure. After those rounds where Mike was guessing well, he incorrectly guessed me as the good wizard in the final round (again I was the evil wizard). Andy won with 12 points and I was second with 11 points. One of the treasure cards was a "goose egg" - I don't remember the exact name, and it was worth zero points. Steve had it early, but Kristin stole it with a special Ring treasure card, so that was a highlight of the game.

Per Kistin and Andy, this game will be out in June. The card art and box look great. I think this will be a hit!

Jeff Abramson, co-owner
Rainy Day Games, Aloha OR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Parker
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I still have some problems understanding the game:

Specifically how the keyholder can reveal to the other guards without the wizards knowing who he/she is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thelonegoldfish wrote:
I still have some problems understanding the game:

Specifically how the keyholder can reveal to the other guards without the wizards knowing who he/she is.

The wizards close their eyes. Just like Werewolf, eye-closing is an important mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But then the guards know who the wizards are...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Parker
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
azuredarkness wrote:
But then the guards know who the wizards are...

But not which one is good or evil.

The way I understand it is that the guards know who the wizards are, but not which one is which.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Abramson
United States
Edmonds
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. In fact the two wizards don't even themselves know who are good/evil until after the keyholder reviews him/herself to the other guards. Then a second set of cards are dealt face down to just wizards.

The designers describe the eye closing mechanic as "wizards go toooo sleeeeep..." I just figured us wizards were so busy memorizing our spellbooks we didn't pay attention

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rauscher
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JEFF_RDG wrote:
Then a second set of cards are dealt face down to just wizards.

A second set of cards to just wizards? This is the first I read about that - are they special abilities or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer-geek wrote:
JEFF_RDG wrote:
Then a second set of cards are dealt face down to just wizards.

A second set of cards to just wizards? This is the first I read about that - are they special abilities or something?

I read it as the wizards just get cards that say "wizard". Then the keyholder reveals himself to the guards, then the wizards get the Good or Evil card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Abramson
United States
Edmonds
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. The number of good wizard cards and evil wizard cards depend on the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.