Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's legal, Larry. And you are correct that it is the only way units will ever respond to an order from an HQ that is not a part of its chain of command.

Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry,
I think of it this way - all anyone sees is the pyro in the sky - they don't know who specifically sent it so they will follow its order regardless.

In any case, I personally haven't seen a whole lot of use for giving pyro's to PLT HQs that are keyed to commands that the entire company should be performing (like cease fire). Typically, PLT HQ's rarely have enough commands available for them to order around their own troops and they are usually in a lot more danger than the XO, CO HQ, or 1st SGT.

Therefore I usually give pryos to the XO and 1st SGT - they can save commands over turns and can even be activated by the CO HQ to give them a good boost of commands, and then you don't have to waste PLT HQ commands to send up the pyros or risk losing the pyros due to a PLT HQ casualty.

So, you usually don't see pyros (other than smoke) given to PLT HQ's for the above reasons. I'm glad that its use by a PLT HQ was included in the example of play - that is exactly the type of in-game use I really enjoyed seeing in the new XoP. Even if its practicality in-game is questionable

EDIT: Typo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff, Matt.

Also, think about this: CO HQ commands are golden, in that each one of his commands can be converted into as many as 6 commands (or 7, when/if the PLT HQs and Staff become veteran). Thus, to spend his commands on firing off a pyrotechnic device, well, isn't exactly the best use of very limited command resources.

So, give it to one of the Staff, or to a Platoon H out on the sharp end. It has the same effect, but is much more efficient in the long run.

Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is true Ricky. Also, I just now thought of the possibilities of giving a pyro or two to a PLT HQ being kept in reserve that won't be brought up until later. The reserve PLT HQ's commands could end up getting "wasted" or go unused anyway, so if its in the staging area waiting to be moved into position, throwing the occasional pryo up into the air to save commands for the staff and other PLT HQs could be of use.

This is one of those games that is almost as fun just thinking about as much as actually playing. Guess that's part of its charm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry, you *can* key pyros to only affect certain platoons, so you could have "red star cluster" be keyed to "2nd PLT cease fire" or whatever. But there are good and bad things with doing that - all part of what makes this game so good.

Certain commands, like cease fire, aren't as much benefit to specifically limit their use to certain platoons - after all, after everyone ceases fire, they will automatically open back up on any targets in LOS. Shift fire possibly could come more in handy to target certain platoons, but I honestly don't use pyros keyed to shift fire that often - I usually have a *lot* keyed to cease fire simply because I usually play somewhat aggressively and tend to send in assault teams on pinned enemy positions and don't want my own fire teams to continue shooting during the assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.