Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 2 player game with Sean McCarthy his weekend, which ended up being very interesting.

It started out fairly typically. I went first and took Hanging Gardens, Sean picked Caesar from the second set. Aristotle wasnt in the game, and Moses came late and in a bad position for me to get him, so I took Homer for a spare action and ended up never having time to play him. Sean got Pyramids.

In Age I I got Alechemy earlier but Sean got Iron, I got St Peter's Basilica as well, going for the Gardens/Basilica/Michalangelo combo, but Sean spiked it by taking Mike. The Knights came out late, but we both got one and both built up two medieval armies (Knight+Warrior).

Age 2, I got Napoleon, while Sean got the better military technologies. I was rock poor but had more yellow tokens due to a colony.

Age 3 was when it got crazy. I managed to pull ahead in military with a good tactics card, and declared a Holy War, but Sean was able to build his military up the next turn by tearing down some buildings, he went to 0 science rating. We both sacrificed everything and I lost the war, losing several population. I tore down some mine and food production. ALex Randolph and computers had appeared, so I spent my entire next turn grabbing them and building to 3 computers, via all the rocks I had remaining, some discount cards, architecture tech, mineral desposits, etc. I was left with 3 computers, one 3 culture theatre, and no mines or farms. But I was getting 15 culture a turn now. I didnt need food because my population was about where it was at game start.

Sean rebuilt his military over the next couple turns and then declared a holy war on me on the last turn of age 3. I had a big culture lead from computers+alex randolph, gardens and basilica, and the theatre, and having added democracy. Sean still had 0 tech rating and couldnt get any new techs. Basically, he had rocks and military, and no culture or science production, while I had ONLY culture and science production, and 0 military, food, or rocks!

The second holy war wiped out all my remaining people, and he hit me with an aggression to steal 7 culture as well.

We went into the final scoring about tied, I had been generating 15-17 culture a turn for a few turns (expect for Age 4) vs his 1, but he had caught up with holy war culture and stealing some with aggressions.

The final scoring was 1 pt per rock production (sean had put in - he outscored me 10-0), and 4 pts per Age 3 tech (I put in on the final turn, and score 16-0).
In the end, I had 101, Sean 96.
I had no population, at all. No science, rocks, or food production. Yet my zero remaining people had spent their final turn taking and playing Age 3 techs with the science we had previously discovered back before our computers were destoryed.

I just thought it was amazing and rediculous that the game could be won with nothing remaining. I guess my Hanging Gardens and Basilica were still standing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is pretty funny!

I can imagine these words..."Just one more turn and I had you!" Looks like he would have too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was time to decline that civ and start a new one anyways. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MysteryMan_007_007 wrote:
That is pretty funny!

I can imagine these words..."Just one more turn and I had you!" Looks like he would have too.

So at the end, I was still producing 2 culture to Alex's 3, and I didn't have a third armed intervention to play. It's quite likely one extra turn wouldn't have helped.

On the other hand, if I'd drawn my holy war a turn earlier, or drawn a war over culture instead of it, or drawn another scoring event (almost all of them were much better for me)...

The real turning point of this game was when Alex declared the first holy war, which was a mistake as I had a lot of spare rocks and only eleven points of his military were doubleable by sacrifice, while all of mine were. Even then he got lucky though, because I'd failed to draw an event card recently. If I had an event I would have popped the iconoclasm I'd added earlier, killing napoleon and thus two more population of his.

Before he played the holy war, he was definitely in a better position, having just used his military to win a couple colonies with yellow tokens to compensate for not having any food production past agriculture.

Overall it was a pretty crazy game. The fact that the first holy war left us with completely complementary production capabilities (he lost ALL of his food and rock production!) was quite amusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
ALex Randolph and computers had appeared, so I spent my entire next turn grabbing them and building to 3 computers, via all the rocks I had remaining

computers made out of rocks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex, I had almost the same thing happen in my last 2 player game. I had a nice lead and got pounded with agressions which destroyed almost everything I had but I won the game. There was very little left of me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:
ALex Randolph and computers had appeared, so I spent my entire next turn grabbing them and building to 3 computers, via all the rocks I had remaining

Makes sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice segue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne Hoffmann
Germany
Essenbach
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Werbaer wrote:
Alexfrog wrote:

Makes sense to me.

Thanks for pointing this out to me. Great comics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.