Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
badge
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was quite disappointed when i saw that Small World was made a 2-5 player game, mainly because Vinci is a great game to pull out when you're 6 people around the table.

But looking at my copy of Small World i don't see any reason why this game should not be playable and fun with 6 players. The board is even bigger (more areas) than Vinci's, and with each race having their own tokens... hey, they even provided 6 player help sheets (the rules say that the 6th one is for all players together...well, thats reasonable *cough*).

So, what are your experiences ? Anyone tried this (great) game with 6 or even more players ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays 2-5 becuase each of the 4 boards is designed for that specific amount of players (2,3,4 or 5). Trying to fit 6 players into the 5 player board would probably screw with the balance, but you're welcome to try it. I also suspect you might cycle through all the races by the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that it would be fun for several reason.

-the 5 player map is too small
-downtime
-the players will have 12 (13 with spirits) race in the game, so th enext one that takes a new one has a whopping choice of one or two races.

I'm pretty sure that we will see a six player expansion in the future, since it could also provide a new map and new races. Even the downtime problem is somehow solved that players will then be familar with the game. But for now, I would not consider playing it with 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
badge
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
tech7 wrote:
I don't think that it would be fun for several reason.

-the 5 player map is too small
-downtime
-the players will have 12 (13 with spirits) race in the game, so th enext one that takes a new one has a whopping choice of one or two races.

Vinci worked pretty well (Downtime is an common problem with a lot of players), and the map had less areas than the 5 player map of Small World. And the races wouldn't be much of a problem if the players didn't keep their race card (they just could remember their last race played). Of course, the tokens are pretty much limited, but i bet they don't stay long on the board with 6 players. Or you use some other kind of token like wooden chips or cubes for the old race.

But that's just speculation. I would like to hear from someone who tried it. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Vinci's board is smaller than the SW 5p board, but don't forget that Vinci would reduce the number of armies you got when you added more players. I think you could make it work, but you'd have to start each rach with fewer tokens.

And I agree with tech7 - if SW sells well, then I'd fully expect DoW to release an expansion with extra races and abilities and a 6p board. They'd be crazy not to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I would try to lay the 4 player and 2 player boards side by side, to find a meshing that works well enough to try for 6 player.

That is if I lived in Europe, where one can buy this game. Still no copies are known to exist in North America.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.