norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of folks know about 3D printers. The units themselves are expensive, but are coming down in price. But with most printers, they get you on the "ink."

The medium used for most 3D printers runs $30 a pound or more... this article talks about a university that has developed a substitute that costs less than $1 a pound.

http://www.physorg.com/news157730197.html

At that price, how long before you download the rules to a game AND the specs of the pawns and print your own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the printer doesn't cost $15,000 cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now we just need to get the printers to cost less that $20k!

It is kind of interesting they are using ceramics. My old room mate ordered a 3D prototype of a model he was working on (just for looks, not for play) and it was a ceramic type of material. I wonder if some places have already figured out what this article is explaining and are making a good business out of it.

Heck! I could make a good business out of it! $20k to get the machine and then charge people a pretty penny to "print" their models using very inexpensive ceramics. PLUS I'd own my own 3D printing machine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're focusing on the negative....

"Honey! The media for the 3D printers just dropped by 97%! Since that's the biggest expense over the life of the unit, I think now is the time to buy!"

It's all in how you spin it. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.