Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: Big Box worthwhile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the base game and do enjoy it when I play, but my tastes generally run toward heavier games. Some of the people in my gaming group love the game and will play it endlessly, but I merely like it. Do the expansions add significantly? This being the case, is the big box worthwhile? If it isn't, which individual expansions should be considered?

Thanks

4/1/09:
The posts below lead me to think that Big Box might be the way to go. My base game doesn't have the river expansion, I purchased my copy of Carcassonne before that was a standard addition. Ive heard that can minimize the effects of farmers in the end game. Is that correct? I&C, T&B and Tower, or P&D would be roughly $36. Throw in the river and I am at $40. Any more thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At our house, Carcassonne never hits the table unless we're using the tiles from Inns and Cathedrals and Traders and Builders. We frequently have 5-6 people playing, and the base set doesn't have enough tiles to fill the time.

We aren't using all of the rules from both sets, just the tiles. The additional rules we use are the big meeple (Bruno at our table), the Cathedral scoring and lake road scoring.

I will occasionally play the base game in tournament, but I think it lacks interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
The game is made much better by both Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders, which are included in the Big Box. If you already have the base game you could also just get those expansions, they are the essentials. Adding more tiles and more expansions is not necessarily going to make for a better game.

mrorwell wrote:
I will occasionally play the base game in tournament, but I think it lacks interaction.

Those must be some pretty low-level tournaments. I've never seen a half decent player who didn't spend a lot of time stealing cities and/or killing meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
Those must be some pretty low-level tournaments. I've never seen a half decent player who didn't spend a lot of time stealing cities and/or killing meeples.

Sorry... I was rushed when I posted my reply and I wasn't complete.

What I intended to say is that the base game has more limited options for player interaction. The additional tiles (number as well as design) afford a much greater opportunity to steal cities, roads and farms. With the base game (and 6 players), you only have a dozen tiles to work with. It's difficult enough to complete something on your own, let alone steal points from other people.

The tournament, btw, is the World Boardgame Championship. I've only attended twice, and (annoyingly) they changed the format from one year to the next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you will find that adding the expansions will make the game "heavier" as you discribe your taste. I find that they add a lot and make the game much more interesting and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I love the Big Box. I never owned just the original though, so I couldn't say exactly how much it adds. We play with the tiles and rules from regular, the river, inn & cathedrals, and traders, as well as just the tiles from the toward and princess and dragon. We also play with a dimensional limit of 12 by 12. Usually works out for a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mrorwell wrote:
The tournament, btw, is the World Boardgame Championship. I've only attended twice, and (annoyingly) they changed the format from one year to the next.

Right on. Surely they're not playing more than 3-player there, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth noting that the Big Box editions have the benefit of the tiles being marked per expansion, a feature that some of the earlier expansions do not have.

It's simple, but really nice if you JUST want to play with one or two expansions, but can't figure out which tile goes to which.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have only recently started to get into Carc, but I have found that we enjoy mixing in the expansions much more. Even with the two player game...
The added tiles give a lot more opportunities for stealing cities and farms, and they become a constant struggle. But we are both very cut throat when we play and tend to constantly screw each other over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Romano
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If my girlfriend and I are playing Carcassonne we will add Traders & Builders and Inns & Cathedrals and sometimes we'll play with the princess & dragon but its kind of hard for the dragon to eat meeples when there are only two players.

I'd suggest just picking up those two expansions, which can be found for around $12 each online rather than buying the whole big box. That is unless you want ALL of the expansions the big box offers and you want them all to fit in one box.

I can fit all of the tiles and pieces for I&C, T&B, P&D, and the river in the base box if you're worried about that too.

By the way, the expansion tiles that I have are marked with the expansions logo, so you don't need the big box for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the old Big Box if you can. The Tower is a much better expansion than Abbey and Mayor. Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders are a must, though, and they are included in both Big Boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
mrorwell wrote:

Right on. Surely they're not playing more than 3-player there, no?

In 2007, it was 1 on 1 the entire time. I finished two places outside of the awards.

In 2008, the first round was 4-5 players to weed out the pack. Second round and later was 1 on 1 to the finals. With that many people and the basic set, it was difficult to plan and I was eliminated in the first round. It was a very close game and with his last two draws, the point leader tied in to a 10 point partial city I was building. Between that an a one city field, he edged me out by 5 points.

None of the folks I spoke with after the tournament liked the large group eliminator... but the Carcassonne tournament DID actually finish on time that year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgilmour wrote:
My wife and I have only recently started to get into Carc, but I have found that we enjoy mixing in the expansions much more. Even with the two player game...
The added tiles give a lot more opportunities for stealing cities and farms, and they become a constant struggle. But we are both very cut throat when we play and tend to constantly screw each other over.

A marriage made in heaven! We occasionally play one on one with a full tower of tiles. It's vicous... there's meeple blood all over the table, but it's so much fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife, sister and her BF play Carc + I&C + T&B all the time. That is the quintessential experience. When we have new players, we just disregard the extra rules from the exp's but keep the tiles. And then introduce the pigs the builder etc etc in subsequent games.

Here's variant though that has COMPLETELY revolutionized the game at our place though, makiing it a little more thinking and somewhat less luck ... play with three tiles in hand. Completely new style of play, as you can plan ahead now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ketchupgun wrote:
... play with three tiles in hand. Completely new style of play, as you can plan ahead now!

We usually play with one additional tile face up in front of you. You can plan ahead, but you're still subject to the whim of the draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
romanodog wrote:

By the way, the expansion tiles that I have are marked with the expansions logo, so you don't need the big box for that.

Really??? I wonder if that's a new thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Romano
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wittdooley wrote:
romanodog wrote:

Really??? I wonder if that's a new thing?

Yup, I got them maybe... 4 months ago?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically, Big Box is great if you are already pretty well introduced to Carc (meaning more often then not that you own the game).

However, I've heard people buying the Big Box right away (since it seems to be most cost effective) then finding the game utterly confusing and horribly boring. The reason of course is that when you get it all at once you want to play with it all at once, not stick to the "basic" game for a few months and THEN find out what all that other bits are all about.

I would suggest buying BB, but each time you sit and play choose just two expansions (I&C + Traders, or I&C + Princess etc.). Playing MegaCarc with everything thrown in isn't really something I'd suggest to anyone but the most hardcore fans of the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.