My husband,
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
, and I are both gamers and we have a nice collection of games which we are pretty happy with. So you'd think we'd get a lot of time in playing. But honestly, we don't play much on normal days, instead doing our gaming at various meetups or having game days in our apartment and so forth.

I think there are a few factors that cause this to happen:

1) I have a long commute. I typically get home around 7:30 PM and by the time I've decompressed from work I sometimes feel tired.

2) Both of us generally prefer multiplayer games to two-player and I don't think we've played two-player enough to really get a taste for it, despite having several games in our collection that play very well with two.

3) I'm sometimes a little shy about proposing a game. Not sure why this is, I guess it's mostly an aversion to choosing games.

Despite all this, though, I'd really like to play more games and it seems silly not to be playing them when they are sitting on my shelf and I have a gaming partner to play with. SO, I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice about fitting gaming time into one's life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Find another couple or two and commit a night once a week, or bi weekly that you can gather together to play. This tends to be more fun, and now you are committed to show up, especially if you are the host eh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We plan games around chores on weekends. We set up something long like Through the Ages or Silverton on Friday evening or Saturday morning and play it for a while and then go do some boring chores and come back to it several times. It seems to make chores easier to cope with if we get frequent breaks to do something fun.

We do tend to play longer games and just factor in leaving them up for a day or two. Even if all we want to do is have a 1/2 hour or 45 minutes of a game for an evening we do get to finish them the next night after dinner.

This works very well for us and so far the cat has not carted off any game pieces or decided to nap on Roads and Boats.

I also highly recommend games designed to play with two (or very highly rated for two) as opposed to games that can be played with two or more:

Agricola with two? YEch! Le Havre with two - you miss seeing half the buildings. Power Grid for two? You must be joking. Etc.

Try:

Jambo
1960: Making of the President
War of the Ring
Silverton
Roads And Boats
Arkham Horror (each of you must play at least 2 or 3 investigators)
Through the Ages (although this can get pretty vicious, you might want to take out the big war cards at least at first. They aren't that much fun anyway)
San Juan (better than Puerto Rico when playing with only two)
Caylus (I think improves with only two players)
Pillars of the Earth
Ticket to ride Switzerland (a surprisingly difficult game to win if both players really fight hard for the central zone).

Avoid:
Babel (a pointless back and forth backstabbing extravaganza)

-Helen

We also have a weekly game group (not hosted by us), so we do get in some multiplayer games, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.