Subject: So will this game ever become un-expensive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
(short answer: No, you twit, it's Kollectible so it's meant to be pricey)

But really, boosters still list price, starters still list price, rares/epics still expensive. It is still fairly new, i just figgered with the collectible miniature gaming world shrinking (RIP Wizkids) that UD was taking their fiscal life into their hands by birthing a minis game into such uncertainty & chaos. Apparently i was wrong.

Second question:
Is the game really that good, or is the WoW marketing license really just that strong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Curlis
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Go as fast as possible to Gamestop or EbGames. They are selling the boosters for 3.99 each and the basic starter for 7. Cheap enough for you? :p

Oh and yes it is worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
As with most of the blind purchase games out there, once they die the price drops dramatically. Just wait a few years after the WoW fans get bored collecting their favorite figures then you can probably get cases of the stuff cheap on eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dresden
United States
Woodridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
As with most of the blind purchase games out there, once they die the price drops dramatically. Just wait a few years after the WoW fans get bored collecting their favorite figures then you can probably get cases of the stuff cheap on eBay.

yup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Second question:
Is the game really that good, or is the WoW marketing license really just that strong?

I feel it is a great game, the core mechanics are beautiful and very feesible for a RP systems initiative rules (The cooldown time from slower or faster abilities reflected in the tick cost is great, so simple and yet so effective - would be a great system for use in a RPG).

This game has lots of untapped potential, more so than the simple PvP game it currently is and hopefully we'll see the game's direction heading towards PvE and dungeon encounters / raids.

Also the game ties in very nicely to the MMO for people who have never played miniatures games, for example a 2v2 arena team of a mortal strike warrior and a healing druid is just as easy to form up as to consider, its just a case of what is available.
By same regard, I feel that the miniatures game accomplishes what the TCG game doesnt - elegant, simple to play but challenging with options and strats and fast, with team building and playtime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in total agreement with Peter. The game is very well designed. The thing that I particularly like is how diverse the metagame is. There isn't just one army being used over and over again at tournaments. In fact, in the last several, I don't think there were 2 armies that were the same and we run with 6-8 people consistently. On the flip side, there are only 3 or 4 pieces I would consider unplayable in the first set. There is great balance going on with the core set. I am hopeful this will also be true of the expansions.

As for the cost, I've found this to be less of a money sink than other games mostly due to the loot cards. I've probably spent about $80 to $100 after ebay sales of several Owned and a bear mount. They really have defrayed the cost of boosters for me. Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but the cost of playing wow minis has been much, much lower than what it was for me for dreamblade (even taking into account the $400 that I won playing tournaments) or mechwarrior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for cost, I found WoW minis to be very nice in that regard.
Sure the cost is higher than other minis games and you get less figures, but all the figures in the core set are pretty feesible, sure one or two are weaker than desireable but I dont feel there are any completely useless 'chaff' figures in the set.

As opposed to mageknight, heroclix or D&D figures where you might get a couple of good figures in a booster but then end up with a pile of chaff that youll never use.

So I feel im getting more for my money in WoW minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to spend that much to make it a good, playable, game - _if_ you spend wisely. Get the deluxe starter set, that will give you a good board, some terrain counters for custom maps, and 3 figures per side - 2 "normal" and 1 "epic" and some bases. Next, buy 2 extra common figures for each side from e-bay - depending on what you get in the deluxe set, you can buy ones to fill gaps and make the rough total points about even, and if you can pick up another set of bases, all the better (though I only use the bases for ticks, and use counters on the char cards for life point tracking) - if not then you can use a d10 blue-tacked to the base for the chars clock.
Now you have a good scalable game (1 - 5 per side), with a decent choice of characters for each side, for a reasonable price (I spent a total of £34 as I got the deluxe set a bit cheaper). If you want to get more ability cards, look around online (here is a good starting place) - there are complete lists/scans of all the cards available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game I looked at buying when it was released. I eventually chose to play D&D minis instead (because I already had hundreds bought for role-playing).

Still, it's certainly a game that appeals to me. And if I do ever see it cheap I may well give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
ScottE wrote:

Agreed. It's a rare CCG/CMG that holds value over time. It still surprises me how well this game seems to be doing at the retail & secondary levels. I'm pleased, as i am a sucker for CMGs & wouldn't mind seeing a few more properties in the mix (GI Joe mini's game, anyone?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Brick
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the primary factor for the continued demand comes from the strength of the WoW brand. That, combined with the quality of the minis means a lot more people are buying this game to get a piece of WoW than to play it. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

The gameplay itself is okay, but the mini's themselves have little to do with that. They are just eye candy. And when you replace them with tokens, most of the fun is gone. It's really the quality of the components that carry the game.

So will prices come down? I think so, but I think people will have a harder time selling these than some of the lower-quality figures from other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ Buechler
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
killerTree wrote:
Go as fast as possible to Gamestop or EbGames. They are selling the boosters for 3.99 each and the basic starter for 7. Cheap enough for you?

Oh and yes it is worth it.

You... are... a... god!

Taking your advice, I snatched up every booster and starter within 20 miles of Columbus, Ohio. Beyond my good fortune of finding them cheap, In only 6 boosters and 2 starters, I happened to find a Lord Bolvar Whatshisface, WARCHIEF THRALL, and an 'Ownage!' loot card! The sale of the 'Ownage!' card on eBay even paid for all the minis!

Seriously! I can't thank you enough for pointing out this bargain!

-DekkanRhee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
squallgoku wrote:
The cooldown time from slower or faster abilities reflected in the tick cost is great, so simple and yet so effective - would be a great system for use in a RPG).

Already been done. White Wolf's Scion uses a mechanic which looks quite different but is functionally identical. I haven't played Exalted, but it's my understanding Scion's combat system is based on Exalted, so Exalted likely also uses it.

There's a circle divided into 8 seconds, and each player and monster puts a token into the circle. Whenever you do something, you move your token forward so many sections, based on the action. A separate time marker is moved around the circle, section by section, to keep track of which section is currently active.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.