Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came from a hilarious group experiment with Tomb tonight, but I had to share it. Warning, this variant can add quite a bit of time to the game, and is mostly aimed at causing problems for players who love to build their characters up (but can cause problems for everyone else too!)

Rule: When Monsters are Revealed, BEFORE any "When Monster is Revealed" actions take place, count the number of cards (of any kind) CURRENTLY attached to characters in the raiding party.

For each card attached to members of the raiding party, add 1 HP to each monster revealed in the Crypt (so if a party had 6 cards attached, EACH monster would have +6 HP). Grab wound tokens equaling a Monster's new HP total and place these next to the Monster card. Do this for each Monster encountered. This effect only lasts for the current battle. If another group encounters the same monster later, the Monster's HP are recalculated according to the new group's attached cards.

Now perform each Monster's "When Revealed" Actions (as well as any "when monsters are revealed" actions the characters may have) as per normal rules.

As the Monsters are wounded discard wound tokens from beside their card instead of adding them (this makes it easier to keep track of the HP totals). When each monster runs out of wound tokens, it is defeated.

Attaching new cards to characters or losing cards during the Battle (or during the "Monsters are Revealed" phase) does not modify the Monster Hit Points after they have already been determined.

NOTE: Any characters that have abilities related to Monster Hit Points (eg. Leun Moonstone) use the PRINTED number of HP for the monster, NOT the new number.

What this basically means is the more powered up your characters are, the more work your party will need to do to chop down the monsters. And it can get VERY interesting when you encounter a bunch of 5 monsters at once with a high-power party (there was a fair bit of "bravely running away" in this game).

NOTE: Watch out for the following monsters, as they become bloody annoying with this variant (but not impossible to beat). You could almost look upon these guys as "Boss Monsters":

AMON-SELKET - this idiotic mummy already gets an attack bonus for attached "Item" cards, so can be REALLY annoying with a few extra HP too!

BLACKWATERS - Good god, taking this thing down is a mission if it has too much HP. Saying that, if you come back with a party of 4 or 5 with hardly anything attached, hes not so bad.

SELAI YSCAR - We were chasing this bugger all over the Crypt! Sileth Elestra (solo) finally nutted this guy, although I think I would have been able to take him down as I was going to try to kill him with just a Fighter (to take the first hit) and a Wizard with Fireball. In fact in the end all the players had some kind of cunning plan to get him!

BONE GOLEM - Oh great, this guy already gets 2 HP for each Monster in the Raiding Player's XP Bank! Thankfully he was caught in a crypt by himself against a very well balanced party.

Anyway, try at your own risk. It is easily possible to compete well against this variant as long as you know how to balance your guys, although sometimes it only takes one bad combo of monsters to wipe you out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chemist .
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
db-one wrote:
When each monster runs out of wound tokens, it is defeated.

No thanks, I'd rather keep my basic low-HP skeleton as is. There are other variants I'd rather use that keep the card-drawing and character building down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SDSUChemTA wrote:

No thanks, I'd rather keep my basic low-HP skeleton as is. There are other variants I'd rather use that keep the card-drawing and character building down.

Good for you, so do I! That's why the first paragraph in the variant specifically mentions its for groups that *like* to build up their groups (to provide more of a challenge without taking away the building aspect they like)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.