Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to come up with a way to play Taj Mahal with a colour blind friend of mine (the pastel colours of the cards are the sticking point), and I was toying with the idea of getting some decks made up at ArtsCow.

This got me thinking about what colours could be used to make a good redesign. Can anyone help? Perhaps images could be added with some comments about how easily the cards/pieces shown can be differentiated?

All help appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McDuff
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
"'A grey man,' she said. 'Neither white nor black, but partaking of both. Is that what you are, Ser Davos?' 'What if I am? It seems to me most men are grey.'" -- Lady Melisandre of Asshai and Ser Davos Seaworth from A Clash of Kings by G.R.R. Martin
badge
A small part of a 17,000 pushpin video game art project I was involved with.
mbmbmbmbmb
See

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/20738?commentid=166374...

for a good suggestion, or even that whole geeklist for ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the primary colors (Red, Blue, Yellow) and add white and black. That gives you five colors, and there aren't too many 6 player games out there.

When you start adding derivations of each color (pink, orange, purple) that is when things get confusing. Also, red/green color blindness is the msot common. If you have to use one, do not use the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
To further confuse things there are degrees of color blind. I can easily see the differenve between green and red but some sahdes of red and orange. Forgetaboutit. Some games are horrible for me to play. Liberte is one that comes to mind. It kinda blows your strategy when you have to ask what color a province is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to come up with a way for a colour blind person to play Taj Mahal. Should I forget about adjusting the pastel colours on the cards and just add four different symbols? I've missed the deadline for the promo at ArtsCow, but hopefully it will come round again and I want to be ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also colorblind, and I use assorted tricks to make games work for me. For Taj Mahal, there were two colors of cards I couldn't differentiate. (Don't ask me what colors they are. I'm at work right now. If I were home I could pull them out and have my wife define them for us). The temples are easy enough to discern for me.

I use an old magician's trick that works well for me. I take a pencil with a dull point. If it's too sharp, it might damage the card. Just make a small dot in the upper left corner of one suit. The mark is very noticeable for those of us used to searching for patterns, rather than color. The "normal" color visioned people won't even see it, most of the time.

I use that for any cards that have color issues for me. Loot, David & Goliath, Limits, are a few others I can think of where I've used this successfully. I'm sure I have others that aren't coming to mind right now.

The only game I can't get a good system for is Through the Desert. Too many colors in that one, with the camels and riders. Makes the game work rather than play for me.

I use other methods for keeping track of pieces on the board that are similar in color. Let me know if you want more ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Symbols.

Tis the surest way to avoid any confusion.

There is also a website that shows images in different color blind shifted filters...I can't remember where the Hell I saved that link though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.