Popular Tags: DIY [+] [View All]
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'm looking at adding some walls to a game map I have and I know foam board is often used in that application.

Upon doing a little more reading I've come across references to Foam Board, Foam Core and Gator(?) Board.

Are any of these the easiest to work with? All I really want to do is cut, glue and paint it.

Are there specific glues and paints you should use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Casey
United Kingdom
Caversham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Where'd he go?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not heard of Gator board, and as far as I know foam core and foam board are one and the same thing.

Its basically just cardboard on the outside, so any paper glue will do. I use white PVA glue (I think you call it Elmers in the US?).

When cutting foam board, use the "three cuts" technique - use a *sharp* craft knife, make three cuts - first cut goes through the top layer of card, second cut through the foam, thrid cut through the bottom layer of card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gator board is very rigid and doesn't warp (as much) as foamcore does. Yes foamboard and foamcore are pretty much the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FoamCore (and variations on that spelling) are more susceptible to warping depending how large a piece you use and whether you glue or paint with a heavy hand). The water content of the paint/glue can cause it to warp. I'm not sure how humidity much plays into it. I have a difficult time with foamcore staying flat no matter how careful I am.

Gator Board is definitely more rigid and will retain its flatness better. It is also more costly.

If anyone who's well-versed in foam core projects will chime in, I'd certainly like to know if there are any tips or tricks for keeping it flat (both when storing it, and when gluing it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
What do you use to glue it together? Elmers as suggested, hot glue gun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hot glue works well, but it is easier to make a mess with it. I love it myself, since it hardens in about 30 seconds. Elmer's glue or "Tacky Glue" will also work. The Tacky Glue is basically white glue, but much thicker and dries faster.

You will also want a cutting mat and a metal ruler with cork backing in addition to the sharp knife w/ lots of extra blades to do the cutting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
For glue in projects like this, I like a polyurethane glue - like Gorilla Glue for instance. It fills in gaps, is very strong. But it can leave little bubbles and it swells a bit on curing. So practice with it at first to get the hang of it and you will end up with results you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob wrote:
a metal ruler with cork backing .

oh wow Thanks RangerRob

I never thought of that, I have a metal ruler but no cork backing, that would make a big difference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, I used the metal ruler with no cork for awhile and it was always sliding around. I'm much happier with cutting now with the new ruler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paulamala wrote:
For glue in projects like this, I like a polyurethane glue - like Gorilla Glue for instance. It fills in gaps, is very strong. But it can leave little bubbles and it swells a bit on curing. So practice with it at first to get the hang of it and you will end up with results you like.

I wouldn't use Gorilla simply because it does foam up. You really don't need a glue quite that strong. A thin layer of Modge Podge or Elmer's applied with a foam brush should work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first time using foam core was to make a dice tower. I was pretty clueless about it back then and made a complete mess of the cuts. The only glue I had available at the house when I decided to start was epoxy. That was a huge mess and hard to work with, but my joints ended up being stronger than the foam core itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Casey
United Kingdom
Caversham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Where'd he go?
mbmbmbmbmb
pepperhead wrote:
RangerRob wrote:
a metal ruler with cork backing .

oh wow Thanks RangerRob

I never thought of that, I have a metal ruler but no cork backing, that would make a big difference

I actually use mine with the cork side up! Otherwise there is a gap between the ruler and the surface and its harder to keep the knife flush with the edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to use any white "Elmers" type. Something I havn't seen anyone post I'll add in is... Try using round style toothpicks at the joints it helps hold the assembly together while it glues. If I have a "T" syle joint I push the toothpick through where the top of the "T" is and down inside the foam of the verticle part, (if that made any sence) and then you can paint over the "stud" later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
I like to use any white "Elmers" type. Something I havn't seen anyone post I'll add in is... Try using round style toothpicks at the joints it helps hold the assembly together while it glues. If I have a "T" syle joint I push the toothpick through where the top of the "T" is and down inside the foam of the verticle part, (if that made any sence) and then you can paint over the "stud" later

I've done the same using straight pins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:

That's a good Idea (the pins) which can cause less surface damage.

I usually leave the Toothpicks in and cut them off so in the long run they add more support. Do you just pull the pins out after the glue dries? Is it a strong joint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
kjamma4 wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:

That's a good Idea (the pins) which can cause less surface damage.

I usually leave the Toothpicks in and cut them off so in the long run they add more support. Do you just pull the pins out after the glue dries? Is it a strong joint?

I was making a 3D structure for Car Wars so I left the pins in as they did not visibly mar what I was building. The joint was extremely strong - I had the piece for about 15 years and never had any problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.