Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...... after playing a good number of games of AoS with some friends over the last few weeks, I'm afraid I'm more interested in AoS than Steam now. I would prefer a game that is a hybrid of both games I think, but in the end I had to pick just one. The fact that I could get AoS now was icing on the cake. So I just cancelled my Steam pre-order, threw in some extra PayPal money, and AoS will be arriving at my house this week.

I've been accussed of showing "Steamthusiasm" and even admitted to a Steam bias in a thread I created so this move has not been an easy one. I love the extra maps for AoS (hope to have the top 3 soon and I printed out the print-and-play Scotland map this morning in case I only have one friend come to gaming tomorrow night). I also love the way the dice determine the cubes coming on the map.

I've been really enjoying the AoS pictoral session reports here (can't remember the name of the guy who posts them). Learning a lot about the nuances of the the game lately. Went bankrupt for the first time Sunday night, but instead of liking the game less I actually found myself reading up more so that it won't happen again.

Even had John B. send me a p.m. about a rules question I posted in a thread (I hadn't written him directly.... just posted the question in a thread).

AoS is the better game for me. I guess I just needed to play it a bunch of times and let it sink in.

Maybe one of my friends will pick up Steam when it comes out and I can try it again. I did enjoy it at PrezCon, but I had never played AoS then. I'd play Steam again, but it won't be a purchase and I don't see myself ever liking it more than AoS.

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Tan
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*takes a quick glance at the date on my system clock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
And then when you play Steam you'll buy that too...just like most of us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boing123 wrote:
*takes a quick glance at the date on my system clock

Ethan got me. Oh well. Thought it had a chance of fooling more folks.

For the record,Steam is the game for me. I've enjoyed learning AoS and I think it's a great, great game. But I'm keeping my Steam pre-order and won't be buying AoS anytime soon.

Happy April Fool's Day!

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
yea, you got me too...

it's still my understanding you can play Steam by the other original (2nd edition?) AoS rules?

I still own AoS 2nd edition so no plans to buy either right away, but hoping to try out the Steam rules with my AoS 2nd edition game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody could pull off that hat like Freddy -- we miss you, man!

Say, wasn't that the video where he dislocated his hip?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
JeffyJeff wrote:
it's still my understanding you can play Steam by the other original (2nd edition?) AoS rules?

Within the limits of missing components like town markers, dice, charts, missing track tiles, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good one! I put my Steam preorder in earlier this week and the anticipation is...well you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Oh man, you are a wild and crazy guy! Saying you like this one game more than that other game, when you really like the other game better? Whew! Boy oh boy, no one's ever going to forget the old "liking one game more than another" prank of '09.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although this particular case was an April Fool's joke, I would guess that the delay til May will have an impact on Steam sales. The fact that you are able to get AoS for two months before Steam hits the stores will sway people that are torn between them. I myself am waiting for Steam, I'm just saying...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Lauwbierkoffie
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
voor euro's en thematische spellen
badge
Kom spellen spelen bij het spelpaleis
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
Oh man, you are a wild and crazy guy! Saying you like this one game more than that other game, when you really like the other game better? Whew! Boy oh boy, no one's ever going to forget the old "liking one game more than another" prank of '09.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
opks22 wrote:
Although this particular case was an April Fool's joke, I would guess that the delay til May will have an impact on Steam sales. The fact that you are able to get AoS for two months before Steam hits the stores will sway people that are torn between them. I myself am waiting for Steam, I'm just saying...

May?????? Sheesh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This post is full of fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deaddogdays wrote:
This post is full of fail.

Then good job sticking with the theme...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:

Another angry Titans' fan.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What's up with the AoS and Steam forums? They are the only ones pranking us it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

Not really. If it is garbage, why would we buy it?

Remember, Martin Wallace games are either really good or bargain bin material. For every Brass or Age of Steam, there are at least 3 stinkers released. Tempus anyone? No? Maybe Mordred then? No? Or do you guys prefer Byzantium? Oh c'mon, I got them all for $5 in the bargain bin, so they must be good. Besides, it is by Martin Wallace.. So it should be good. Tempus must be awesome since it is another fine Martin Wallace production... Ditto for Mordred and Byzantium and countless other garbage out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
friedricetheman wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

Remember, Martin Wallace games are either really good or bargain bin material. For every Brass or Age of Steam, there are at least 3 stinkers released. Tempus anyone? No? Maybe Mordred then? No? Or do you guys prefer Byzantium? Oh c'mon, I got them all for $5 in the bargain bin, so they must be good. Besides, it is by Martin Wallace.. So it should be good. Tempus must be awesome since it is another fine Martin Wallace production... Ditto for Mordred and Byzantium and countless other garbage out there.

I got ASL, Beyond Valor, and a stack of boards and scenarios from a charity shop for around $15...

...Tempus, Byzantium and Mordred are still in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
friedricetheman wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

I got ASL, Beyond Valor, and a stack of boards and scenarios from a charity shop for around $15...

...Tempus, Byzantium and Mordred are still in my collection.

Yeah, but the difference is that I got them at a local FLAG's bargain bin.

I too found a Cosmic Encounter (Eon edition) for $2 at a local garage sale. It's no big deal.

But when a game is put on the bargain bin in your local gaming store, don't you think something is seriously wrong with it... Just my two cents.

I just realize that Wallace has a lot of fanboys who would lap up any kind of garbage thrown at them as long as the junk in question has Martin Wallace's name on it.

It could be the crappiest game alive but if it has Martin Wallace's name on it, it will sell. Lesson number 1 : Never trust game reviews from fanboys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
friedricetheman wrote:
But when a game is put on the bargain bin in your local gaming store, don't you think something is seriously wrong with it... Just my two cents.

I've got some great games out of bargain bins; it's the stuff that stays there that's crap. For instance I have visited Spiel at Essen and been surprised what goes into the "bargain bins" there; some of the better games from the most prolific designers (for example Knizia, Moon and Kramer) - going for 5 - 10 Euros simply because they are excess stock from an old print run.

friedricetheman wrote:
I just realize that Wallace has a lot of fanboys who would lap up any kind of garbage thrown at them as long as the junk in question has Martin Wallace's name on it.

Martin Wallace's biggest fanboys are often heavily critical of his games; especially during playtesting. Furthermore I am what you might call a "fanboy" but I won't buy "any kind of garbage" that has his name on it. I think there are about half a dozen titles of his I won't touch.

friedricetheman wrote:
It could be the crappiest game alive but if it has Martin Wallace's name on it, it will sell. Lesson number 1 : Never trust game reviews from fanboys.

That's the nature of reviews, though; their usually written by people who have invested something (time, money or whatever) in what they're reviewing. That means the crappiest games often don't even get reviewed; besides that I think my "reviews" of Martin's games have always been fair and as impartial as they possibly can be:

http://fellonmyhead.blogspot.com/2006/08/tempus-flair.html

http://fellonmyhead.blogspot.com/2006/11/october-games.html

http://fellonmyhead.blogspot.com/2006/02/constantinople-or-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob in Richmond wrote:
I've been really enjoying the AoS pictoral session reports here (can't remember the name of the guy who posts them).

Fubar Awol

Check out the latest here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/399888
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Rob in Richmond wrote:
I've been really enjoying the AoS pictoral session reports here (can't remember the name of the guy who posts them).

Fubar Awol

Check out the latest here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/399888

Thanks Pierce. I'll have to take a look at that one.

Funny though, Small World has really taken most of mind off of waiting for Steam. I'm still pumped about it, but in a much healthier way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.