Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Rules of thumb for detecting cylons? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Lin
msg tools
After seeing a number of posts about "suspicious behavior", I'm curious what rules of thumb people use to know when there's a cylon among them. Of course, there's the obvious "there are three negative skill checks in the mix" and "Only so-and-so draws Engineering cards", but I'm curious about the more subtle things ... I saw someone say, "if we haven't drawn a jump 3 destination in three turns, I suspect the Admiral" or "If no Quorum cards have been played after three turns, the President is a toaster." How can YOU tell when one of your compatriots is, in fact, a skin job?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If their spine glows when they have sex.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone activates the FTL early and they fail the die roll they're probably a Cylon.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
If their spine glows when they have sex.


I believe Cylon engineers fixed that particular giveaway after the pilot episode.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite method is to lean in closely, look into his or her eyes, and yell at the top of my lungs "WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO DESTROY US?!". It'll be pretty obvious after that. Torture works too.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ugolini
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
1. When a typically quiet person becomes a font of advice, or when the usual table captain is oddly quiet, that person is a Cylon.

2. When someone makes a Rube Goldberg-like explanation of why taking the "or" is better than trying the skill check, including multiple pleas of "What? This makes perfect sense!", that person is a Cylon.

3. MichaelL is a Cylon. If he's not playing, then it's me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
someone accuses everyone but himself of being a cylon (which is especially ironic since they themselves usually are it)

They use strategic planning whenever the cylons attack

They use their 1-time super powers or special powers to influence skill checks, crisis cards, or other events for the worse.

They use their special ability just b/c they can and no other reason




Geosphere wrote:
If their spine glows when they have sex.

Bring in a baby. If someone snaps the baby's neck while you're playing, that person just might be a cylon.

If someone mentions they can't die, then they just might be a cylon


Also, many other good tells here....
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Uethym wrote:
1. When a typically quiet person becomes a font of advice, or when the usual table captain is oddly quiet, that person is a Cylon.

2. When someone makes a Rube Goldberg-like explanation of why taking the "or" is better than trying the skill check, including multiple pleas of "What? This makes perfect sense!", that person is a Cylon.

3. MichaelL is a Cylon. If he's not playing, then it's me.


That's true for my game group 2 guys are always cylons. I've played 8 games and have yet to ever be a cylon or sympathizer.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When I see people doing "less than efficient moves".

Last game starbuck was piloting a viper and in the same sector as raiders and another unmanned viper. The raider hit the unmanned viper. Starbuck used the card that causes the raider to reroll the dice.

I asked him "Why did you use that card on the unmanned viper instead of saving it for yourself?"

He replied "Oh, I have another one in my hand I can use if I need it."

Right then I was pretty sure he was a cylon.

Next round I knew for sure when his viper was hit and he did not play another of those cards to save himself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason M
Canada
flag msg tools
In my opinion, the more someone tries to accuse others of being cylons, and encouraging others to send them to the brig, the more likely that the accuser is a cylon. As someone mentioned above, I have noticed that people who suddenly become cylons duing the sleeper agent phase do change their behavior. I have done this myself. I started as a human and was very helpful and talkatvie, after becoming a cylon I was much less so. A couple people picked up on this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Irene
msg tools
Snuff wrote:
I saw someone say, "if we haven't drawn a jump 3 destination in three turns, I suspect the Admiral" or "If no Quorum cards have been played after three turns, the President is a toaster."


I will take both of these points and go a step further:

1. Sometimes the destination deck just is unlucky. Many Admirals will try their best to take the fleet a total of 3 distance first, so you will probably go 2 + 1 distance with the first two jumps. If the Admiral isn't lucky, that third jump won't have a 3 in there. What I suggest is that if the Admiral is taking this strategy, make sure the Admiral is scouting the deck before that 3rd jump. If you go to 1 distance locations more than once in during the entire game, you should Brig the Admiral just for the stupidity.

2. Because there are so many different Quorum Cards, its very hard to blame the President for not playing them when they may not even have the right cards, especially if the President is Roslin, who must discard two skill cards to use the President's Office. However, if no cards are being played, just keep a close watch on the player. Just like in real life, if the President isn't doing their job, the populous will ask questions. Just keep on them about what their plans are and ask question after question. If they end up being a Cylon, you will at least distract them from their sabotage strategy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Now known as; YearoftheCat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
tibbs2 wrote:
When I see people doing "less than efficient moves".

Last game starbuck was piloting a viper and in the same sector as raiders and another unmanned viper. The raider hit the unmanned viper. Starbuck used the card that causes the raider to reroll the dice.

I asked him "Why did you use that card on the unmanned viper instead of saving it for yourself?"

He replied "Oh, I have another one in my hand I can use if I need it."

Right then I was pretty sure he was a cylon.

Next round I knew for sure when his viper was hit and he did not play another of those cards to save himself.


You see, to me it'd make a lot more sense for the Toaster to let the unmanned viper get damaged, and to save the card to prevent a trip (and card wasting) trip to sickbay later. If I were said Toaster-Starbuck I'd hold onto my Evasive Manuvers if I felt like it wouldn't make people suspicious (apparantly I'd make people suspicious either way though ;))
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT:
--I'm aware that there are only 10 cylon attack cards in the deck (not counting the 1 super crisis one), but I worded what I wrote in haste. It's fixed!

--expanded on scouting...



tsa333 wrote:
Snuff wrote:
I saw someone say, "if we haven't drawn a jump 3 destination in three turns, I suspect the Admiral" or "If no Quorum cards have been played after three turns, the President is a toaster."


I will take both of these points and go a step further:

1. Sometimes the destination deck just is unlucky. Many Admirals will try their best to take the fleet a total of 3 distance first, so you will probably go 2 + 1 distance with the first two jumps. If the Admiral isn't lucky, that third jump won't have a 3 in there. What I suggest is that if the Admiral is taking this strategy, make sure the Admiral is scouting the deck before that 3rd jump. If you go to 1 distance locations more than once in during the entire game, you should Brig the Admiral just for the stupidity.
Or better yet, you can scout the deck and leave good destinations for him. If he STILL doesn't take those destinations, then that's highly suspect.

Some people report having success having done this with Roslin. Scout out the crisis card deck, leave the card on top, and see if she chooses it or not. Apparently, much can be deduced from this.


With both decks, I will say the odds can swing wildly. In my last game, of our first 15 or 16 crisis cards, 8 of them were cylon attacks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Now known as; YearoftheCat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Woelf wrote:
If someone activates the FTL early and they fail the die roll they're probably a Cylon.

Hmm; If someone Activates FTL, and civilian ships were Not in Danger, and Auto-Jump was one or two steps away, then Yeah, that's suspect. If they don't "fish" for hints about strategic plannings in folks hands before hand, that too is suspect.

Flipside: Anyone who argues Against jumping early when civilian ships are clearly in danger (Unmanned Vipers outnumbered 3:1, sometimes 2:1 is enough) and especially if the Civvies are in the same sector as said outgunned Vipers...) well, I'd suspect them. This of course has a Lot to do with where the population is at anyway, and if the destination deck has been scouted. You don't want to pull a blind jump unless the situation is really bad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Now known as; YearoftheCat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
ackmondual wrote:
...
With both decks, I will say the odds can swing wildly. In my last game, our first 15 or 16 crisis cards were cylon attacks!

I'd say whoever set up your crisis deck was the Cylon, because there are only 10 Cylon Attacks in the whole deck! (except for '33', but if that came up 5-6 times in 16 turns...)

but I do know what you mean, and it sounds like a good argument for Scouting the Crisis deck if there ever was one (Of course, then folks would suspect whoever was doing the scouting of being a cylon, because every time they scout they'd say "Jeze not another!" and put it at the bottom of the deck, making everyone wonder if that was a jump prep card they just tanked. In other words-Spread out Scouting duty and other thankless jobs.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenth Cylon

010000110111100101101100011011110110111000100000010010000110111101101101011001010111011101101111011100100110110001100100
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
As only I can, let me correct the record
Geosphere wrote:
If their spine glows when they have sex.
Myth. Something else glows.
Woelf wrote:
If someone activates the FTL early and they fail the die roll they're probably a Cylon.
Absolutely true. Cylons are able to manipulate the die.
ackmondual wrote:
1. Someone accuses everyone but himself of being a cylon (which is especially ironic since they themselves usually are it)
2. They use strategic planning whenever the cylons attack
3. They use their 1-time super powers or special powers to influence skill checks, crisis cards, or other events for the worse.
4. They use their special ability just b/c they can and no other reason.
5. If someone mentions they can't die, then they just might be a cylon
1. Myth. A true Cylon doesn't care who knows he's a Cylon. It makes no difference. Humans will die.
2. No comment.
3. A little blatant. This is only done to slap the humans around for not recognizing the hidden cylon until it's too late.
4. Partially true. Only an inexperienced Cylon would do this. If I ever catch a Cylon doing this, I'll throw him in the frakking brig myself!
5. Obviously true. They may also declare, "You're all about to frakking die!"
ArcanaGarner wrote:
I'd say whoever set up your crisis deck was the Cylon.
Most definitely true. This person should be instantly brigged, or spaced!

Warmest regards,
1010
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcanaGamer wrote:
You see, to me it'd make a lot more sense for the Toaster to let the unmanned viper get damaged, and to save the card to prevent a trip (and card wasting) trip to sickbay later. If I were said Toaster-Starbuck I'd hold onto my Evasive Manuvers if I felt like it wouldn't make people suspicious (apparantly I'd make people suspicious either way though )

Actually, getting hurt can be a good thing for toasters, especially pilot toasters. Think about it:
1. You won't draw as many skill cards to help out with.
2. Those actions it takes to get back out into the fray are essentially wasted.
3. Those poor civilians you were defending are defenseless in the meantime.
And it's all a perfectly legitimate excuse!

Sometimes, you don't have to be evil to hurt the humans, just subpar devil
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Davis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jormungandr83 wrote:
Actually, getting hurt can be a good thing for toasters, especially pilot toasters. Think about it:
1. You won't draw as many skill cards to help out with.
2. Those actions it takes to get back out into the fray are essentially wasted.
3. Those poor civilians you were defending are defenseless in the meantime.
And it's all a perfectly legitimate excuse!

Especially if, to get you back in space, someone helpfully gives you an Executive Order at a good time for your reveal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leifert
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
pogoman59 wrote:
In my opinion, the more someone tries to accuse others of being cylons, and encouraging others to send them to the brig, the more likely that the accuser is a cylon.


That's why I accuse everybody, playing as human or as cylon. My group never knows when I'm a Cylon 'cause I always play aggressive. ^^

My tip: brig everyone!
Humans will most likely XO and Launch Scout when brigged, while Cylon will scream for freedom.
I always say: "There is a party in the brig, and you were invited!".



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Now known as; YearoftheCat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
thom_br wrote:
pogoman59 wrote:
In my opinion, the more someone tries to accuse others of being cylons, and encouraging others to send them to the brig, the more likely that the accuser is a cylon.


That's why I accuse everybody, playing as human or as cylon. My group never knows when I'm a Cylon 'cause I always play aggressive. ^^

My tip: brig everyone!
Humans will most likely XO and Launch Scout when brigged, while Cylon will scream for freedom.
I always say: "There is a party in the brig, and you were invited!".

Funny.. But do the humans ever win at your table? :)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thom_br wrote:
pogoman59 wrote:
In my opinion, the more someone tries to accuse others of being cylons, and encouraging others to send them to the brig, the more likely that the accuser is a cylon.


That's why I accuse everybody, playing as human or as cylon. My group never knows when I'm a Cylon 'cause I always play aggressive. ^^

My tip: brig everyone!
Humans will most likely XO and Launch Scout when brigged, while Cylon will scream for freedom.
I always say: "There is a party in the brig, and you were invited!".



easy solution, just brig you and be done with it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TenthCylon wrote:
ArcanaGarner wrote:
I'd say whoever set up your crisis deck was the Cylon.
Most definitely true. This person should be instantly brigged, or spaced!
By your command.

I mean, that sounds like a great idea that all true humans, like myself, should definitely consider.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.