Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got a copy of this game over the weekend and 5 cards have damage to the varnish. Either the varnish wasn't applied properly or a machine scraped off a section of the varnish on the top back section of each of the damaged cards. When I got a copy of Last Night on Earth it had bent cards in it. The production value on the Flying Frog components is high, but the quality control seems pretty questionable. Anyone else have similar problems?

This game isn't cheap, so ideally I'd like to get a set of components without part of the varnish missing because that effectively marks the cards and can subject them to higher wear and tear.

Lee Valentine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't be a lot easier to just send FFP an email? shake

My experience with FFP has been that they are more than willing to resolve these kind of issues.

On 20 Aug 2008 (I think this is 3 days after GENCON), I sent an email explaining that my copy of AToE had 5 delaminated cards and requested replacements.

On 21 Aug 2008, FFP responded, offered the replacement cards, but needed specific information about one of the cards (white horse or brown horse?).

On 25 Aug 2008, I received the replacement cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Fries
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found Flying Frog's customer service to be excellent. Have you tried writing to them? From my experience they will respond to an e-mail message within a day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(\____/)
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game had a similar problem initially... just send an e-mail to admin@flyingfrog.net with a list of cards that were damaged. I bet you'll get replacements in the mail quickly.

It's a bit of a nuisance to get damaged components but at least Flying Frog have been great in replacing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
De Frog has excellent customer service.
Just e-mail them for replacements.

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
Wouldn't be a lot easier to just send FFP an email? shake

That wouldn't answer the question as to whether these issues are widespread, which is a point of curiosity for me.

If this was manufactured in Asia, my own experience with print runs there is that they are high quality and have low quality control.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My components are fine. Except that my box cover got damaged during shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Allen
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
princemousey wrote:
My components are fine. Except that my box cover got damaged during shipping.

Ditto. High quality all the way. No problems. My box cover even looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kozlowski
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both A Touch of Evil and Last Night on Earth and all the components were great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to have about 5 cards replaced in my copy of TOE due to a similar issue. Got replacements right away...FFP does have great customer service!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
Customer service is great, I agree this could have handled differently than as was done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good quality control is expensive. It is simply too time-consuming and demanding to ensure that every product that hits the shelves is sufficient. Considering that the market for hobby board games is relatively small, and that there are significant production and development costs to recoup, they've got to do what they can to stay in business.
It's more cost effective to replace faulty goods than it is to catch them before they make it to the consumer. And FFP will, in my experience, happily do just that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
hudarklord wrote:

That wouldn't answer the question as to whether these issues are widespread, which is a point of curiosity for me.

Why?

I was considering writing up a review of this for the OgreCave.Com podcast/website. I always address component quality on board games and since I've had 2 games in a row with quality control problems I wanted to see if I was the norm or a fluke. If I note problems then I will also likely comment on customer service to replace the game components that were factory damaged if that happens.

I've had fun with the game thus far.

Also -- re boxes, yeah either from the factory or in shipping the box was damaged. Only the label/wrap was holding the top of my box on on one side. Since I mail-ordered the game, I wasn't certain if this happened between the factory and Flying Frog or in transit. But, I'm willing to give Flying Frog the benefit of the doubt on that.

Thanks to those who have replied. The good thing is that clearly there have been some problems with other people's games, but everyone is describing good customer service in resolving the problems.

Lee Valentine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
but everyone is describing good customer service in resolving the problems.

Except for the damaged box cover. They can't/won't resolve that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting - I have the same issue with 5 cards too. I'll be sending them an email soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.