Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: variants [+] CE [+] [View All]
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To make a long story short --- I traded a couple games to get myself a 2nd copy of CE, painted the 2nd set, etc. etc. etc. and decided to print out stickers to make actual looking planets, 10 sets of 5.

In most cases, we'll probably use a regular set, but I was thinking (after looking at the Reverse Hex rules) about also having each type of planet with it's own special "power" and each player drawing 5 planets at random from the 50. I could make a reference card to keep track.

I'd like to get 10 ideas from people, such as "Ships lost in battle on this planet are removed from the game", or, "Offense adds +5 in battles on this planet". Any ideas help, even if you can't come up with all 10. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am not sure all the extra action is needed... one thought that might simplify thinking would be to tie each planet as a sort of alien Flare.. with the "super" flares being available to players who are that alien type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:
While I am not sure all the extra action is needed... one thought that might simplify thinking would be to tie each planet as a sort of alien Flare.. with the "super" flares being available to players who are that alien type.

Thanks, and I did think about that, but I was leaning toward having something a little more permament so we could shortly have them memorized after a few plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Look up the list of moon powers on the warp. you can just use those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
oatesatm wrote:
To make a long story short --- I traded a couple games to get myself a 2nd copy of CE, painted the 2nd set, etc. etc. etc. and decided to print out stickers to make actual looking planets, 10 sets of 5.

In most cases, we'll probably use a regular set, but I was thinking (after looking at the Reverse Hex rules) about also having each type of planet with it's own special "power" and each player drawing 5 planets at random from the 50. I could make a reference card to keep track.

I'd like to get 10 ideas from people, such as "Ships lost in battle on this planet are removed from the game", or, "Offense adds +5 in battles on this planet". Any ideas help, even if you can't come up with all 10. Thanks.

You have tempted me, sir! I love coming up with variants!

Do you want these planet powers to all be beneficial to the owners? And if so, by how much? Or should they each simply alter the challenge or other rules without automatically favoring one side or the other? Or the could even be harmful to their owners. So many possibilities!

Also, it's a good idea to have the planet powers incorporate thematic elements.

Assuming you want them to be somewhat "neutral", here's a few ideas:

1. Rich Planet: Whoever has the most tokens on this planet can always use his power, regardless of the number of home bases he has.

2. Dense Atmosphere: Attack Card values are halved in attacks on this planet.

3. Distant Planet: A player attacking this planet must first discard a card from his hand. (It takes more resources to get there.)

4. Close Planet: A main player's tokens (ships) on an adjacent planet add to his side's attack total.

5. Polluted Planet: One token (ship) must be removed from this planet to another base at the start of that player's turn. The owner of the token chooses it and where it goes.

6. Small Planet: No allies can be involved in challenges on this planet.

7. Hot Planet: Challenge Cards must be placed face up in challenges on this planet. Players may take back their card and play a different one upon seeing their opponent's card. Both players may do this as many times as they want until neither side wants to change the card played. (The planet is so close to its sun that everything is very brightly lit, so it's easy to see what an attacker is doing.)

8. Big Planet: Attacks on this planet only target half of the tokens, the others are not involved in the challenge.

9. Famous Planet: Counts as two planets for victory for other players, or one planet (one foreign base) for the player who's home system it's in.

10. Serene Planet: No attacks are allowed on this planet. You can still gain a base here through Negotiation or other means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
You have tempted me, sir! I love coming up with variants!

Do you want these planet powers to all be beneficial to the owners? And if so, by how much? Or should they each simply alter the challenge or other rules without automatically favoring one side or the other? Or the could even be harmful to their owners. So many possibilities!

Also, it's a good idea to have the planet powers incorporate thematic elements.

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I really like them. I'm hoping to get a consensus and choose 10 that are in harmony with the theme but also fun and simple. I'll probably try to upload the pictures, it might help.

I was thinking of just having each player choose 5 at random (maybe out of the box top, for example) whatever they get is what they get: good, bad, etc., work with what you've got (just like your alien, your cards, etc.) ---- just seems appropriate for this game.

So to answer your question, I would prefer them to alter the challenge, could benefit the owner, could hurt the owner, could fall somewhere in the middle.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
1. Rich Planet: Whoever has the most tokens on this planet can always use his power, regardless of the number of home bases he has.

I had thought about the antithesis, that on this planet nobody could use their alien power.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
2. Dense Atmosphere: Attack Card values are halved in attacks on this planet.

I thought about dropping a digit or adding the 2 digits together, but this makes more sense, although I'm not a big fan of halves/thirds/etc., while I like math, fractions can be a pain in this game sometimes (although this would only create a .50 at worst).

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
3. Distant Planet: A player attacking this planet must first discard a card from his hand. (It takes more resources to get there.)

I really like this one a lot.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
4. Close Planet: A main player's tokens (ships) on an adjacent planet add to his side's attack total.

I like this one too, maybe have it that all a player's ships in that system count toward his total, or something similar / easy to figure out.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
5. Polluted Planet: One token (ship) must be removed from this planet to another base at the start of that player's turn. The owner of the token chooses it and where it goes.

Might be a little hard to remember when the time comes.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
6. Small Planet: No allies can be involved in challenges on this planet.

I also had a 'no allies' idea, so this might make it in.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
7. Hot Planet: Challenge Cards must be placed face up in challenges on this planet. Players may take back their card and play a different one upon seeing their opponent's card. Both players may do this as many times as they want until neither side wants to change the card played. (The planet is so close to its sun that everything is very brightly lit, so it's easy to see what an attacker is doing.)

Very interesting, I really like it but feels like it may need a tweak or two, just can't put my finger on it.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
8. Big Planet: Attacks on this planet only target half of the tokens, the others are not involved in the challenge.

I might make it that the defender can choose how many of his tokens are at risk (minimum of 1), sending the excess to other colonies before encounter cards are selected.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
9. Famous Planet: Counts as two planets for victory for other players, or one planet (one foreign base) for the player who's home system it's in.

Possibly hard to keep track of, or, depending on the draw, the home player ending up with 2 (or more) to start the game which might be a bit much.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
10. Serene Planet: No attacks are allowed on this planet. You can still gain a base here through Negotiation or other means.

This is another interesting one, I like it a lot but feel like it needs a tweak, maybe not.

Thanks for your suggestions, I had stupid stuff like "add +5 to the offense", but these help make things interesting so I'm glad you were tempted. This has turned into my favorite game, so maybe I'm going a bit overboard, but it seems like it works with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these are great... you could easily have a larger pool of possibilities. I'm going to make a set!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm... Sure why not?

11: Mobile planet
Whoever has the most tokens on this planet may relocate it to a system of their choice during the destiny phase. It is treated as a part of whatever system it occupies for purposes of counting bases, and pointing the encounter cone. Whoever has the most tokens on the planet is the defensive player if this planet is attacked.(if it's vacant, then the system owner is defender)

12: Jungle planet
One token is immediately lost to the warp whenever a base is established on this planet.

13: Arctic planet
Tokens on this planet can only be removed one at a time.

14: cloudy planet
When pointing the cone at this planet, the defender is chosen at random from the bases on the planet(excluding bases owned by the attacker) (the idea here is that the cloud cover is so heavy you can't see who you're attacking)

15: Mogo hates freeloaders
If you have a base on this planet(and aren't the owner) you must give Mogo one card from your hand at the beginning of each turn, or lose a token from the base to the warp. If you're the owner and you evict a foreign colony from Mogo, Mogo gives you the collected cards.

(hehe, it's the sentient planet in DC comics)

16: Nebulous planet
Bases on this planet cannot have more than two tokens on them. (unless there's nowhere else to put them)

17: Lightning planet
Whenever a base is attacked on this planet, both sides lose half their tokens(rounded up) to the warp. (Battle fleets get zapped straight to the warp by lightning)

18: Armistice world
All attack cards played here are treated as though they have a value of 0. If have a colony here and you lose a battle due to playing a negotiate you get compensation as normal but your ships to not go to the warp. (the winning player gets a colony as normal)

19: Cyborg planet
Tokens located on this planet have a value of 2.

20: Ego eats invaders
Whenever you establish a base on this planet you must discard a non-encounter card or your tokens on the planet are sent to the warp.

(Ego, from Marvel comics, is decidedly meaner than his DC counterpart)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more I've thought of:

21. Unstable Planet: Main Players in challenges in this planet play two attack cards face down, their opponents choose one at random to be played.

22. Metal planet: This planet does not count as a base for any purpose, but anyone with a base here adds 5 to their total in ALL challenges. (There's no arable land, so it's not worth anything as a colony, but the metal resources give a military advantage. Maybe call this "Military Planet" or "Outpost Planet.")

23. Barrier Planet: You must have a base on this planet before you can attack any other planet in the same system.

24. Tidally Locked Planet: This planet has a permanent light side and dark side. Any base is on one side or the other. If only one player has a base on this planet, the next attack on it will be on the uninhabited side. The existing base is not at risk.

25. Anomalous Orbit Planet: Whenever an attack on this planet succeeds, play reverses direction.

26. Hollow Planet: Tokens lost in challenges on this planet do not go to the Warp - they go to the inside (designate however is convenient). When a player has no tokens in the Warp at the beginning of a challenge, he may draw a token from the hollow space and place it on this planet.

27. Vacation Planet: When you establish a base on this planet, you may immediately move as many of your tokens as you wish from other bases to this planet.

28. Dismal Planet: When you establish a base on this planet, you may immediately move as many of your tokens as you wish from this planet to other bases.

29. Red Zone Planet: You may remove all of your tokens on this planet to the Warp at any time, and take a free Flare from the unused Flare Deck.

30. Black Zone Planet: You may remove a token from this planet to the Warp at any time and draw a card from the Challenge Deck into your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#22: this would kinda suck to draw as part of your homesystem. y? easy power loss. But.... the upside probably more than makes up for it. Besides it's kinda like a lightning rod.

#24: this would make for an easy first colony. If the owner lives on the light side anyone else who attacks will automatically be directed to the dark side. How does it work afterwards? Is it challenged as normal? If so it's kinda bad. more downside than upside for the owner.

#26: I'd make it have a second disk that goes with it to hold the "inside" tokens.

#29: I'm guessing you mean to draw at random, being able to choose a flare seems a bit much.

BTW what'd you think of my ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
#22: this would kinda suck to draw as part of your homesystem. y? easy power loss. But.... the upside probably more than makes up for it. Besides it's kinda like a lightning rod.

Well, it gives the home system an advantage to start with over everyone else, and there may be less motivation to attack it, since it doesn't count towards victory.

Quote:
#24: this would make for an easy first colony. If the owner lives on the light side anyone else who attacks will automatically be directed to the dark side. How does it work afterwards? Is it challenged as normal? If so it's kinda bad. more downside than upside for the owner.

It basically works like two separate planets, except you can only have a base on one of them. There's not too much upside or downside, since it just means you won't necessarily be attacked on it. Other players attacking can just leave you alone.

Quote:
#29: I'm guessing you mean to draw at random, being able to choose a flare seems a bit much.

Yes. Randomly drawn was the idea. In the Mayfair edition, with More Cosmic Encounter, you could buy a random flare for 7 Lucre.

Quote:
BTW what'd you think of my ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
11: Mobile planet
Is the planet move before or after Destiny is determined? What's to stop the owning player from moving it to a system not being attacked? Then it's just a planet you can never attack. Or you could move it into the current player's home system, where he's less likely to want to attack it.

12: Jungle planet
No upside to establishing a base on it. No one would ever try to take it from the original owner.

13: Arctic planet
Again, no upside to attacking it.

14: cloudy planet
Not bad, you could even shake all the tokens together and draw one to determine the defender. Thus the more tokens a player has, the more likely he'll be attacked there.

15: Mogo hates freeloaders
Why would anyone ever want to establish a base there?

16: Nebulous planet
Can you still attack with more than two?

17: Lightning planet
Possible.

18: Armistice world
Interesting idea, but I'm not so sure it would work. The outcome is pretty much pre-determined before cards are selected.

19: Cyborg planet
OK, but probably wouldn't have much impact.

20: Ego eats invaders
Why would anyone go there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the basic gist of it is that they're all various "speedbump" type things. Not necessarily helpful to take over, but at the same time not particularly harmful to own either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
I think these are great... you could easily have a larger pool of possibilities. I'm going to make a set!
I want to see it!

Anyways, I've revised some of my previous submissions for rules clarifications. I was planning on doing this earlier but I forgot about it.

11: Mobile planet: Whoever has the most tokens on this planet may relocate it to a system of their choice before the flip during the destiny phase. It is treated as a part of whatever system it occupies for purposes of counting bases, and pointing the encounter cone. Whoever has the most tokens on the planet is the defensive player if this planet is attacked.(if it's vacant, then the system owner is defender)

Fixed to clarify that it doesn't move AFTER the target is chosen.

12: Jungle planet: Whenever a base is established on this planet, one token from the base is immediately lost to the warp.

reworded to clarify.
@Phil: you only lose ONE token from the base. Whenever you attack with more than 2 tokens you still get a base.

13: Arctic planet: Tokens on this planet can only be removed one at a time.

@Phil: I don't see it as a big issue. You can take one off each time you muster an invasion force or ally.

14: cloudy planet: When pointing the cone at this planet, the defender is chosen at random from the bases on the planet, excluding bases owned by the attacker. (the idea here is that the cloud cover is so heavy you can't see who you're attacking)

I like Phil's idea about shaking the tokens together, but I'm not sure how to word it that way.

15: Mogo hates freeloaders: If you have a base on this planet(and aren't the owner) you must give Mogo one card from your hand at the beginning of your turn, or lose a token from the base to the warp. If you're the system owner and you attack a foreign colony on Mogo and win, Mogo gives you the collected cards. You may discard them if you wish, but you must either keep them all or discard them all.

changed to be only your turn and not everyone's. After thinking about it I decided it was a bit too much the other way. With 4 players it'd completely drain your hand within 1 turn. I also gave the owner the option to trash the cards to avoid getting stuck with junk, to balance it I made it all or none.

16: Nebulous planet: Bases on this planet cannot have more than two tokens on them, unless there's nowhere else to put them. You may attack a base on this planet with more than two ships, but the excess ships must be sent to your other bases if you win.

minor clarification

17: Lightning planet: Whenever a base is attacked on this planet, both sides lose half their tokens(rounded down) to the warp. (Battle fleets get zapped straight to the warp by lightning)

changed to rounded down, otherwise it'd be too easy for a defender to get totally wiped out. It'd also have a sign that says "Macron keep out". Shadow would still love it though.

18: Armistice world: All attack cards played here are treated as though they have a value of 0. If you have a colony here and you lose a battle due to playing a negotiate you get compensation as normal but your ships to not go to the warp. The winning player gets a colony as normal.

@phil: It's not completely predetermined. True, Warrior would RULE here, but the challenge is still determined by the ship totals(including allies), also it doesn't prevent reinforcements from being played, and you CAN negotiate.

19: Cyborg planet: Tokens located on this planet have a value of 2.

20: Ego eats invaders: Whenever you establish a base on this planet you must discard a non-encounter card or your tokens on the planet are sent to the warp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.