Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, what is the official ruling if a Consul finds himself with less than 5 CU's (obviously NOT self-inflicted by dropping off CU's etc).

I do understand a Consul must be placed with at least 5 CU's during reinforcements.

Can they still Move?
Battle?
Intercept?

help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote from the rules:

Quote:
There is no penalty if a Consular Army falls below five
CUs due to attrition, battle or retreat; and if it does, it may not
drop off or leave behind CUs until it again contains more than
five CUs.

So: No penalty for your consular army, you can still move, attack, ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter White
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
mercom wrote:
OK, what is the official ruling if a Consul finds himself with less than 5 CU's (obviously NOT self-inflicted by dropping off CU's etc).

I do understand a Consul must be placed with at least 5 CU's during reinforcements.

Can they still Move?
Battle?
Intercept?

help...

Yes. Yes. Yes.

As a practical matter, the only major limitation is when armies move through the same space. A consul with less than 5 CUs can restrict your movement, in cases.

The classic example would be a one two punch on Hannibal. Suppose Rome plays a Campaign card, sending Consul Marcellus with 10 CUs against Hannibal who promptly loses 7 CUs in the battle. Ouch. Then Proconsul Scipio Africanus sweeps in with the follow-up attack but he has to move through Marcellus' space to get at Hannibal. Scipion A. must drop off 2 CUs with Marcellus before making the attack on Hannibal.

The weird annoying one is that you can be forced to combine Consul armies. Suppose I have a whupped Consul Varro with 2 CUs left and I want to move a Consul Marcellus with 7 CUs through the same space. Marcellus will be forced to pick up Varro and the 2 CUs. Varro with 2 CUs might have been a useful speedbump or able to retreat to within a friendly city, giving Marcellus some tactical latitude. Now I have a combined army that Hannibal will be tempted kill because Varro may be in charge on the day of battle -- potentially losing me Marcellus as a general and "two" armies in one blow. That one can sneak up on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Borg
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another annoying thing that happens if you have 5 or less CUs is that you can't drop off a trail of units for later PC conversion. Happened to me in a game last night when I didn't realize it.

Fredrik.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.