Popular Tags: [View All]
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometime in the near future, I'm planning to hold an intense, all day session of heavy economic games with a few friends. This is one of those cases where, instead of gaming all day "as the spirit moves us," I'm in the mood to tailor the experience. The focus will be on heavier games, but a light gamer or two could be on the schedule for a change of pace. I hope to create a killer game day that no one will forget anytime soon. If you're a fan of heavy economic games, feel free to help out as I plan for and eagerly anticipate this session.

Any games involved will be ones I'm already familiar with. If you want to recommend a heavy economic game that I haven't played, knock yourself out.

The choices are:

Indonesia
Age of Steam
Brass: Lancashire
The Scepter of Zavandor
Imperial
Chicago Express
Acquire

I don't think we can play all of these in one day. Which ones would you choose, what order would you want to play them in, and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dodor
United States
St. Paul
MN
flag msg tools
badge
I'm gonna be the next Canadian Dracula
mbmbmbmbmb
Container. You needs some Container.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'd drop Acquire and replace it with the far more interesting Stephenson's Rocket. I'd also lose DZvZ and Brass as not-my-sort-of-game. That leaves:

Stephenson's Rocket, Indonesia, Age of Steam, Imperial, Chicago Express

Which is about 9-10 hours and not quite a full gamesday. Hurm. Drop out Indonesia, fine game though it is and replace it with one of the 18xx. 1856 would be a fine choice. Suggested ordering, squeezing in Container as a closer if it fits:

1) Stephenson's Rocket
2) Imperial
Lunch break
3) Chicago Express
4) 1856
Dinner Break
5) Age of Steam
6) Container
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jay
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think ramping up the complexity / length would probably make sense, especially if you were planning on teaching any games that day. Also, a variety of themes could also help to keep things interesting.

If I ran the circus, I'd probably go with the following order:
- Chicago Express (a nice, short opener)
- Imperial (totally different theme)
- Brass
- Indonesia
and then finish off with Modern Art (a quick auction game with a deep, player-defined marketplace)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hagen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
age agree eek egg erg gag gage game gamer gee geek gem germ keg kegger mag mage meek mega merge reek rem
mb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Sometime in the near future, I'm planning to hold an intense, all day session of heavy economic games with a few friends.

I was under the impression this was called "first Saturday of the month."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very very good list. I'd also throw in Vino or Medieval Merchant (or both!) as Christwart Conrad is a master of economics.

And if you are really up for some of the heaviest economic sim ever add in Star Trader

oh and Planet Steam has a bunch of wonderful market manipulations too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhagen1908 wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
Sometime in the near future, I'm planning to hold an intense, all day session of heavy economic games with a few friends.

I was under the impression this was called "first Saturday of the month."

LOL. If you want to play all these games on Saturday, I'm right there with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarnubaWax wrote:
I think ramping up the complexity / length would probably make sense, especially if you were planning on teaching any games that day. Also, a variety of themes could also help to keep things interesting.

If I ran the circus, I'd probably go with the following order:
- Chicago Express (a nice, short opener)
- Imperial (totally different theme)
- Brass
- Indonesia
and then finish off with Modern Art (a quick auction game with a deep, player-defined marketplace)

I'm rather taken with this sequence. I was thinking of Acquire for the Modern Art slot, but it's the same idea (light closer). I've never played MA, oddly enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I'd drop Acquire and replace it with the far more interesting Stephenson's Rocket. I'd also lose DZvZ and Brass as not-my-sort-of-game. That leaves:

Stephenson's Rocket, Indonesia, Age of Steam, Imperial, Chicago Express

Which is about 9-10 hours and not quite a full gamesday. Hurm. Drop out Indonesia, fine game though it is and replace it with one of the 18xx. 1856 would be a fine choice. Suggested ordering, squeezing in Container as a closer if it fits:

1) Stephenson's Rocket
2) Imperial
Lunch break
3) Chicago Express
4) 1856
Dinner Break
5) Age of Steam
6) Container

This might end up being the "new and improved Economic games day" sometime down the road, as it would require me to learn three new games (1, 4, and 6)! All of them are floating around in the group's collections, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wtrollkin2000 wrote:
A very very good list. I'd also throw in Vino or Medieval Merchant (or both!) as Christwart Conrad is a master of economics.

And if you are really up for some of the heaviest economic sim ever add in Star Trader

oh and Planet Steam has a bunch of wonderful market manipulations too...

I'd be all over Planet Steam. There may not be a copy in Madison (or at least that I know of). That's unusual. Any word on another printing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I second Stephenson's Rocket (though I wouldn't drop Acquire), and also propose Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
JohnRayJr wrote:
This might end up being the "new and improved Economic games day" sometime down the road, as it would require me to learn three new games (1, 4, and 6)!

Stephenson's Rocket is an easy teach and a fairly easy to play game if not nearly so easy to play well. I've taught and played it many times in little more than an hour. Learning the 18xx and Container is a delight I'll leave between you and your conscience!

Quote:
All of them are floating around in the group's collections, though.

Ahh temptation, come hither!

russ wrote:
I second Stephenson's Rocket...

One of the fine Doctor's two best designs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If you're feeling retro, find or DIY make your own copy of the old Microgame Trailblazer, an economic space/SF game by Greg Costikyan about pickup and delivery of various commodities. I recall it having an interesting believable interesting economic model for supply/demand price changes that seemed very inspired by real economics and also worked nicely as a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I come? I might actually make the trek to Wisconsin for a line up like this (clearclaw's suggestion). Just bring some Aspirin as your brain will be burned by the end of the day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
kendahlj wrote:
Can I come? I might actually make the trek to Wisconsin for a line up like this (clearclaw's suggestion). Just bring some Aspirin as your brain will be burned by the end of the day...

On Friday we played 1846, 18Mex and 1832. I got home at 07:30 in the morning after ~15 hours gaming and am still feeling the after-effects. I'm clearly no longer as young as I used to be. Bah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think an initial run for us might look something like:

1.) Chicago Express
2.) Brass
3.) Indonesia
4.) Age of Steam
5.) Chicago Express

Has an nice shape to it. Ambitious, but not hardcore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.